Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Continental Tires about to hit 40,000 Miles and it's time to replace. Is it only last for around 40,000 miles?

2016 MDX/ShAWD, Size: 245/55R19 103H (CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT)

Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'd say 40k miles is doing pretty well.

Keep in mind tread-life "warranties" assume the tires aren't retired until they are worn to 2/32" of remaining tread ( which is the legal minimum ). Which may be OK in the desert, but for rain 4/32" is a better threshold. And for decent performance in snow, 5-6/32" may be a minimum, depending on tread design.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Conti Mileage

My Continental Tires about to hit 40,000 Miles and it's time to replace. Is it only last for around 40,000 miles?

2016 MDX/ShAWD, Size: 245/55R19 103H (CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT)

Thanks

That's about what I got- I could have pushed them another couple thousand, but I was going into winter, and it was time...

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
54,000 miles on mine. 7/32 on front. 6/32 on rear. I am thinking about replacing them though. I don't like going down to wear bars. Same size as OP.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have 39K and mine look terrible, yes some thread left, but the shoulders are worn and the tire just looks bad. My MDX has been maintained by Acura religiously to include tire rotations. We're putting Michelins on it this week. In the past the MDXs came with Michelins, which were much better tires..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have 39K and mine look terrible, yes some thread left, but the shoulders are worn and the tire just looks bad. My MDX has been maintained by Acura religiously to include tire rotations. We're putting Michelins on it this week. In the past the MDXs came with Michelins, which were much better tires..
I am also looking for a new tires soon and always go back and forth with either Continental or Michelin Tires. It's hard to choose one from the other.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
It's tougher for our tire size too... Not many good choices without paying high dollar. I've always wanted a Continental DW and DWS in our size, but nope. The Michelins I've seen are pretty much low resistance tires for mpgs but they can get plenty loud and don't drive well. Decisions... Decisions...

The 17+ 20" wheels have a more common tire size with more choices.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Again,55,000 miles and no problems. The shoulders being worn usually mean alignment problems. You've rotated them. Have you had an alignment?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just had A16 service at 44,000 miles. I had 4/32s left on my Michelin Latitudes (19 inch, Tech/Entertainment 2014 model)
I decided to put new ones on. Didn't see the point in going back to dealer to put on new tires in less than 2 months/driving in rain on highway with not much tire wear left. I was happy with the tire life over 44,000 miles
brakes have 7/32 left which means i can probably go another 10,000 miles before replacing

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
You will get a touch more tire wear overall with sh-awd compared to fwd only vehicle. You will sometimes get more wear on the driver side sidewall edge compared to passenger side because right hand turns are usually sharper compared to longer left hand turns (think 90 degree right turns from stop light or cloverleaf on/off ramps).

Rotations, cross rotations, adjusting PSI, and checking alignment can get you a few more miles and keep the road noise down. I rotate/cross-rotate to make sure all 4 tires sit at all four corners during their treadlife. I always make sure to pick non-directional tires for all my vehicles so I can cross rotate them (Conti DWS 06 on all of them).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Again,55,000 miles and no problems. The shoulders being worn usually mean alignment problems. You've rotated them. Have you had an alignment?
Yes, Acura has aligned the MDX as required. Our dealer service rep has said multiple times the Contis are bad tires, and I agree with him based on the poor performance since new. Just my opinion, great luck with yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm replacing my Continentals at 45,000. They have been good. I have always like Michelin's better though. Any opinions on Cont. Cross Contact vs Michelin LTX?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Our dealer service rep has said...
Dealer service reps typically know little about vehicles. I wouldn't put any faith in what they have to say. Their job is really just to enter the complaint into the system, schedule it to be serviced by a tech who actually does know something about mechanics, and then call the customer when the vehicle's done - i.e. they're nothing more than a scheduler/clerk.

I have Continentals that have about 40K miles on them now. They've been fine tires that have handled well and have held up well and that didn't develop any unusual wear patterns - and unlike some here, I don't believe that vehicles need frequent 'alignments' and in fact they don't. The only time a vehicle should need an alignment is if it was set wrong initially at the factory or if severe damage was sustained to the steering components, which doesn't happen in the normal course of driving, or if steering components are worn out, in which case the steering components s/b replaced (and an alignment done following that). I've not had mine aligned in the 40K miles I've had it and it still tracks straight and true and there's no uneven tire wear. I do rotate the tires at the same time I change the oil (7.5k-10k miles or so) and every now and then adjust the inflation to factory specs (35psi cold).

I'd be willing to buy these same Continentals again and likely will although I'll do another price check on the Michelins first. I've purchased Michelins for years as well (including Michelin LTX for other vehicles - and I like them) and like them but the last time I checked the factory Michelins on the MDX are significantly more costly than the factory Continentals so I'm not sure they're worth the premium price. Any comparison or opinions on the relative merits of one versus the other should include the variable of the cost of the tire.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I know that you said it was maintained,but it still sounds like an alignment issue. All 4 of my tires with 54,000 miles are worn the same. Absolutely no issues. I have never had an alignment. This last service was the first time it was even checked. New advanced service procedure. Alignment was fine. I am in the Chicago area,so amazing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'd argue the alignment ought to be good for the majority of the vehicle's life and then I take a trip up north for work and I'm thankful I'm in a rental. Some folks deal with terrible roads.

Our dirt roads are smoother than your paved roads. ;)

I'm a fan of Michelins. Haven't had to buy tires for our MDX yet but will probably go with the Michelins on this vehicle too. For me they do a better job and staying in balance and keeping the old tire roar away longer than other brands.

We have an older sedan as well (diff brand car) with Coopers and they really roar in their old age.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd argue the alignment ought to be good for the majority of the vehicle's life and then I take a trip up north for work and I'm thankful I'm in a rental. Some folks deal with terrible roads.

Our dirt roads are smoother than your paved roads. ;)

I'm a fan of Michelins. Haven't had to buy tires for our MDX yet but will probably go with the Michelins on this vehicle too. For me they do a better job and staying in balance and keeping the old tire roar away longer than other brands.

We have an older sedan as well (diff brand car) with Coopers and they really roar in their old age.
I am thinking to switch onto "Michelin Tires" and see which one is better. I have Continentals on mine 16 now and will see if it handle better and last longer than the Original tires. Which stores do you recommended? Costco or America's Tire?

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have no experience with either store. I use a Mom 'n Pop local store in my town which has always delivered good service and stood behind their tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I put on Michelin Defender LTX when I changed my wheels. They are flawless in the snow and have a very quiet ride. Only have about 8k miles on them. But so far so good.
That's my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts