Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
321 - 336 of 336 Posts

· Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
251 Posts
Piggybacking this discussion because I'm in the same boat with my 2019 MDX. Curious if anyone has/looked into Thule Pulse Alpine with OEM rails and cross bars? I like the low profile, but concerned about fin and hatch clearances with factory rails.
Any luck with your search? This thread has pretty mixed feedback and I’m now in the market, although it seems every type of box is back ordered. I’d probably use it just a few times a year, so I don’t necessarily need the most high-end model, but would probably stick with a reputable brand like Thule, Yakima, or Inno.

· Registered
251 Posts
I finally found a box that is long enough to hold my 186cm skis (holds up to 190cm skis) and not affect rear lift gate function. This is the Inno 864. I believe it has the same footprint as the 660 wedge but a little more cargo area and a padded bottom in the interior.
How have you been getting along with the Inno? Aside from skis, do you find it has reasonable space for general stuff like small duffels, umbrella stroller, beach stuff, small kids bikes, etc? Any issues with wind noise, vibration, etc? Can you put the sunroof up in vent position with that dip on the bottom of the box? Also looks like you’re using the OEM crossbars.

· Registered
251 Posts
Thanks for the info.

So here's what I ended up with:

Acura factory crossbars (my MDX advance already had the rails)
Tule Force XT L

Factory crossbar noise is barely noticeable, if at all... and you have to have all music off to even think about hearing a difference.
The thule on the car is definitely noisy, but it's only really noticeable above 50mph.

I don't know if anyone has ever done the no rails thule setup which to me seems like the "better" way to go at a tradeoff.

The benefit of the factory rails and crossbars is that they're meant for the vehicle. the disadvantage is that the factory crossbars are not moveable and they're set pretty far back on the vehicle. So you're limited in what type of things you can put on the car from a length to hatch perspective.

Benefit of thule (or another brand) kit including footers that go into the door jams is (I think) you can place them in more than just one fixed position which gives you more flexibility when it comes to how big and where the gear sits. The disadvantage (I am not sure) is that you have the potential to scratch or harm the paint on the contact points and taking them on and off increases that risk. Also if you get the bars that stick out and don't curve down, there's potentially more wind noise.. especially if you lose an end cap.

So my lessons learned... to share with you all:

Motion XL and Force XL don't fit MDX with factory rails (it "fits" on crossbars, but slams into the hatch when open which is an issue.
Yakima 16 also doesn't fit.

Force XT L fits on crossbars and has <1" between box and rear hatch.

Hope that helps with anyone looking for the cargo box setup.
it’s been a while since your post but looking to get some feedback about the Force. There are very few boxes available these days but I can probably get a Force in time for my trip. Any major concerns or things you don’t like about it? You mentioned it clears the tailgate and fin antenna which are typically the two pain points.

· Registered
55 Posts
How have you been getting along with the Inno? Aside from skis, do you find it has reasonable space for general stuff like small duffels, umbrella stroller, beach stuff, small kids bikes, etc? Any issues with wind noise, vibration, etc? Can you put the sunroof up in vent position with that dip on the bottom of the box? Also looks like you’re using the OEM crossbars.
Yes, I have OEM crossbars. I have only tested my Inno 864 box with skis but the interior dimensions (72” long x 25-5/8” wide x 11” tall) seem acceptable for smaller duffles or suitcases. I’m not sure about getting a bike in there. I didn’t test for interference with the tilt function of the sunroof but I don’t believe that would be an issue. I have 3 different roof boxes that I use on my MDX. One of my boxes (Thule 668ES) doesn’t allow the rear lift gate to open but is also long enough for my skis. I have an older Sears X-Cargo Sears Sport SV 20 that I love for hauling suitcases and other extra cargo. It’s 20 cu-ft. It isn’t long enough for skis but is fairly tall and I can really stuff a lot of stuff in there. It doesn’t interfere with the rear liftgate or sunroof. It opens from the back but I just install a trailer hitch receiver to stand on to be able to reach inside without having to stand on the bumper.

· Registered
251 Posts
Thule Force XT-L barely hits, i need to adjust it i guess. factory rails and cross bars
Thanks. Does it at least clear the fin antenna and tailgate (even if by a fraction of an inch)?
BTW - love the blacked out trim. I was wondering why this MDX looks so good.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 3rd gen. It’s a 2018
Thule Force XT-L barely hits, i need to adjust it i guess. factory rails and cross bars

View attachment 117622
I know this is 5 mos old, but have you tried adding some padding between the crossbar and the box? I saw another post in this thread by Lookdad4x where he added a DaKine pad to make his Motion XT L fit. I also saw a post by Stanoblaze who's Force XT L fits, but on Thule bars on the factory flush rails. The Thule bars are in the same location as the factory bars but it looks like they ride a little higher, hence the suggestion to use the DaKine pad. Finally, I saw a post by DanKNyc who put a Force XT L on the factory bars, no apparent pad, and he said it fits.

I'm looking to purchase a Force XT L for my '16 Advanced w/factory bars but getting mixed reviews here on the fit. So, please let me know if in the past 5 months, you have any updates to share.

Thanks,
Dave

· Registered
2 Posts
I found a lightly used Thule Force XT L on OfferUp and decided to take a chance since my family has a trip coming up and I needed something fairly quickly . It fits WITHOUT hitting the hatch on my 2016 Advanced with factory crossbars. I did not need to add any padding to raise it up either (as was the suggestion from a fellow MDXer). I'm pretty happy with the fit; I was concerned that it might be a tad too long; there are mixed reviews here and there. The Thule hatch clearance specs said this shouldn't fit but it does. After picking it up from the seller, I drove home about 50 miles at speeds up to 85 and almost forgot it was there. There is some noise but not too bad.

So, confirmed, with pictures, it fits:
  • 2016 MDX Advanced
  • Factory flush rails and factory crossbars
  • Thule Force XT L (16 cu ft)
  • No modifications needed
I hope this helps anyone else trying to figure out which box might fit.
Dave

• Hood Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Automotive mirror Automotive design

· Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info.

So here's what I ended up with:

Acura factory crossbars (my MDX advance already had the rails)
Tule Force XT L

Factory crossbar noise is barely noticeable, if at all... and you have to have all music off to even think about hearing a difference.
The thule on the car is definitely noisy, but it's only really noticeable above 50mph.

I don't know if anyone has ever done the no rails thule setup which to me seems like the "better" way to go at a tradeoff.

The benefit of the factory rails and crossbars is that they're meant for the vehicle. the disadvantage is that the factory crossbars are not moveable and they're set pretty far back on the vehicle. So you're limited in what type of things you can put on the car from a length to hatch perspective.

Benefit of thule (or another brand) kit including footers that go into the door jams is (I think) you can place them in more than just one fixed position which gives you more flexibility when it comes to how big and where the gear sits. The disadvantage (I am not sure) is that you have the potential to scratch or harm the paint on the contact points and taking them on and off increases that risk. Also if you get the bars that stick out and don't curve down, there's potentially more wind noise.. especially if you lose an end cap.

So my lessons learned... to share with you all:

Motion XL and Force XL don't fit MDX with factory rails (it "fits" on crossbars, but slams into the hatch when open which is an issue.
Yakima 16 also doesn't fit.

Force XT L fits on crossbars and has <1" between box and rear hatch.

Hope that helps with anyone looking for the cargo box setup.
Hi there,

Can anyone confirm if the Thule Motion L would for with Acura factory cross bars? Or only the Force XT L.

321 - 336 of 336 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.