Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Obv if you're leasing this is less of a concern for you, but the Acura has longevital quality. my 155k mile acura feels just as new as my friend's 1500 mile mazda.

if you're just comparing lease term quality, go with the one that you like the best - if you're leasing you usually don't need to care about anything past the bumper to bumper period anyway.

·
Registered
86 Posts
And it’s turbo is designed to give a lot of grunt at low rpms. Its done around 4500 rpms. Thus the reason why it feels real punchy off the line.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
The CX9 looks great. It’s that 227 hp that concerns me
Considerably more torque at half the RPM's of the MDX. It feels opposite of the MDX in real world driving....feels rather effortless off the line and accelerating under normal conditions. But if you're putting your foot to the floor the MDX is quicker, particularly at higher speeds.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Considerably more torque at half the RPM's of the MDX. It feels opposite of the MDX in real world driving....feels rather effortless off the line and accelerating under normal conditions. But if you're putting your foot to the floor the MDX is quicker, particularly at higher speeds.
And believe it or no, quicker to 60 and 1/4 mile ..... love that engine sound!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My lease is almost up and i'm thinking about jumping to the 2021 Mazda CX-9 Carbon Edition.
what are your thoughts?
I would suggest that maybe you look at the new 2022 Acura MDX and compare it to the CX-9. Acura is advertising it as "all new", and according to Acura, the new MDX has the Honda designed 10-spd transmission that is used across the board in Honda and Acura vehicles. I have heard (and read) many good things about the new Mazda vehicles it makes me kind of mad at myself for not looking at then before I bought my 2019 MDX. Although I have not had any problems with the transmission (knock on wood), I went from an Acura RDX to the MDX without looking at any other vehicle. Oh well...live and learn I suppose. Best wishes in your vehicle search.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The NEW UPCOMING 2022 MDX has a proven engine and transmission so I am not concerned buying first year of new model. All of you saying the 4 banger turbo is better are smoking crack! Did you not see all the praise for Acura keeping a V6 in this size of vehicle? I would not be buying the new MDX if they put the 4 banger turbo in it. As said earlier, there is NO replacement for displacement! Why is someone even cross shopping a cx9 with an MDX? Completely different leagues IMO.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Why is someone even cross shopping a cx9 with an MDX? Completely different leagues IMO.
Have you driven one? They're pretty damn close in my book and I have significant seat time in both. For a "premium" brand, the MDX has a fairly low-rent interior whereas the upper models of CX-9 are nicer in many ways...quilted leather, more soft-touch surfaces, and just overall more fashionable. CX-9 handling is comparable, similar performance in day-to-day driving, similar available features, arguably better tech, and almost identical size/interior space. The only place the MDX really excels is higher speed acceleration and the V6 does sound better when you're hard on the go-pedal.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
The NEW UPCOMING 2022 MDX has a proven engine and transmission so I am not concerned buying first year of new model. All of you saying the 4 banger turbo is better are smoking crack! Did you not see all the praise for Acura keeping a V6 in this size of vehicle? I would not be buying the new MDX if they put the 4 banger turbo in it. As said earlier, there is NO replacement for displacement! Why is someone even cross shopping a cx9 with an MDX? Completely different leagues IMO.
I'd leave Honda completely if they slapped a K series with a turbo in the MDX. Really surprised those magazines and journalists were wanting the MDX to have a 4banger in the X. That's not the clientele that buys Honda's 3-row SUVs. It's like saying Lexus is going to slap a turbo-4banger in the RX350/350L and drop their V6; same with the overpriced Nissan Parts bin.

Mazda falls in between common working man brand and the rich man brand. It makes sense to cross shop the CX-9 though.

·
Registered
321 Posts
No more “low rent” interior in the new MDX! A lot of people compare the new MDX because Acura design language ( longer hood and upright grill. This is the only thing the new MDX has in common with the Mazd.

mazda competes with honda, Toyota, Subaru and nissan.

acura more with lexus bmw and Audi, especially the upcoming type s versions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Didn't drive the CX-9 last fall when we purchased the MDX since the wife didn't like the interior, seats were thin and found blind spots(she is short) but we did drive the Signature CX-5 with the turbo and didn't think it had a lot of power and was not impressed with the tech or transmission except it wasn't a CVT. They are nice looking and done well inside.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
No more “low rent” interior in the new MDX! A lot of people compare the new MDX because Acura design language ( longer hood and upright grill. This is the only thing the new MDX has in common with the Mazd.

mazda competes with honda, Toyota, Subaru and nissan.

acura more with lexus bmw and Audi, especially the upcoming type s versions.
I wasn't comparing the '22 MDX to the CX-9 (and how could I when nobody has even seen or driven one yet). We closely cross-shopped the CX-9 in '18 and there were many reasons to pick it over the MDX but ultimately when driving 20k-25k miles a year, seat comfort was the ultimate factor for my wife. The '22 looks like it might actually compete with the luxury brands this time around.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My 2018 MDX lease was coming due and I was seriously interested in the CX-9 Signature. Same/More Features than Advance MDX at $10K less. I watched all the reviews, and test drove it 3 times. The exterior & interior styling was nicer/more current than the MDX. I was really disappointed in the powertrain despite the reviews. It was really punchy off the line, then would fizzle out really quick. It also was loud and un-refined feeling. Not a nice linier pull either. Overall it felt like a really nice mainstream SUV but lacked refinement and I really wanted to like it.

I ended up leasing another MDX instead. Got a nice 50/month reduction in payment too.

Regarding the ZF-9. I've had 4 of them. The 16 & 18 were flawless. The 19 and 20 shifted fine, but make more driveline noise (clunk) while deaccelerating on occasion. Who cares...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Top of the line Mazda/Honda/Toyota reminds me of buying property. Do you buy the most expensive cookie cutter house in the cheapest location -or- buy the cheaper more custom house in a more expensive location?

I think either vehicle is fine and they check a lot of the same boxes. I might be bias towards noticing more Acuras' and I don't know the yearly sales numbers of Mazda vehicles. I see 20X more 1st/2nd/3rd Gen MDXs around town compared to CX-9 of any model year. Just on my 10 house Cul-de-sac, there are 6 Acuras and zero Mazdas. I see more Rav4, CR-V, and CX-5 in that descending order. I would hate to get a CX-9 to find out 1-2 years down the road why you don't see them on the road.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I would hate to get a CX-9 to find out 1-2 years down the road why you don't see them on the road.
The current gen CX-9 was released in 2016 and the prior gen was nothing special (dated to the Ford days of Mazda). Either way, Mazda is a niche player and aren't high volume which was a "pro" for us when shopping. It's rather disappointing to pass yourself on every corner which is the case in the huge Honda market we live. Mazda outranked Lexus and Toyota this year for most reliable brand so they're apparently doing well.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
Top of the line Mazda/Honda/Toyota reminds me of buying property. Do you buy the most expensive cookie cutter house in the cheapest location -or- buy the cheaper more custom house in a more expensive location?

I think either vehicle is fine and they check a lot of the same boxes. I might be bias towards noticing more Acuras' and I don't know the yearly sales numbers of Mazda vehicles. I see 20X more 1st/2nd/3rd Gen MDXs around town compared to CX-9 of any model year. Just on my 10 house Cul-de-sac, there are 6 Acuras and zero Mazdas. I see more Rav4, CR-V, and CX-5 in that descending order. I would hate to get a CX-9 to find out 1-2 years down the road why you don't see them on the road.
Its the opposite for me, in my neighborhood. Too many top of the line Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, Hyundias, Fords, etc., and less cheaper versions of premium brands, although the zip code we live in,, everyone pays up the rear end on yearly taxes. But I still see a boat load of 1st and 3rd gen MDXs in my area compared to 2nd Gens. CX-9s on the other hand, I barely see them, let alone any mazda. A former co-worker of mine drove a mid-00s Mazda6 and kind of destroyed it (lack of maintenance).

Plus once that Turbo goes out, you'd probably be in the 100s in terms of HP and TQ, just saying. Better off sticking with an NA motor if this is a daily or family hauler.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The current gen CX-9 was released in 2016 and the prior gen was nothing special (dated to the Ford days of Mazda). Either way, Mazda is a niche player and aren't high volume which was a "pro" for us when shopping. It's rather disappointing to pass yourself on every corner which is the case in the huge Honda market we live. Mazda outranked Lexus and Toyota this year for most reliable brand so they're apparently doing well.
Keep telling yourself that! I think you should be posting your love for Mazda on a Mazda board IMO✌

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Keep telling yourself that! I think you should be posting your love for Mazda on a Mazda board IMO✌
Telling myself what? Facts? I'm confused why you're so butt-hurt that maybe another car is competitive to the MDX. The 3rd gen is nothing special when compared to the current competition...even some cheaper cars. The 2nd gen stood out and could actually roll with some of the Euro brands at the time it was on the market.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
Telling myself what? Facts? I'm confused why you're so butt-hurt that maybe another car is competitive to the MDX. The 3rd gen is nothing special when compared to the current competition...even some cheaper cars. The 2nd gen stood out and could actually roll with some of the Euro brands at the time it was on the market.
Actually the 3rd gen is special when compared to most of the competition. Again, its your opinion, NOT a fact. However, the only FACT here is that the CX-9 competes with both the Pilot and MDX. The current gen MDX is more reliable than the competition (other than the RX), and offers a 3rd-row standard unlike half of the competition. We can list alot of things that makes the MDX special compared to the competition.

Mazda outranked Lexus and Toyota this year for most reliable brand so they're apparently doing well.
How in the world can you determine and call a brand more reliable than Lexus in 2021? If its all based off of that CR and JD Power garbage, its literally INVALID. You need more than 3 model years of a specific model, to determine that. I've seen Genesis outrank Lexus, not Mazda, and I still haven't seen Mazda outrank Lexus even for a 2021 predicted reliability list.

Reactions: Tsturbo
21 - 40 of 53 Posts