Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lease is almost up and i'm thinking about jumping to the 2021 Mazda CX-9 Carbon Edition.
what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I would take a look at the 22 MDX and see how it looks in person compare both on back-to-back test drives.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would take a look at the 22 MDX and see how it looks in person compare both on back-to-back test drives.
With a lease almost up I would guess there isn't time to wait, plus I am never a fan of being the guinea pig on a first year major overhaul, but that's just me.

OP, I have no basis for an opinion on the CX-9, but you're the one that has to be happy. Drive it and see if you like it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lease is up at the end of February 21, from some of the reviews I saw on YouTube, spec wise, they seem close. As for driving dynamics, hopefully when I do a test drive, I can notice enough difference between the two. One thing for sure is I won't miss that 9 speed tranny seems like its confused at times. everything else about the MDX works fine for me. As with anything new on the block there is always a good chance of things not working out as intended. new engine more technology I get that. ill keep you posted on my final decision.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Going MDX hybrid was my solution to avoid the 9AT. Test drove a few 2nd Gen RDXs with the 10AT in fwd and sh-awd models; but, I didn't have them long enough to really get a feel for the new transmission. I can see how having 8/9/10AT would take advantage of the hp/tq of a turbo engine. That was the main complaint I had with my 08 RDX 2.3T only having a 5AT and unable to take advantage of the extra low end tq with only 2-3 gears available for passing speed. Might be the same issue with the Mazda 6AT+2.5T? I guess anything is better than a CVT.

Reactions: datechboss101

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
OP, I have test drove a Mazda6, but I personally believe you will enjoy the CX-9. Maybe look into a 2020 Sport Hybrid if any are remaining by the time you return your 2018.

Going MDX hybrid was my solution to avoid the 9AT. Test drove a few 2nd Gen RDXs with the 10AT in fwd and sh-awd models; but, I didn't have them long enough to really get a feel for the new transmission. I can see how having 8/9/10AT would take advantage of the hp/tq of a turbo engine. That was the main complaint I had with my 08 RDX 2.3T only having a 5AT and unable to take advantage of the extra low end tq with only 2-3 gears available for passing speed. Might be the same issue with the Mazda 6AT+2.5T? I guess anything is better than a CVT.
I lived through CVT underworld. Possibly the worst transmission ever existed in mankind and automobile-kind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes .... CVTs suck.
I have a 20 Advance AWD and the ZF9 is much improved over the 17 I had. No issues with mine.
Honda has not given up on it yet ... they are still putting it in the 21 Pilots, Odyssey and Ridgelines. That’s a lot of trannys!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I lived through CVT underworld. Possibly the worst transmission ever existed in mankind and automobile-kind.
I saw in the car-n-driver mag, Acura was approved for a patent for a 11AT. Don't know how far along Acura is on the 11AT? Might be for the +MMC 2025 MDX or maybe the +2030 5th Gen MDXs.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
When will this gear war stop??😆
Easy. Just tell the government to roll back and relax the ridiculous amount of emissions crap, and boom, no more infinite amount of unnecessary gears. Its all emissions and stuff that's politically motivated (we know who we looking at). I'd could give less about emissions on cars but there are a bunch of special need Karens that say otherwise. Hard to fight with them too.

nerds...

I'm probably one of the few people of my generation that wants manual transmissions to come back and have CVTs and X-speed autos to vanish into thin air.

·
Super Moderator
157 Posts
I’ll be curious to hear your take on the CX-9, coming from the MDX with a fairly stout V6. I like the CX-9 a lot, but that seems like a lot of weight to move with a 4 cylinder, especially if you’re into spirited driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I’ll be curious to hear your take on the CX-9, coming from the MDX with a fairly stout V6. I like the CX-9 a lot, but that seems like a lot of weight to move with a 4 cylinder, especially if you’re into spirited driving.
what the CX9 engineers did right was care about the buyers of their SUV and perform extensive testing.. even with a 4 cylinder turbo it out performs the V6 of MDX (non hybrids). MDX engineers didnt give a **** about their buyers year after year and went with the ZF9 even after it failed Acura’s testing. For Acura it’s fun to scam folks out of 50k and then say everything from the jerky shifts and clunks and clicks are normal.

PS: I drive my brother in law’s 2020 CX9 every chance I get when we go out as a family and love it. He on the other hand does not enjoy driving my clunky randomly responsive 2019 MDX one bit :(

·
Registered
963 Posts
My lease is up at the end of February 21, from some of the reviews I saw on YouTube, spec wise, they seem close. As for driving dynamics, hopefully when I do a test drive, I can notice enough difference between the two. One thing for sure is I won't miss that 9 speed tranny seems like its confused at times. everything else about the MDX works fine for me. As with anything new on the block there is always a good chance of things not working out as intended. new engine more technology I get that. ill keep you posted on my final decision.
Just throwing this out.....if you have any interest at all in a 2020 MDX, Acura will waive your final three lease payments. Best time of year to deal is now, and I am sure there are some good lease incentives available.
As an aside, I have had no tranny issues with my MDXs.

·
Super Moderator
157 Posts
what the CX9 engineers did right was care about the buyers of their SUV and perform extensive testing.. even with a 4 cylinder turbo it out performs the V6 of MDX (non hybrids). MDX engineers didnt give a **** about their buyers year after year and went with the ZF9 even after it failed Acura’s testing. For Acura it’s fun to scam folks out of 50k and then say everything from the jerky shifts and clunks and clicks are normal.

PS: I drive my brother in law’s 2020 CX9 every chance I get when we go out as a family and love it. He on the other hand does not enjoy driving my clunky randomly responsive 2019 MDX one bit :(
Hmmm... the only vehicle that I’ve ever owned that had comparable quality issues to my MDX was my 2006 Mazda 6s, which I also bought new. Traded that vehicle in 18 months old and it had already lost 40% of its value. Mazda quality may have improved since then, but I’d wager their resale hasn’t.

Performance between the two may be comparable in terms of handling, but power is not. The MDX is a full second quicker to 60 and while that might not sound like much, encumbered with passengers and cargo, it certainly will be. A big 4, even with a turbo, is not ideal given a vehicle this size. There is no replacement for displacement.

I am no stranger to quality and transmission issues in my ‘19 MDX, but to imply that Mazda Is somehow playing in a different league than Honda is a stretch.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Depending where the OP lives, a turbo 4 might provide more usable hp/tq compared to a NA V-6. My 300hp 3.7L MDX was down on power living/driving 5000-7500 feet by 20-40 hp. My 2.3T 08 RDX just spooled the turbo more for more air to make up for the altitude and never felt as down on power compared to my 11 MDX. Main reason I went hybrid electric power because the 3 electric motors aren't effected by high elevations.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The CX-9 is a great car. I almost bought the CX-9 last year instead of the MDX but the Acura won out for 4 reasons:
1) V6 - the Mazda 2.5T is a great engine with plenty of really useable low-end torque that is excellent for average driving, but I just didn't want the noise of a 4 banger and Honda's 3.5 V6 is buttery smooth and makes me smile when I rev it out. I wanted a car that makes me smile.
2) LKAS - I spend many hours each week behind the wheel so I wanted a car with active lane centering to help me feel less fatigued. In this regard Mazda's lane keep assist is useless (I also have a 19 CX-5 so I've spent lots of time with the system).
3) SH-AWD - Mazda's AWD system is perfectly adequate for most situations but it still allows for noticeable torque steer on acceleration and is reluctant to send power to the rear wheels. The SHAWD of the MDX is a blast for freeway onramps but has also proven very useful on giving me the traction I need when I'm offroad.
4) Size - the CX-9 is actually longer than the MDX but the interior feels smaller. Perhaps it's the shape of the dash, size of the windows, or black headliner (on GT+ trims). All specs appear to be very similar online, but in person the CX-9 feels like a smaller cabin (to me).

Go give the CX-9 a thorough test drive, I'm sure you will love it!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We were very close to going with the CX-9 this last round. Ultimately it came down to seat comfort for my wife. We've had a few CX-9 as rentals over the years and she had complained a bit on some longer trips. Otherwise I think she preferred the CX-9 in many ways. Definitely worth a close look.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I can’t find a publication that shows the CX9 being quicker than the non hybrid MDX to 60 or the 1/4 mile.
And I doubt the ZF9 failed Acura’s testing. I also can’t find that publication. If it did, Acura would not have put them in the MDX. Granted, it’s not the smoothest tranny out there but the 19 and 20 MDXs tranny is far better (overall) than the 16-18s. Not sure if you’ve had the latest software update, but its shown to improve the shifts and driveability. I have a 20 and the tranny shifts just fine. No issues. And real world hwy mileage indicates upwards of 29-30 mpg. If the tranny was that bad, Honda would not be putting them in all the 21 Pilot and Ridgelines.
And on a side note, the SH-AWD on the MDX is an overall better and more responsive system than the AWD CX9.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree the CX9 is a nice vehicle and fun to drive and I respect you liking it more than your MDX ..... but don’t make the MDX to be a clunky ole dog.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts

The part that you said for Acura its FUN to scam people out of 50k is ironic, considering you prefer a CX9 over your own MDX; it shows that you bought the wrong vehicle, and you should have gotten the CX9 instead. Plus, it seems you clearly never been in a newer Nissan product (that includes Infiniti). I personally felt Acura did enough to convey buyers from Honda to the Acura brand and it shows.

I guess you never heard of TSB 20-015 cuz you are saying something that Acura actually addressed in the form of a software update. Also, if you were never aware of this, but Honda always had issues relating to their transmissions, but not as bad as Nissan's Jatco CVT crap; so of course, Acura will say its normal, because Honda has a history of making eh types of trannies. The ZF 9-speed did not failed Honda's testing at all, otherwise Honda will NOT implement it into their V6 products.

My two cents, coming from late 90s and mid 00s Honda products and recent Nissan POSs.

Reactions: Tsturbo
1 - 20 of 53 Posts