Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
How in the world can you determine and call a brand more reliable than Lexus in 2021? If its all based off of that CR and JD Power garbage, its literally INVALID. You need more than 3 model years of a specific model, to determine that. I've seen Genesis outrank Lexus, not Mazda, and I still haven't seen Mazda outrank Lexus even for a 2021 predicted reliability list.
Just because you don't like the results doesn't make the data INVALID. CR ranks Mazda higher than Lexus as a brand for reliability and that's a fact. Saying the 3rd gen is "special" is an opinion.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
Just because you don't like the results doesn't make the data INVALID. CR ranks Mazda higher than Lexus as a brand for reliability and that's a fact. Saying the 3rd gen is "special" is an opinion.
Again, CR isn't a reputable source for reliability. They don't use enough data to back their claims up. I even checked their list, and its filled with BS. I'm sorry, but CR ranks Mazda higher than Lexus isn't a fact, its pure BS.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
CR used to be a very good source for information on product quality before the internet days (before Walmart, Amazon, eBay, and any eCommerce days). It was the only consolidated source of data available for independent product ratings (in magazine/paper back form). They started to drop off the map once internet service jumped up and over the +56 kbit/s range and eCommerce and/or purpose built website with product comparisons, feedback sections, and online forums started to steal their thunder.

I was a CR member back then and CR just didn't dig deep enough with their very limited survey questions for in-depth product reviews. I get way more detailed reviews and product info from car, TV-home theater, eMTB, or DSLR forums than I ever did from CR.

CR hasn't adjusted to the times and it is already dead like Sears/Kmart/Circuit City and they don't know it yet.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
CR used to be a very good source for information on product quality before the internet days (before Walmart, Amazon, eBay, and any eCommerce days). It was the only consolidated source of data available for independent product ratings (in magazine/paper back form). They started to drop off the map once internet service jumped up and over the +56 kbit/s range and eCommerce and/or purpose built website with product comparisons, feedback sections, and online forums started to steal their thunder.

I was a CR member back then and CR just didn't dig deep enough with their very limited survey questions for in-depth product reviews. I get way more detailed reviews and product info from car, TV-home theater, eMTB, or DSLR forums than I ever did from CR.

CR hasn't adjusted to the times and it is already dead like Sears/Kmart/Circuit City and they don't know it yet.
Exactly. I am glad OP asked us for input on the CX-9, whereas if he didn't and used CR, I think he wouldn't get a good understanding at all if he were to use only CR; not saying if they did or did not use CR. I also dug deeper into CRs history, and they been around since the Great Depression, but under multiple names. Forums usually addresses all or most of the issues and problems of said product (can be anything from a pen to space ships).

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Exactly. I am glad OP asked us for input on the CX-9, whereas if he didn't and used CR, I think he wouldn't get a good understanding at all if he were to use only CR; not saying if they did or did not use CR. I also dug deeper into CRs history, and they been around since the Great Depression, but under multiple names. Forums usually addresses all or most of the issues and problems of said product (can be anything from a pen to space ships).
I have my issues with CR but they have an adequate population of data and it's as reputable as anything you'll find. Do you have a source that completely disagrees with the CR data? I mean, if you're only going to rely on forums there aren't many cars you'd buy. Even this place reads like a junk yard at times and I'm sure that scares off many illogical thinkers.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
I have my issues with CR but they have an adequate population of data and it's as reputable as anything you'll find. Do you have a source that completely disagrees with the CR data? I mean, if you're only going to rely on forums there aren't many cars you'd buy. Even this place reads like a junk yard at times and I'm sure that scares off many illogical thinkers.
It's not as reputable as owners of said product on the product's forum pin pointing the ins and outs of it. Sure, some forums Quora is a total junk yard, but at least its way better than CR. Heck, I'll take Scotty's advice over CR any given day for vehicles. Its CR that produced data that never makes any damn sense at all. I'm honestly surprised Nissan isn't on CRs unreliable, but Honda is; its a bunch of bullcrap (trust me on this, I've owned 3 Nissans and 3 Hondas; the Nissan's have too many issues and problems). And not everyone sends those CR serveys back to them. And NOT everyone is subscribed to them either. Also, that list you mentioned, it doesnt even state JLR on it at all.

Reactions: Tsturbo

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'm honestly surprised Nissan isn't on CRs unreliable, but Honda is; its a bunch of bullcrap (trust me on this, I've owned 3 Nissans and 3 Hondas; the Nissan's have too many issues and problems). And not everyone sends those CR serveys back to them. And NOT everyone is subscribed to them either. Also, that list you mentioned, it doesnt even state JLR on it at all.
I'm not sure what list you're looking at...they have Honda ranked significantly higher than Nissan (5th vs 13th). You don't need every survey returned or everyone to subscribe...that's not how statistics work.

·
Registered
960 Posts
The OP’s post asking for opinions is, imo, one of the best uses for a forum such as this. The downside of forums is that people, that are oftentimes a small minority of owners post problems. I have had five MDXs since 2003 (the latest only since March 2020) and the most significant problems I have had are a leak from the factory in the AC of a new 2011 that took three trips to the dealer to resolve, a side mirror actuator, and a power steering pump that were replaced under warranty. So nothing close to the issues reported here.

As to Consumer Reports, I have been a subscriber and use their testing for appliances, TVs, grills, mattresses, etc. However, their satisfaction surveys are many pages and very detailed and I suspect many are like me and just don’t take the time to complete them. I believe that, like a forum, the folks with issues are likely not happy and are more likely to take the time to complete the survey. Maybe they consider the comparative number of complaints received each year???

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
As to Consumer Reports, I have been a subscriber and use their testing for appliances, TVs, grills, mattresses, etc. However, their satisfaction surveys are many pages and very detailed and I suspect many are like me and just don’t take the time to complete them. I believe that, like a forum, the folks with issues are likely not happy and are more likely to take the time to complete the survey. Maybe they consider the comparative number of complaints received each year???
It would still be a valid survey to compare brands/models even if only the unhappy folks replied.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It would still be a valid survey to compare brands/models even if only the unhappy folks replied.
Not sure if this was mentioned. It it was, sorry ...... but Acura wasn’t even rated in the most recent CR reliability rankings because according to CR “we have insufficient data or the brand makes too few models”.
Alfa Romero, Chrysler, Fiat, Genesis, Jag, Land Rover, Maserati, and Mitsubishi were not rated either.
Not sure how you can accurately rank the auto companies based off of this.

And Honda ended up in 5th place, a jump of 7 positions. They made that much improvement in one year??
Then they predicted the new “21” MDX to be below average. How do they figure this?? They base it off the last three years or 1 or 2 years of data if the model was redesigned in 19 or 20.
Really??

They have sent me surveys yearly for the last 10-12 years but I do not fill them out. Way too time consuming and some of the data is irrelevant.
I take their ratings with a grain of salt anymore.

My thoughts on surveys ..... too many variables.

And I only look at their rag cause my son keeps renewing the subscription he gave me years ago as a gift.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
This Consumer Reports topic is literally a hot and very super opinionated topic. They have built themselves as either a trustworthy and reputable company for ignorant non-car people who doesn't know much about cars OR they basically make themselves look like fools and uneducated to people who better understands cars and can differentiate cars and car brands from its pros and cons.

Somehow, in this 2021 "Predicted Reliability" list, we are missing few brands. However, from personal experience and going through forums, reliability comes from how frequent the owners maintain their vehicles. Its honestly astonishing that we are using reliability for technology in cars when all we need is cars to get us from Point A to Point B. Technology in vehicles is honestly a first-world problem, and is considered creature comfort. Sure, we all have our opinions of certain vehicles and brands, but honestly, how well do most owners maintain their vehicles mechanically?

For those who disagree with me, I'm okay with that. But for reliability standpoints, technology should play a smaller and insignificant role, unless its a full blown EV like Tesla, where mostly its customers are tech geeks.

If a vehicle fails to get you from A to B and its very brand new, then there's reliability issues. If a vehicle does get you from A to B, but your music or gigantic computer screen HU doesn't work, then its a first-world issue.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Cx9 has some smaller interior dimensions than the mdx if you actually look at the numbers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

41 - 53 of 53 Posts