Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
problem with my mdx2010

problem with my mdx 2010 the car can't start turning the car key on all the lights come up but the engine can't start up. fix me up on how to solve the problem

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anybody check if the fault unit is P/N: 39770-STX-A011-M1?

My MDX 2008 has the battery draining issue recently and the battery is 1-year new, got from the dealer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Battery drain, fusen#7, HFL is OK

Hi,

I've done bunch of reading and testing, would appreciate any help on next steps.

History
2012 Mdx with Navigation, 50k miles
This is wife's car. About month ago she saw what she thinks was tailgate relay warning. Disappeared and never showed again.
About a week ago battery died, I read 50k on MDX battery is reasonable, so just replaced it, so it has new battery.
Everything was fine for couple of days, then retrieve of seat/mirrors memory stopped working. Did not work in the morning, then worked if set during the day. Till next morning.
Then car started dying in the morning.

Troubleshooting
I have 2A parasitic draw. Removing 40A back up fuse in engine compartment or #7 (10a, back up) in interior compartment reduces this almost to zero.
Disconnected HFL - no change.

Next steps?
I'm not sure if I need to test battery / alternator, it seems so far tests don't show any problem there?
I could not find yet what's on #7. For now I see I lost navi and stereo, and remote locks(?)
I'd hate to have to go to dealer, anything else I can do to troubleshoot?

TIA!

·
Registered
962 Posts
First: If you have any aftermarket (i.e. not factory-installed) equipment (Alarms, audio, etc) they are #1 suspect. Check to see if any are connected the the backup circuit.

To properly diagnose further, you need a factory wiring diagram. One at a time, disconnect the items connected to that circuit while monitoring current draw. When the draw drops close to zero, you have the component identified.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've done bunch of reading and testing, would appreciate any help on next steps.

History
This is wife's car. About month ago she saw what she thinks was tailgate relay warning. Disappeared and never showed again.
About a week ago battery died, I read 50k on MDX battery is reasonable, so just replaced it, so it has new battery.
Everything was fine for couple of days, then retrieve of seat/mirrors memory stopped working. Did not work in the morning, then worked if set during the day. Till next morning.

Troubleshooting
I have 2A parasitic draw. Removing 40A back up fuse in engine compartment or #7 (10a, back up) in interior compartment reduces this almost to zero.

Next steps?
I'm not sure if I need to test battery / alternator, it seems so far tests don't show any problem there?
I could not find yet what's on #7. For now I see I lost navi and stereo, and remote locks(?)

TIA!
After further troubleshooting:
- removing fuse #7 does not always help, i.e. what i see is
no fuse=> no draw
insert fuse => draw
remove fuse => STILL DRAW

What I found works is: remove fuse, start car, stop car => no draw

·
Registered
6 Posts
After further troubleshooting:
- removing fuse #7 does not always help, i.e. what i see is
no fuse=> no draw
insert fuse => draw
remove fuse => STILL DRAW

What I found works is: remove fuse, start car, stop car => no draw
have the same issue. Did you find a solution? I already removed the handsfree unit about 18months ago and that worked for a while. Now I am getting about 1.66A when the car is turned off.

1) disconnect the battery and reconnect with doors closed, car off - 0.02A
2) open and shut the door with car off - 1.66A draw after all interior lights off

Pulling the #7 10amp fuse brings the draw back down to 0.02A but i get no radio. That is not going to work for my wife and two kids.

Any suggestions?? If i dont fix this soon I will have to go buy a minivan...NOOOOOO

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 MDX Battery Drain

I am having the same issue with battery drain on my wife's 2009 MDX. What is crazy is, when I disconnect the negative cable and connect my multimeter in series I get 0 draw... Absolutely nothing.... Yet, battery is still dead after a few days...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am having the same issue with battery drain on my wife's 2009 MDX. What is crazy is, when I disconnect the negative cable and connect my multimeter in series I get 0 draw... Absolutely nothing.... Yet, battery is still dead after a few days...
I think instead of a multimeter, you will want to use a sensitive digital dc ammeter which measures less than 30 volts and less than 10 amps.

Here is an example to search on the internet : Car Red Blue LED DC 0-100V/10A Motorcycle Digital Amp Meter Volt panel Meter Gauge Ammeter Voltmeter digital

·
Registered
286 Posts
So....sounds like these HFL issues pop up periodically on cars from 2007-2009. I have a 2008 and currently I do not seem to have this problem (but I don't leave the car off for long periods of time so ya never know).

So what I am wondering is whether there is a check I can do on the HFL unit to see whether it can potentially be a problem. One kind forum member here helped me diagnose the AC clutch relay issue and I was able to replace the old relay with the newer part from Acura. With the HFL is there a visual check on either a model or version number on the HFL unit that can confirm whether it is the original part or a replaced part? Or if the faulty module tends to have the same part number, does anyone know what it is? I just thought I'd be proactive and check it out.

Second question - if it needs to be replaced, any way to back it up? I have hundreds of numbers and voice memos of the listings saved in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the same circuit (#4 fuse box by battery and #7 under dash) causing a battery drain.

Hi,

History

Troubleshooting

Next steps?

TIA!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Acura MDX - battery drain - two problems found

I am just posting this message to help others who may have a battery drain problem with their 2006 Acura MDX (including NAV and Rear Entertainment System).

The first issue was the blueetooth controller - well documented in this forum. I disabled it. A good way to figure out if the bluettooth controller is the problem - is to to touch the ceiling area where the bluetooth controller is on the 2006 Acura MDX. If it is warm - even with the car off - you know you have a problem.

The frequency of battery drain dropped after disabling the HFL - but was still there - as evidenced by the navigation system losing code if the car was not driven for about a day.

The second source was much harder to locate. I first used a digital multi-meter in series with the battery to confirm that there was a battery drain. Measured 0.3 amps consistently - on the 10A scale on the meter.

Then I used the voltage drop method to check voltage drop across all but one fuse location (Primary - Under Hood, Driver side - inside dash, Auxillary - Under Hood).

I found the offending fuse to be fuse#1 in the auxillary fuse box - under the hood. Measured a 0.1 volt voltage drop. Put the digital multi meter in series - measured 0.3A. Removed the fuse - checked the battery drain - all but gone (0.02A).

Read this forum - and started putting two and two together - that there are potential problems with the CD player. Checked that the CD player is not operational (stuck). Wife confirmed that CD player stopped working 2-3 years ago and there are CD's stuck. The CD drawer is shut close. She also mentioned that the CD player occasionally makes noises.

As of now - I have removed the fuse - living without the radio and DVD player - until we go on a long drive - and I will plug the fuse back in.

Hope other people find this helpful.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Bringing a old thread back but in the past couple of days my 07 MDX has had a dead battery if it sits overnight. I’ve already unplugged the HFL a few years ago when it was draining the battery.

I need to look into the CD player issue but haven’t noticed any unusual CD changing noise but one thing that has been odd for me is a day or 2 ago when I would either unlock the car or open the drivers door the tailgate would open on it own.

Could a bad power tailgate module be a culprit of the battery draw?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Theoretically, any faulty module can. In terms of your tailgate malfunction connected to the driver door - likely a door harness issue. See here:
I'll have to check the wire harness and see if there is something broken as far as a wire. I should also be able to pull the fuse for the power tailgate to see if that's the issue, correct?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well I started to test out which circuit could be pulling the big draw on my car. I checked the driver door harness and no issues with wires torn.

When testing I pulled fuse #4 on the main under hood fuse box and the light went out. #4 says Audio, Door Lock and interior lights.

Since it stated that I went to the interior fuse box and pulled fuse #5,6,7,8 but no luck as the light was illuminated still.

Guess next step is to pull all the interior fuse and see if the light goes out and if it does then I’ll have to insert them back 1 by 1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m getting the same problem. The battery has been dying overnight on my 07 MDX, and I have narrowed it down to be something with #4 fuse. When I pull #7 on the interior driver side fuse box my MM drops to zero. Oddly though, when I plug #7 back in I hear the CD player click. I’ve had past problems with the CD player draining the battery when disks are in Like it is searching for discs. For now, I removed the #5 radio fuse under the driver side dash. I will report back in the morning if it dies again. BTW, the HFL unit has been unplugged for over a year now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I’m getting the same problem. The battery has been dying overnight on my 07 MDX, and I have narrowed it down to be something with #4 fuse. When I pull #7 on the interior driver side fuse box my MM drops to zero. Oddly though, when I plug #7 back in I hear the CD player click. I’ve had past problems with the CD player draining the battery when disks are in Like it is searching for discs. For now, I removed the #5 radio fuse under the driver side dash. I will report back in the morning if it dies again. BTW, the HFL unit has been unplugged for over a year now.
That’s interesting that you don’t hear the CD player when pulling #7 fuse since it says it’s related to interior lights and moonroof.

I guess I need to put a multimeter on mine since I was just using that test light and not seeing any difference.

I’ll be interested to hear your outcome.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts