Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My dealer is offering Zurich Shield Paint and Windshield protection for $365 which includes warranty for 7 years.

Is it worth the money? Anyone have an experience with this stuff?

Any input is highly appreciated

Thank you
Sri

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
My dealer offered me a similar paint protection deal.. I think it was like $700.. I turned it down. On a rainy stay at home Saturday I detailed mine in the garage and gave it two coats of wax!
Then gave all the out side glass a coat of Rain X.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer offered me a similar paint protection deal.. I think it was like $700.. I turned it down. On a rainy stay at home Saturday I detailed mine in the garage and gave it two coats of wax!
Then gave all the out side glass a coat of Rain X.

Thank you for the reply! Your MDX looks great and finish! How many hours did u work on it and how much cost was it for Meguiara's wax to complete such a good job?

Thanks again
Srinivas

·
Registered
144 Posts
About $25 for the wax on Ebay..
For lighter colors there is
Meguiars G6107 White Wax
For darker colors Meguiars G6207 Black Wax
There is also Meguiars G18211 Ultimate Paste ( good for hotter climates I read)
Just do a search on Ebay

Amazing wax! Easy to apply and very easy to hand buff off..
I washed the MDX's the day before and had them in the garage to dry.
Next day I waxed them. Easy to apply the wax with a soft cloth, did the entire car in about 45 min. then I let it dry for an hour and cleaned the tires and worked on cleaning the glass and treating with Rain X while I waited for the wax to dry and worked on the other MDX at the same time. It was a rainy Saturday and humidity was high so wax took a lot longer to dry for me.
After it was really easy to buff off by hand with a micro soft cloth and under it was an amazing mirror gloss. I was so impressed with the product I ordered a few more tubes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About $25 for the wax on Ebay..
For lighter colors there is
Meguiars G6107 White Wax
For darker colors Meguiars G6207 Black Wax
There is also Meguiars G18211 Ultimate Paste ( good for hotter climates I read)
Just do a search on Ebay

Amazing wax! Easy to apply and very easy to hand buff off..
I washed the MDX's the day before and had them in the garage to dry.
Next day I waxed them. Easy to apply the wax with a soft cloth, did the entire car in about 45 min. then I let it dry for an hour and cleaned the tires and worked on cleaning the glass and treating with Rain X while I waited for the wax to dry and worked on the other MDX at the same time. It was a rainy Saturday and humidity was high so wax took a lot longer to dry for me.
After it was really easy to buff off by hand with a micro soft cloth and under it was an amazing mirror gloss. I was so impressed with the product I ordered a few more tubes.
Thank you for the information! Did you do Any work on interior leather to protect from staining and aging?

Thank you once again!
Srinivas

·
Registered
144 Posts
Absolutely! I use Meguiars G18616 Gold Class Leather Conditioner
Amazing stuff.. keeps the leather looking rich and soft so it wont dry and crack. First time I sprayed it on thick and rubbed it in and let it soak in then did a second coat after. Every month or two I give it another spray to keep it up.
There is also, Meguiars G17914 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner
Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Cond #G7214
Meguiars G3800 Gold Class Leather Guard System

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely! I use Meguiars G18616 Gold Class Leather Conditioner
Amazing stuff.. keeps the leather looking rich and soft so it wont dry and crack. First time I sprayed it on thick and rubbed it in and let it soak in then did a second coat after. Every month or two I give it another spray to keep it up.
There is also, Meguiars G17914 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner
Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Cond #G7214
Meguiars G3800 Gold Class Leather Guard System
Hi Fishbum, Thank you for the information! Sri

·
Registered
641 Posts
Use Opti-coat . It costs $70 will do more than one car and is really good, no need for wax
Optimum Polymer Technologies Opti-Coat is one of the paint coatings that is actually worth the cost. Others include coatings from Gtechniq, CarPro, 22PLE, and a few others you see frequently discussed on the autogeek and autopia forums. Meguiar's actually has a paint coating but it's not sold in the USA yet.

Note that the stuff sold by the dealer is almost never used by detailing pros and enthusiasts. That's probably because they would quickly be discovered to be garbage.

The cost may only be $60-70 for the product, but pro detailers will often charge up to $400 for an application, which doesn't even include the several hundred dollars for a paint correction to prepare the surface for the coating. If you're capable of properly preparing your paint for sealant or wax, you can prepare it for a paint coating.

Until a couple years ago I used to use products like Klasse, Zaino, Four Star, and Blackfire, but after my experience with Gtechniq paint coating, I'll never put a sealant or wax on my own car again. The Gtechniq EXOv2 that I applied four months ago has better beading, gloss, and slickness than a fresh application of Zaino or other paint sealant, and the same will still be true another four months from now. The cost per application is substantial, but the labor savings (due to less frequent prep/application) offsets the increased cost, plus the coatings give better protection against contaminants that can etch the paint, like bird bombs and bug splats. If you consider yourself a detailing enthusiast, and haven't tried a paint coating, you are way behind the times.

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Gtechniq EXOv2 Sounds amazing. I looked it up found this Youtube clip on it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYS_dYyfAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

6 step process?... Not sure I'd go that crazy and do a clay cut, then a cut polish... sounds like a great product however a bit over kill me thinks.
Might be a great product for some exotic cars to play around with.
For the average daily use family car.. I'm going to keep it simple, a coat of good quality Meguiars wax a few times a year will do just fine. Most people I know never wax their cars.. lucky they get even washed once a year lol :eek: If I can keep my MDX washed and clean with a good wax on it a few times a year.. I'll be happy happy happy :D

·
Registered
641 Posts
Gtechniq EXOv2 Sounds amazing. I looked it up found this Youtube clip on it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cYS_dYyfAE&feature=youtube_gdata_player
The videos that show the hydrophobic properties of the coatings are the ones that sold me. Ones like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6B_2IEPzv8

Just amazing how the water rolls off. Another one shows someone dragging around a water droplet all over a painted surface with their finger. There is more adhesion to the person's finger than the surface, so the drop sticks to their finger and is dragged all over the surface.

Might be a great product for some exotic cars to play around with.
For the average daily use family car.. I'm going to keep it simple, a coat of good quality Meguiars wax a few times a year will do just fine.
I feel the opposite way - to me the daily driver needs the most durable protection. I might think differently if I didn't have all the tools and time to apply these myself, and had to pay someone several hundred dollars per car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So your saying every one should go out and get Gtechniq EXOv2
and if you don't your wrong and behind the times?? :28:
Where do these people come from??? :24:

Here is my 4runner I bought New 21 years ago! has no rust! been out side for 21 years! I'v washed and took very good care of it.. Has it ever had Gtechniq EXOv2 ?? LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
641 Posts
So your saying every one should go out and get Gtechniq EXOv2
and if you don't your wrong and behind the times?? :28:
You've got a reading comprehension problem.

If you claim to be a detailing enthusiast, but are not familiar with coatings, you are behind the times. That's what I wrote. Most people aren't detailing enthusiasts, so I wouldn't expect them to know about coatings. Nor did I ever state that "your wrong" [sic] to not use a coating. I was explaining my reasons for putting a coating on a daily driver.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You need to stare at your self for awhile in the mirror reflection of your Gtechniq EXOv2 shine... :eek:

·
Registered
520 Posts
... The Gtechniq EXOv2 that I applied four months ago has better beading, gloss, and slickness than a fresh application of Zaino or other paint sealant, and the same will still be true another four months from now ...
time traveller, huh?

So your saying every one should go out and get Gtechniq EXOv2 and if you don't your wrong and behind the times?? :28:
from the future!

·
Registered
461 Posts
You guys are being quite unfair to jhue.

To the point of appearing to misinterpret him so you have an opportunity to act uncivil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts