Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, it turns out that it was the HFL causing the problem. The dealer diagnosed it on Saturday. They disconnected it, and now the current draw is down to about 20 mA when the car is sleeping. I guess this is good news, since the HFL is $700 compared to about $1600 for the radio. My dealership is contacting Acura to see if they will participate in the repair, since my MDX is just barely out of warranty.
I too am having issues with the battery draining overnight. Last weekend, I did what many on the forum have done in the past and began pulling relays and fuses. My initial current draw with the car off was around 800mA. I pulled the A/C clutch relay first - no change. Then I pulled open the center console and unplugged the HFL - current draw dropped from 800mA to 500mA. I continued searching and pulled the radio circuit fuse - dropped from 500mA to near zero (maybe 20mA at most). As a check I left the radio circuit open and plugged the HFL back in: 300mA draw. I also tried wiating 10-15 minutes for the car to go to sleep but still saw the same thing. Any thoughts on this one? It seems at this point that the HFL and radio are independent...

·
Registered
9 Posts
My Bluetooth unit did the same thing. Killed my battery a number of times before I figured it out. Disconnected the unit and there was no more dead batteries. Replaced, and no onto the next weird electrical issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chalk up another HFL module on my 2008... Battery (new) was draining over several days. AC Clutch relay tested fine, Fluke showed 200 ma continuous draw. Unplugged module and current dropped to 20ma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chalk up another to a faulty hfl module. I too experienced a dead battery for my 2008 MDX Sport but unfortunately I didn't put 2 and 2 together after my hfl stopped working. So after 3 calls to AAA for a jump and each time telling me my AAA battery was fine, I checked the boards to find out this probably was the culprit. So after unplugging the gray connection to the hfl unit, my $120 AAA battery is now working just fine.

So this is solved and now on to trying to figure out why my passenger mirror is causing problems with my driver settings. It seems to never end...

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2007 MDX is having the same battery drain after car sits over the weekend...makes it all the way through the week....So for the last few weeks I've been charging it over the weekend. Today we did some trouble shooting and have narrowed it down to the 10A audio ckt....so from what I've read, it could very well be the HFL - guessing that means hands free link? I never use it. Is HFL making that mechanical clicking noise every minute? When that clicking happens I see the Amps jump to about 3.68 - and that's about every 45-60 sec...then it drops why down, and of course without the audio fuse, there is no clicking, no spike....so is this still HFL?

It'd be nice telling the dealer they don't have to do so much troubleshooting as I have it diagnosed.

Will a Honda dealer be able to fix this as well? My nearest Acura dealer is about 80 miles away.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
just had the same issue, battery died on 2 separate occasions on MDX 2007. took it to the dealer first time. they said there was a ? broken wire in the radio which they fixed for $ 100, did not drive for 2 days after which it would not crank, all displays were gone. following jump start to the dealer who diagnosed the HFl system to be draining >200ma when it should be less than 20. I have never used the bluetooth so the option was to replace it for $ 340 or bypass it for free. is bypassed now. Was told Acura is aware of this issue. Believe they should fix/recall esp in the 2007 model. the battery was only 1 yr old so they did not get me to buy a new battery

·
Registered
2 Posts
just had the same issue, battery died on 2 separate occasions on MDX 2007. took it to the dealer first time. they said there was a ? broken wire in the radio which they fixed for $ 100, did not drive for 2 days after which it would not crank, all displays were gone. following jump start to the dealer who diagnosed the HFl system to be draining >200ma when it should be less than 20. I have never used the bluetooth so the option was to replace it for $ 340 or bypass it for free. is bypassed now. Was told Acura is aware of this issue. Believe they should fix/recall esp in the 2007 model. the battery was only 1 yr old so they did not get me to buy a new battery
Same here....I'm actually in the dealer customer lounge typing this....they came back and said "HFL Controller". Quoted me about $350 to replace....I told them just to disable it.....for which they're going to charge me $50.00.

I'm wondering if I should complain or not....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar problems on my 2007 MDX. The battery is draining if car sits very long. New battery installed a year ago and still checks good. Just had a new alternator put on 3 months ago. While checking the battery terminals I got a big spark, thinking electrical short. Used a tester and determined that pulling the radio fuse stoped the drain. Now I have no radio, nav systm, or backup camera. Also the gas door won't open. Can all these items really be on the same circuit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bluetooth Module was the cause in my MDX,

But I replaced it with a new unit, that I bought at EBay for $180.00. The new units have corrected this problem and are, no longer, draining the batteries. Replacement takes about 10 minutes for a non skilled person...

·
Registered
1 Posts
please help me...I have had this problem for a year!!! what is the part I need to get called and how did you test it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to thank all those who came before me for tracking this down. I had the exact same symptoms. Used the meter and was reading about 200ma and would spike to 2000ma+ every minute or so. Disconnected the hands free controller and it dropped to a consistent 20ma - no spikes.

Will keep my eye out for a new unit on ebay if we miss it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Acura MDX - same culprit: the HFL. I have a 2-month old 650 CCA Interstate battery - completely drained. The local garage diagnosed it accurately and informed me that the Acura dealer was quoting $400 for a replacement part but ran out of stock - tell-tale sign that the part is junk. So, I told the tech to just remove / by-pass the damn module.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for all the comments and suggestions here. I have a 2007 MDX with the very same condition. A BIG shout out to the guy who posted this video https://youtu.be/wP4y58l4Ug0 because he shows how to disconnect the hands-free link. He also descirbes another condition that is happening with my car as well...intermittant AC. He says its the AC relay adaptor and provides a link to ebay to buy new ($23). I did that as well.
One ongoing concern...with the hf disconnected I still show a draw of 460ma...too much I think. I will see if the dead battery returns even with the device disconnected. Anyone else see this continued higher than normal draw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem, turns out the previous owners had a boomerang (gps tracker) anti-theft installed but never had it uninstalled even after cancelling the service. It was draining the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. If the car sits for more than 2 days (or one day when its very cold out) my battery is dead. Bought a new battery (Costco) less than 12 months ago thinking it was the battery. Had the new battery tested and it seems to be fine. What is HFL?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the same problem. If the car sits for more than 2 days (or one day when its very cold out) my battery is dead. Bought a new battery (Costco) less than 12 months ago thinking it was the battery. Had the new battery tested and it seems to be fine. What is HFL?
HFL is the Hands Free Link (the bluetooth module), and its in the back of the center console. There's a lot of videos online that show to access it and unplug it. Hopefully that fixes your battery drain.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 MDX battery drain issue

so I have read all the forum comments, here's my thing........... having them same issue as all of you and its FRUSTRATING as hell! after having the battery die after 2 weeks, then charge it back up, then die again in a week.....so hit and miss with this.
took the car in had the following done;
1. replaced the battery because the tech said it wasn't the right battery and the cables were loose. (didn't fix the problem)
2. had it diagnosed and everything seemed fine except the AC relay pulled slightly high when the car was turned off. (didn't fix the problem)
3. took car back in to be relooked at and with my research on the internet found that it could be the HFL (hands free link), was told to unplug it for awhile to see if that's it. found this one out on the internet....guess what? (didn't fix the problem) battery died after 2 weeks.
4. did some more research on line and found that a person was having same issues, he said could be the Radio itself and the Bluetooth inside of it. haven't tried disconnecting the radio yet, but its my next move unless anyone can think of something else, let me know. The radio system would be $1600.00 to replace if that's the problem.....oh great!

if anyone has any other ideas, you can email them to me at [email protected]

I will repost if I find out that the radio is the problem.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I know this thread is old but I am having the same issue with the radio acting like its switching disks. I uploaded a video on youtube of the problem. https://youtu.be/odeBvTwzPP8 .

Can you tell me if the problem was ever corrected and how did you go about fixing it?

I am hoping that its the HFL because when I have the navigation on, and click on the menu to where you can "call", the area that shows the phone is grayed out and if I press the steering wheel button to make a call it does not work.

Let me know what you did to fix the issue because the radio unit itself is about $600-$700 on eBay...

Even with the HFL unplugged, it still makes that same noise

thanks!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hello, I know this thread is old but I am having the same issue with the radio acting like its switching disks. I uploaded a video on youtube of the problem. https://youtu.be/odeBvTwzPP8 .

Can you tell me if the problem was ever corrected and how did you go about fixing it?

I am hoping that its the HFL because when I have the navigation on, and click on the menu to where you can "call", the area that shows the phone is grayed out and if I press the steering wheel button to make a call it does not work.

Let me know what you did to fix the issue because the radio unit itself is about $600-$700 on eBay...

Even with the HFL unplugged, it still makes that same noise

thanks!
It's the radio that's bad and causing issues. HFL is greyed out bc the unit is probably already unplugged. I had the same issue on my MDX and have to get the radio repaired by panasonic when I have a day to remove the radio. I just drive it everyday now so the battery stays charged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 04 MDX and have had a similar problem. I have had radio/CD player continue to play when 'off' and had issues with the CD changer making noises after key is OFF. Also noticed that my rear left window would do some movement when I turned key to start car. This car does not have a HFL so I'm wondering if a window short or a radio short that causes the battery to drain. I did have the radio CD player repaired 18 months ago and had them install a ipod link and a headphone female connector and those do not work anymore. might be related.....thoughts?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts