Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

301 - 309 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah. I’m guessing it doesn’t really make that much noise right?

Now REI is asking me to measure from the middle of the back of the last roof cross bar to the trunk hatch open.
They want to know if it’s more than 40.5 inches between those points and they said the force XT L will fit.

@stranoblaze your box fits on the Thule bars so I’m guessing the mdx factory crossbars will be the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry. Meant I need to know if there is at least 47.5 inches from middle of the back side of the factory crossbars to the hatch when open.
Anyone have the cross bars on a 2017 or similar body style mdx?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah. I’m guessing it doesn’t really make that much noise right?

Now REI is asking me to measure from the middle of the back of the last roof cross bar to the trunk hatch open.
They want to know if it’s more than 40.5 inches between those points and they said the force XT L will fit.

@stranoblaze your box fits on the Thule bars so I’m guessing the mdx factory crossbars will be the same.
with the thule aeroblades, there is minimal wind noise and really only noticeable if you intentionally try to listen for it. but with your stereo on and windows rolled up, you won’t even notice.
with the box attached, the wind noise is more noticeable but that’s a given.

·
Registered
18 Posts
with the thule aeroblades, there is minimal wind noise and really only noticeable if you intentionally try to listen for it. but with your stereo on and windows rolled up, you won’t even notice.
with the box attached, the wind noise is more noticeable but that’s a given.
Thanks for the info.

So here's what I ended up with:

Acura factory crossbars (my MDX advance already had the rails)
Tule Force XT L

Factory crossbar noise is barely noticeable, if at all... and you have to have all music off to even think about hearing a difference.
The thule on the car is definitely noisy, but it's only really noticeable above 50mph.

I don't know if anyone has ever done the no rails thule setup which to me seems like the "better" way to go at a tradeoff.

The benefit of the factory rails and crossbars is that they're meant for the vehicle. the disadvantage is that the factory crossbars are not moveable and they're set pretty far back on the vehicle. So you're limited in what type of things you can put on the car from a length to hatch perspective.

Benefit of thule (or another brand) kit including footers that go into the door jams is (I think) you can place them in more than just one fixed position which gives you more flexibility when it comes to how big and where the gear sits. The disadvantage (I am not sure) is that you have the potential to scratch or harm the paint on the contact points and taking them on and off increases that risk. Also if you get the bars that stick out and don't curve down, there's potentially more wind noise.. especially if you lose an end cap.

So my lessons learned... to share with you all:

Motion XL and Force XL don't fit MDX with factory rails (it "fits" on crossbars, but slams into the hatch when open which is an issue.
Yakima 16 also doesn't fit.

Force XT L fits on crossbars and has <1" between box and rear hatch.

Hope that helps with anyone looking for the cargo box setup.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Tule Force XT L

Factory crossbar noise is barely noticeable, if at all... and you have to have all music off to even think about hearing a difference.
The thule on the car is definitely noisy, but it's only really noticeable above 50mph.

I don't know if anyone has ever done the no rails thule setup which to me seems like the "better" way to go at a tradeoff.

The benefit of the factory rails and crossbars is that they're meant for the vehicle. the disadvantage is that the factory crossbars are not moveable and they're set pretty far back on the vehicle. So you're limited in what type of things you can put on the car from a length to hatch perspective.

Benefit of thule (or another brand) kit including footers that go into the door jams is (I think) you can place them in more than just one fixed position which gives you more flexibility when it comes to how big and where the gear sits. The disadvantage (I am not sure) is that you have the potential to scratch or harm the paint on the contact points and taking them on and off increases that risk. Also if you get the bars that stick out and don't curve down, there's potentially more wind noise.. especially if you lose an end cap.

Motion XL and Force XL don't fit MDX with factory rails (it "fits" on crossbars, but slams into the hatch when open which is an issue.

I don't have the box, I only have the snowboard rack on the crossbar, when crossing bridge, IT IS SO NOISY, I can image what will happen if I replace it with box. LOL, my mom will freak out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The box is quieter than bare equipment because the box has aerodynamic shaping and it’s one piece vs multiple points on equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Tule Force XT L

glad you found a setup that works. i found that measurements and the fit guides on Thule’s website are not 100% accurate. no fault on their end since they can possibly list every single combination of equipment to vehicle. more of it is trial and error. REI was pretty helpful IMO

301 - 309 of 309 Posts