Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD TECH
40 Posts
Correction: "you run engine at IDLE IN PARK until reaching desired temp".

·
Registered
3 Posts
More issues seem to have sprang up on me as of today. Brake, VSA, Hill assistant, Power steering, and Lane departure lights have all turned for some reason. Car only has 61k miles and I took it to the dealer prior to doing the ATF change myself with none of the warnings being activated at the time.

I'm wondering what I did wrong and am slightly concerned. The car drove fine today but I do remember having to put the car in VSA mode a few times to get it right and then shifting the gears. At one point I did press the brake pedal and pressed the gas pedal simultaneously as I was unsure wether I should raise the RPM or not.

Sigh......I hope I didn't just make this a more expensive job than it needed to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 - but one day I’ll upgrade and I am dreading having to buy an $800 scanner to change the transmission fluid which is easier than changing any other fluid.

There are 3 plugs on the ZF9, Drain (bottom), Fill (top) and the side one I suppose that’s the check level plug?

Why isn’t the process as easy as.

1.Open the fill (always open the f before you drain)

2. Drain

3. Close drain

4. Open the side plug

5. Fill until it dribbles out of the side plug

6. Close side Plug

7. Close Drain Plug.

8. Drink a beer!

does heating it up get more out of the drain?
I am just not getting it? Seems like they are making this daunting so ya DIYers 2nd think it.

I don’t know - What’s so illogical about measuring what you drain and put in exactly what you take out?
There is no way acura technicians follow this correctly. They just do a drain and fill. Part of the reason I want to do this myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
All the steps are done with the vehicle running. After you disable the VSA and run thru gears 1-4 manually, place it in park, idle the car in Park and wait until the temperature reaches 104F*. You check the fluid level with the car idling and add or remove fluid with the vehicle on.
The fluid temperature doesn’t increase very rapidly; it is very gradual given you time to adjust the level.

Honestly, the tasks seemed daunting at first; once you start , it is super easy.

Practice getting the vehicle in VSA service mode beforehand.

I now feel guilty for not taking pictures and sharing with you folks.
Is there a practical way of doing this by driving the vehicle a certain time to warm up the fluid? Without doing the VSA steps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Is there a practical way of doing this by driving the vehicle a certain time to warm up the fluid? Without doing the VSA steps
The issue becomes how will you know at what distance/time the transmission reaches the proper temperature?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a used 2018 MDX Base a few days ago with 50k miles. When or at what mileage does the transmission fluid need to be replaced? Coming from an Odyssey, I replaced the ATF every 60k miles, but it was the 6-speed not the ZF 9-speed. I was reading through the Owner's Manual yesterday and couldn't find recommended maintenance for ATF replacement.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
882 Posts
Just bought a used 2018 MDX Base a few days ago with 50k miles. When or at what mileage does the transmission fluid need to be replaced? Coming from an Odyssey, I replaced the ATF every 60k miles, but it was the 6-speed not the ZF 9-speed. I was reading through the Owner's Manual yesterday and couldn't find recommended maintenance for ATF replacement.
I did mine at 41k miles, but the MID threw the code at 47k miles. Usually around 45k miles is when the MID will throw it for the ZF 9spd.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You will get a code in the MID when the time comes. I have almost 50k on my MDX and the car has not asked for a change since I bought it at 20k miles. All my miles are highway and I am not an aggressive driver. The service interval changes based on how the vehicle is driven, likewise with the oil change interval. I'm sure there's no harm in doing it sooner than when the cars tells you to, but I embrace the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Given that my car drives flawlessly, I'm in no hurry to mess with the transmission unnecessarily. YMMV

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
312 Posts
I recently purchased a 2016 CPO, looking at it's service history, transmission fluid was replaced once around 25k miles and the second one at around 50k miles. I am now at 64k miles. Not sure if I wait for MID or replace at 75k miles, at my current rate of driving, I won't be at 75k for another 12-18 months.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like to wrench on my cars; have done several drain and fills on some Nissan and Toyotas, but this is one I may have the dealer handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Touring-Jay for the help! I did deviate some using this video:

I did not use scan tool.
After refilling, I drove car for 15-20 minutes and shifted M1-M4 for 10 seconds each a few times. Then did the 2k RPM while in park for 10 seconds. Used IR temp gun and hit it at different spots to get within range. Then did fluid check and added until dripping.

It was pain getting car on jack stands and ensuring car was level.

All seems fine. Maybe even smoother shifts. May just be placebo effect.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
312 Posts
If the vehicle is shifting fine, I guess it is safe to assume the fluid level is fine. So, based on that assumption, I don't understand why it would be a mistake to simply replace same amount of fluid that drained after making sure fluid temps(old and new) are the same.
Don't you think the service manual process is only needed when you perform some other transmission service that requires fluid level adjustment?
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
882 Posts
What does the dealer charge to perform this service?
It varies by dealer to dealer. Some dealers charge $230 for a flush and others near $300 for a D&F.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
What does the dealer charge to perform this service?
2 dealers in Denver area charge around 350. considering the parts alone is like $200. I did a few times at home without issues. Just measured what I took out and put in the exact amount. I heard some dealers are doing this method too because it's way faster. People making this way harder than it should be. of course, dealers want you to bring it in for even a air filter change.

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
312 Posts
Called Acura dealership, SA says vehicle will tell you when to replace, typically at around 40k mile intervals. Tranny fluid service at that dealership is $330

41 - 60 of 61 Posts