Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

281 - 285 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Best box solution I've found is the Inno 660 wedge. Low profile too so I can drive into my garage.

Anyone else have success with roof cargo boxes on 3rd gen. factory rails? From above looks like the Thule Motion XT (L) will work with some padding, would be nice to find out the XL works as well. Looking for largest capacity without hitting fin or tailgate, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
VAGAtor

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just installed the cargo box today. I test fitted at REI before purchasing. The Yakima Skybox Box 16 fits with no interference to both tailgate or antenna. I’m using the Yakima Crossbar Streamline systems everything fits with no issue. The box is sitting next to the bike rack as well. I did have to have the windshield fairing (40in, Yakima said there’s no MDX fitment) to reduce the whistling noise but still have wind noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Installed a Thule Motion XT (L) on my 2015 MDX

First, thanks to all in submitting your input and advice which I reviewed before embarking on a solution to install a cargo carrier on our 2015 MDX with Acura factory rails and crossbars. We liked the functionality and styling of the Thule Motion XT, which is a relatively new product but unfortunately, I did not find any postings on this thread from anyone who had experience with this Thule carrier. Using the Thule fit guide, the Motion XT was one of three Thule products recommended, although based on the roof measurements on the Thule website, the distance from the middle of the front crossbar to the rear hatch was 47.5" or more, but my measurements were closer to 46", so based on that info, the Motion XT (size L) would be too long and interfere with the rear hatch when opened. Fortunately, I decided to go the REI where the staff person and I took some measurements and determined that it possibly would work, albeit very close, so we took the floor model and successfully attached it to our (fixed position) Acura factory crossbars. When opening the rear hatch, the door comes within about 1/4" of touching the carrier, so I think we have a winner! The only issue however, is that when the carrier knobs were completely tightened down onto the crossbars, the bottom of the carrier just barely makes contact with the fin antenna. My temporary solution was to buy a piece of black adhesive felt which I attached to the bottom of the carrier immediately above the fin antenna, but I am now looking for a thicker, more permanent solution such as a rubber or foam covering for the crossbar which would raise the height of the carrier so it would not only prevent contact with the antenna, but also offset the very minor slant due the slanted design of the MDX roofline. I will take and post some pictures shortly, but I am very happy both with the fit and styling of the Thule Motion XT carrier ($649) and the fact that I did not need to purchase the expensive Thule 7602 AeroBlade Edge crossbars and Thule Fit Kit KIT3132, which would have added another approx $500+ to the total cost. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has successfully installed either Thule or Yakima carriers, including the Motion XT. Btw, on the freeway drive home from REI, the wind noise was fairly minor and not noticeable with the brief exception of some strong headwinds when it was a bit more noticeable. Lastly, I went with the L (77" length) vs XL (84" length) which is possible but would reach just about to the top of the windshield and barely noticeable from inside the vehicle and would likely pick up additional wind resistance and noise due to the slight upward slope. So if you really need the extra 7" of length, I believe the XL version can work for you on the MDX. I hope this post is useful to other Third Generation MDXers who are looking for a rooftop carrier that will work with their Acura factory rails and crossbars.
i’m finding i’m running into a similar situation.

i have a 2018 with factory flush rails and the thule aeroblade cross bars. i’ve been deciding on motion v force and xl or L. i finalized my decision to go with the motion XT XL based on thules fit guide. however, i came across another fit guide PDF that said to measure the front clearance. mine measured 43-45”. pdf clearance was ~51”. based on that, this model and size won’t fit. i plan to still purchase it at REI and do a test fit. if it doesn’t fit i’ll go with another size/model. sucks that thules website contradicts itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best box solution I've found is the Inno 660 wedge. Low profile too so I can drive into my garage.
How far can you open the hatch with your setup? Is it blocked at all? Could you confirm that it fully opens? Thanks for your previous post and I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to many of the prior posters on this thread, especially sparrky's breakdown of his investigations. To anyone looking for a good ski/board solution with the factory rails and bars - the latest Inno boxes at hard to beat. They have an adjustment system that allows them to slide forward far enough to avoid the antenna and tailgate. No modifications needed.

I already had the factory rails and cross bars on my 2014 and was looking to haul skis and boards, so my options were:
  • Thule or Yakima boxes: Didn't fit without blocking hatch or hitting antenna and tended to stick up in the front
  • Yakima FatCat 6: Because of the terrible bar locations, skis can't load with the tips at the rear (hit gate) & boards basically don't fit because of the bindings
  • Inno Wedge 660: Great fit and hugs the roof nicely. Wind noise is not too bad for a box. WEDGE 660 : Innoracks I did add a little padding to the back bar, making the front hug just a bit better.
Thanks again to all those who came before!
How far can you open the hatch with your setup? Is it blocked at all? Could you confirm that it fully opens? I think you implied that as Thule /Yakima did block but I want to be on the safe side. Thanks for your previous post and I appreciate your help.

281 - 285 of 285 Posts