Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Which stores do you recommended? Costco or America's Tire?
I've used both and I think both are okay. The problem with Costco is that they have a limited selection of tires and I've also found their wait times to be long and I only last about 5 minutes when wandering inside a Costco before I want out of there. Discount/America's Tire has more of a selection usually, is faster about installing the tires usually, and is excellent at fixing flats with no fuss. Their prices are usually about the same as Costco but if not they price match pretty readily.

A story - I once bought some tires for an SUV at Costco but settled for something other than what I really wanted due to their lack of selection. I think I ended up with BFG rather than Michelin. After driving on them for about 20 miles or so I just couldn't get over not liking the ride, handling, noise of them and had some buyer's remorse. On a whim I went to Discount Tire and explained my situation and asked if they'd consider something like a swap for the tires I really wanted, which they had in stock, not really expecting them to do so without at least a big cost hit to me. They checked out the tires on my vehicle and ended up giving me the full price credit on the tires, i.e. what I paid Costco, and credited that amount to the Michelins I wanted, and which had a good price on them in the first place. I went through with the swap and was very happy with them and they continue to get my business - but I do price check against Costco each time regardless - but Discount tire has always matched up well price-wise against Costco.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've also liked Discount Tire/America's Tire much better than Costco over the years for the same reasons. America's Tire will also price match almost anyone, so I've been able to haggle them quite low (e.g. $300 installed for a set of 17" tires, Hankook Evos).

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't have any Discount Tire/America's Tire near where I live. My usual go to place for tires is a local tire shop, who has developed a reputation for excellent price and service. On occasion I have bought tires from Costco since they had the best deal on the tires I wanted at the time. Yes, the wait times can balloon pretty quickly, so I've either gotten there well before the tire shop opened to be first in line; or I've arranged for someone to pick me up and drop me back off later.

Optimistically speaking, I believe the Continentals on my MDX have around 5/32 of tread depth remaining. I'm closing in on 45K, and I think shortly after 50K I'll be replacing them. I don't think the tires will be at the wear bars, but I plan on getting a new set later this year before winter arrives. The Michelin Defender LTX are at the top of my list of replacement candidates, followed by the Continental CrossContact LX20. Looking forward to hearing more opinions on and experiences from others with replacement tires.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't have any Discount Tire/America's Tire near where I live. My usual go to place for tires is a local tire shop, who has developed a reputation for excellent price and service. On occasion I have bought tires from Costco since they had the best deal on the tires I wanted at the time. Yes, the wait times can balloon pretty quickly, so I've either gotten there well before the tire shop opened to be first in line; or I've arranged for someone to pick me up and drop me back off later.

Optimistically speaking, I believe the Continentals on my MDX have around 5/32 of tread depth remaining. I'm closing in on 45K, and I think shortly after 50K I'll be replacing them. I don't think the tires will be at the wear bars, but I plan on getting a new set later this year before winter arrives. The Michelin Defender LTX are at the top of my list of replacement candidates, followed by the Continental CrossContact LX20. Looking forward to hearing more opinions on and experiences from others with replacement tires.
I am in a same boat as you. Mine is around 42K and planning to replace with either Michelin or the original tires (Continentals) in a couple months before winter arrive. I never try or had experience with Michelin tires so i can't speak much.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I put the Michelin Defender LTX M/S on our 2016 Pilot to replace worn-out stock Contis and they are fine. I can't really tell the difference on-road but the Michelins are a bit more confident in light off-road conditions. The Michelins are supposed to be better in winter, but I have Blizzaks for that. The one issue with the LTXs is that they look a bit more "truckish" because of the blocky edge. Not an issue for me on the Pilot, but I'm not sure if they will pass the wife approval factor for her 2014 MDX, which is getting there on the stock Contis. I stretched them another season by getting dedicated winter tires ( Nokian Hakkapeliittas... awesome winter tires and I just can't stop saying that name ), but that is the quandary. I'm inclined to get the Michelins for that vehicle too, but we'll see.

Another option is Michelin Premier LTX, and I put those on an older MDX in our family fleet, but that one doesn't rack up many miles at this point. Treadwear may be an issue with those tires, from some reports.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Continental tires WORN after 22k miles on car?
I have a 2016 MDX bought brand new from the factory.

I had multiple alignment issues and the dealer did have to test out my tires a few times to see if they are defective, never were found to be defective.

Now, 1 year later, My TWO FRONT TIRES are down to 3/32?
2 Rear tires are down to 7/32?

How could this happen? We did rotations everytime and for gods sake we are at 22k miles total on a car I bought brand new!

Could it be that the tires were filled with Nitrogen?
They were piumped up to 36 lbs (1 lb over) but still ??

Attachments

·
Registered
695 Posts
Air is 78% nitrogen.....zero to do with it...how often did you rotate the tires? Sounds like driving habits to me.

·
Registered
492 Posts
How could this happen? We did rotations everytime and for gods sake we are at 22k miles total on a car I bought brand new!
It's plausible that the tires were never rotated, you have a huge differential between the front and rear that strongly suggests rotations did not happen. Service tech not rotating the tires on a quick 'turn and burn' service is far from unfathomable.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Assuming the measurements were properly made, that's almost impossible to happen if the tires were properly rotated although it really depends on the mileage rather than the 'year'. How many miles did you put on it in that year? The tires s/b rotated about every 5k-8k miles which would normally mean about 2-3 times in a year for the average miles most people put on.

The nitrogen and 36 psi almost certainly have nothing to do with it. Non-rotation would have a lot to do with it.

I think I replaced my Contis at around 40K something (I may have posted the exact mileage upthread). I rotate the tires myself so I know with certainty that a proper job was done and I set the pressure to factory - 35psi cold.

If your mileage for the year is low or if you think they were supposedly rotated about every 5k-8k miles, I think you should have a talk with the manager of the service department (not the service adviser - many of whom know little mechanically about cars). Explain to him that you think it's impossible for the tires to indicate these wear numbers if they were rotated - assuming you and they have records of the rotation allegedly done by them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My conti gave me 45k....very happy with Michelin defender....got a great deal at Costco. This month Costco has deal on Bridgestone but I am sure next month will be on Michelin

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
268 Posts
Continental tires WORN after 22k miles on car?
I have a 2016 MDX bought brand new from the factory.

I had multiple alignment issues and the dealer did have to test out my tires a few times to see if they are defective, never were found to be defective.

This model of Continental tires is known from having a bit of uneven wear. I had mine rotated at every oil change yet they weren't quite evenly worn when I replaced them. The wear wasn't too far off among all four tires though, with a maximum difference of 2/32" between the most and least worn. I have a coworker who had these Continentals on a Land Rover, and I think the variance among his tires was a little bit more than mine.

Usually when I bring in my cars for service the dealership does a complimentary multi-point inspection. The condition of everything they look at is checked as green, yellow, or red on the inspection sheet. Part of the inspection is a measurement of tread depth, and they list the actual measurements for each tire. Not sure if your dealership does the same, but if they do it's something they probably should have noted before.

You say you did have alignment issues. I'm wondering if the dealer made any adjustments there, as improper alignment can also lead to increased tire wear.

It is plausible that during one of the scheduled services, the dealer skipped a tire rotation. Also as mentioned, driving habits could come into play here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bought a used 2015 Tech with 86,000 miles with original Conti tires. Not good, but well taken care of, even wear not worn to wear bars. Replaced them ASAP with Michelin Defender LTX from Costco. Love the Defenders.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just ordred Defenders off Costco to replace OEM conti after reading all the reviews. Contis lasted 42k miles on 2015 SHAWD. OEM tires were manufactured in 2014 and starting to show signs of dry rot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
lx sport has no tread wear warranty and IIRC a treadwear rating of about 400. I'd say my mdx conti's lx sport will last about 30-35K miles. I get my tires at discount tire/america's tire and they are very good at honoring treadwear warranty and don't require you replace the tire with even the same brand of tire, and the apply the warranty to the dealer price for tires, not the MSRP so replacement set costs about 1/2 of retail after treadwear warranty is applied. It doesn't seem to matter what the brand is or if it's a tire on my diesel truck, my roadster, sedan or SUV.

Our daughter has the conti LX20 on her edge, treadwear warranty is 70K miles. she has just under 40K on them and they are almost down to the wear bars. She's off to discount tire to get LX25's.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Literally every tire manufacturer makes good or great tires as well as some crappy tires, though often times what one person thinks is crappy another thinks is great. That's because every feature built into a tire comes at the sacrifice of another feature. Softer rubber compounds that give great dry traction don't last very long. Long wearing tires or tires designed for best fuel economy use low rolling resistance compounds that don't give great traction. Aggressive tread patterns perform well earl, but typically get noisy later, and tires that give spirited handling jar the passengers while a smooth riding tire feels like mush in a corner. In the end you have to understand what different tires do and pick one that suits your priorities.

On the wear issue, where and how you drive, as well as dedication to regular rotations, plays more of a role in how long tires last than anything else. Lots of stop and go, turns, etc., especially in the south west where pavement mixes are heavy on stone and less tar to make them stand up to the heat will wear tires a lot faster than the upper mid west where cold weather means higher tar mix to keep the pavement softer and more flexible for the freeze/thaw cycles. Lots of highway miles makes tires last much longer too. My wife's Honda Odyssey just got 80K out of a set of tires (would have gone more if not for a puncture) and still had 7/32 tread remaining. Probably would have got to 100K.

Having been in the tire biz I almost never "sold" Michelin because rarely did I ever not find a tire that was as good or better for substantially less money. If a customer came in with their mind made up then ok, but my conversion rate was 90%+ to Continental, General (owned by Continental), or Goodyear, but I never knew what I would ultimately recommend until I pulled the size as not every tire is available in every size. On the MDX it is generally best to stick with a tire that was designed for the crossover or SUV market as tires designed for sedans don't give the performance characteristics SUV drivers want nor do they last very well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have found I need to run at least 37 lbs not the 35 they recommend to get even wear. I have totally even wear and got 38,000 out of the Conti's now run General Altimax 43 and at 21,000 still 8/32 left and they were very reasonable, good tire for the money in snow, wet and dry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put 60k miles on my ‘15 AWD w/Tech in 3 years I had it. Returned the lease with bold tires :) . Continental are awesome. I did mostly freeway driving in LA traffic to/from work about 40 miles each way, as well as a few road trips in between. No issues with them. My ‘19 has Michelins.... we’ll see how long they last for.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's tougher for our tire size too... Not many good choices without paying high dollar. I've always wanted a Continental DW and DWS in our size, but nope. The Michelins I've seen are pretty much low resistance tires for mpgs but they can get plenty loud and don't drive well. Decisions... Decisions...

The 17+ 20" wheels have a more common tire size with more choices.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
The Premiers are a lot better than the OEM Contis performance wise.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The Premiers are a lot better than the OEM Contis performance wise.
Yeah it was a toss up between the Premiers and the Defenders in the end, but I haggled the Defenders down at America's Tire considerably during one of those Costco sales and also had an additional coupon from Michellin to boot. Ended up getting them for about $380 mounted and balanced and they are definitely MILES ahead of the OEM Contis.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts