Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

261 - 280 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here are a couple more pics from my guys at RackAttack here in Denver.

This rack setup uses the following products:
Whispbar Fit Kit K323
Yakima FatCat 4 Black
Whispbar S5 Base Rack
Whispbar S6 Base Rack

Attachments

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Ahhh ok cool thanks. RackAttack does so many installs lol. All over the Subaru forums.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
@McMDX: That does look nice. If it meets your needs then great. I am using my roof rack to haul kayaks, so wanted the type where the bar extends over the towers (which could be done with your pads, of course).

I didn't want to drill holes in the roof or permanently mount a rack, but that speaks to my reluctance to do anything irreversible. The wider Yakima pads are useful for bridging the wide trim strip for support when installed per my thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/126626-roof-racks-better-option-imho.html#post1176362 A narrower pad might be a problem for my design, so I have a bulkier and hence less attractive mount than yours. Also my design means using the factory mount locations while you have yours in a more forward and level position, which I think is better aesthetically and for wind flow around the box. OTOH I removed the pads for the winter and filled the four 1/4" holes with black trim rivets which works great for car washes. In the summer I pop off the cross bars when not needed, and can use car washes with the pads only. Different strokes...

Greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
@McMDX: That does look nice. If it meets your needs then great. I am using my roof rack to haul kayaks, so wanted the type where the bar extends over the towers (which could be done with your pads, of course).

I didn't want to drill holes in the roof or permanently mount a rack, but that speaks to my reluctance to do anything irreversible. The wider Yakima pads are useful for bridging the wide trim strip for support when installed per my thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/126626-roof-racks-better-option-imho.html#post1176362 A narrower pad might be a problem for my design, so I have a bulkier and hence less attractive mount than yours. Also my design means using the factory mount locations while you have yours in a more forward and level position, which I think is better aesthetically and for wind flow around the box. OTOH I removed the pads for the winter and filled the four 1/4" holes with black trim rivets which works great for car washes. In the summer I pop off the cross bars when not needed, and can use car washes with the pads only. Different strokes...

Greg
I agree. While those look good, I'm hesitant to drill through the roof. Leaning towards the OEM racks just wondering how bad they would limit the hatch with the Thule RB Atlantis 1200

·
Registered
4 Posts
With the Inno, all the way. No problems with the satellite antenna either.

How far can you open the hatch with that setup? We have a Thule Atlantis 1200. Just wondering how much the opening of the hatch will be impeded on the OEM setup?

·
Registered
83 Posts
With the Inno, all the way. No problems with the satellite antenna either.
That's cool but I don't plan on getting another RB. We need the extra volumn that ours provides. We only use it a couple times a year so if the hatch doesn't open all the way we can deal with it I guess. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone tried to just drill new holes in the flush rail and moved the factory crossbars ? Yes the spacing would be off by i only need to move 4-5 inches foreward so i could use a plastic washer to take the gap. AA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to many of the prior posters on this thread, especially sparrky's breakdown of his investigations. To anyone looking for a good ski/board solution with the factory rails and bars - the latest Inno boxes at hard to beat. They have an adjustment system that allows them to slide forward far enough to avoid the antenna and tailgate. No modifications needed.

I already had the factory rails and cross bars on my 2014 and was looking to haul skis and boards, so my options were:
- Thule or Yakima boxes: Didn't fit without blocking hatch or hitting antenna and tended to stick up in the front
- Yakima FatCat 6: Because of the terrible bar locations, skis can't load with the tips at the rear (hit gate) & boards basically don't fit because of the bindings
- Inno Wedge 660: Great fit and hugs the roof nicely. Wind noise is not too bad for a box. WEDGE 660 : Innoracks I did add a little padding to the back bar, making the front hug just a bit better.

Thanks again to all those who came before!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Has anyone tried to just drill new holes in the flush rail and moved the factory crossbars ? Yes the spacing would be off by i only need to move 4-5 inches foreward so i could use a plastic washer to take the gap. AA
If I recall correctly over 3.5 years after I installed the factory rails, the railings have threaded inserts to receive the cross-rail bolts. You wouldn't be able to just simply drill new holes at a different location for the bolts since it's not a solid metal piece. As you already pointed out, you'd also have issues with the width of the bars which would be less than ideal.

I think you're better off just finding a box or other attachments that fit okay or adapting the attachment rather than trying to customize the factory rail system. People have posted on this thread of attachments that work okay with the factory system.

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Installed a Thule Motion XT (L) on my 2015 MDX

First, thanks to all in submitting your input and advice which I reviewed before embarking on a solution to install a cargo carrier on our 2015 MDX with Acura factory rails and crossbars. We liked the functionality and styling of the Thule Motion XT, which is a relatively new product but unfortunately, I did not find any postings on this thread from anyone who had experience with this Thule carrier. Using the Thule fit guide, the Motion XT was one of three Thule products recommended, although based on the roof measurements on the Thule website, the distance from the middle of the front crossbar to the rear hatch was 47.5" or more, but my measurements were closer to 46", so based on that info, the Motion XT (size L) would be too long and interfere with the rear hatch when opened. Fortunately, I decided to go the REI where the staff person and I took some measurements and determined that it possibly would work, albeit very close, so we took the floor model and successfully attached it to our (fixed position) Acura factory crossbars. When opening the rear hatch, the door comes within about 1/4" of touching the carrier, so I think we have a winner! The only issue however, is that when the carrier knobs were completely tightened down onto the crossbars, the bottom of the carrier just barely makes contact with the fin antenna. My temporary solution was to buy a piece of black adhesive felt which I attached to the bottom of the carrier immediately above the fin antenna, but I am now looking for a thicker, more permanent solution such as a rubber or foam covering for the crossbar which would raise the height of the carrier so it would not only prevent contact with the antenna, but also offset the very minor slant due the slanted design of the MDX roofline. I will take and post some pictures shortly, but I am very happy both with the fit and styling of the Thule Motion XT carrier ($649) and the fact that I did not need to purchase the expensive Thule 7602 AeroBlade Edge crossbars and Thule Fit Kit KIT3132, which would have added another approx $500+ to the total cost. I would be interested in hearing from anyone else who has successfully installed either Thule or Yakima carriers, including the Motion XT. Btw, on the freeway drive home from REI, the wind noise was fairly minor and not noticeable with the brief exception of some strong headwinds when it was a bit more noticeable. Lastly, I went with the L (77" length) vs XL (84" length) which is possible but would reach just about to the top of the windshield and barely noticeable from inside the vehicle and would likely pick up additional wind resistance and noise due to the slight upward slope. So if you really need the extra 7" of length, I believe the XL version can work for you on the MDX. I hope this post is useful to other Third Generation MDXers who are looking for a rooftop carrier that will work with their Acura factory rails and crossbars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: Here are some additional pics of the Thule Motion XT (L) installed on Acura factory rails and crossbars on our 2015 MDX, with the addition of the Dakine Aero crossbar pad.
This pad is approx 18" long with a 2" pad which we attached to the rear crossbar and now allows the Thule carrier to sit slightly above the fin antenna without making contact or damaging the
fin antenna. I initially bought the Thule aero crossbar pads, but the pad was not yet thick enough with the carrier still resting on the fin antenna, so I returned it and bought the Dakine pad which
is at least an additional inch thicker, which finally solved the problem. Not a bad solution for a $25 investment for a set of two pads! I hope anyone trying to find a rooftop carrier that will work
with Acura Factory rails and crossbars for a third generation MDX will find this info useful and can leverage the research time and money I spent finding a good, affordable solution! Now I can
finally put this carrier to use and plan our next roadtrip!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks lookdad! I was able to get the same set up and headed out with it Sat. Looks pretty good and not seeing any drop in mileage so far. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All - This thread has been a huge help and I am planning to add some factory cross bars on my 2016 MDX but does anyone know the difference between part numbers 08L04-TZ5-200 and 08L04-TZ5-201?

They seem to be the exact same item so not sure what the different part numbers indicate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried to retrofit an older Thule Evolution box (18 cubic ft?, 90"x30") to an 3rd gen MBX? I've got the factory rack/crossbars on a 2016 and the box won't clear the antenna/fin on the roof. I'd go with lookdadx4's suggestion of the Thule Motion XT (L) but it won't fit my 207cm skis. Are these fin's removable are they even necessary if I don't use xm radio?

any help would be greatly appreciated...I'm happy to buy a new box if there's one that's long enough to hold the 207cm skis, clear the fin and allow the hatch to open...

thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ask the audience - roof cargo box options

UPDATE: Here are some additional pics of the Thule Motion XT (L) installed on Acura factory rails and crossbars on our 2015 MDX, with the addition of the Dakine Aero crossbar pad.
This pad is approx 18" long with a 2" pad which we attached to the rear crossbar and now allows the Thule carrier to sit slightly above the fin antenna without making contact or damaging the
fin antenna. I initially bought the Thule aero crossbar pads, but the pad was not yet thick enough with the carrier still resting on the fin antenna, so I returned it and bought the Dakine pad which
is at least an additional inch thicker, which finally solved the problem. Not a bad solution for a $25 investment for a set of two pads! I hope anyone trying to find a rooftop carrier that will work
with Acura Factory rails and crossbars for a third generation MDX will find this info useful and can leverage the research time and money I spent finding a good, affordable solution! Now I can
finally put this carrier to use and plan our next roadtrip!
Anyone else have success with roof cargo boxes on 3rd gen. factory rails? From above looks like the Thule Motion XT (L) will work with some padding, would be nice to find out the XL works as well. Looking for largest capacity without hitting fin or tailgate, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
VAGAtor

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 MDX and ordered optional roof bars without knowing this useful info. Thanks for the tips, very helpful. Seems like in terms of cargo boxes that will work, the Thule Motion XT L is where I was steered to by my local Rack Attack store. But I haven't tried it myself yet or purchased it - just started doing research and found your thread. So, my question is, how do the clamps from the cargo box attach over the Dakine Pad - does it still clamp down on the underside of the cross bar?

Thx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guess what, I just encountered this and I am very very sad to report factory installed racks and crossbars from Acura SUCK SUCK SUCK, DO NOT GET THEM! you can not use any of your Yakima stuff unless it is shorter than the 14 version. i am so disappointed by this. the Acura crossbars and racks ARE FIXED! What a BOZO design!
I ran into this also with my Yakima cargo box. Purchased a Thule one and it fits. the issue was Yakima has about an inch of a lowered belly in the middle of their boxes, Thule does not. Now, if only my hatch did not hit the box when it's open. Anyone have any remedies? I'm here looking for crossbar options... I would hate to rip off the whole rack. But if it bugs me enough, I might. LoL!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 MDX and ordered optional roof bars without knowing this useful info. Thanks for the tips, very helpful. Seems like in terms of cargo boxes that will work, the Thule Motion XT L is where I was steered to by my local Rack Attack store. But I haven't tried it myself yet or purchased it - just started doing research and found your thread. So, my question is, how do the clamps from the cargo box attach over the Dakine Pad - does it still clamp down on the underside of the cross bar?

Thx

I'm interested if anyone has done this and maybe has a photo? Thanks in advance!

261 - 280 of 309 Posts