Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Did you guys figure this out with a dealer? Making another appointment next week to bring it in for the rough 1-2nd gear shift. Last time they just cleared the transmission code and claimed no software update was available.
What did the dealer say about your issue with seat heaters not working and audio system locking up without restarting the vehicle?

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

In my FX35 I had a seat heater switch that on occasion wouldn't light up and thus seat wouldn't heat up. I'd restart and it would go away but would always come back a few months down the road. Eventually after complaining several times and the dealer not finding the problem they just replaced the switch for me and the problem went away. Since there isn't a switch in the MDX with the controls in the touch screen a simple switch swap isn't possible but wanted to mention as it was a similar problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got a 2018 MDX. I'm also experiencing the same rough shifting from 1-2 and back at low speed or acceleration. I've put about 700 miles on it so far. I signed up for Acura link Premium trial. Under status in the app, there was 9 alerts displayed. Basically everything that can send an alert from the car was displayed. All of them wants me to contact my dealer and make an appointment. withing the app, they all went away. Yesterday, I open the app again and there was 4 new ones. check engine check oil check sh-awd etc. I have NO warning lights on my dash once I start the car or driving it. Key fob does not detect me sometimes when i go to lock the door. it happened 3 times. I was idling for about 10 minutes last night. Once I got out the car, the smell around the car was horrible. like some rubber was burning. again no indication on the dash no rough idle etc. i didn't smell anything inside either. My daily commute is about 15 minute round trip so who knows if **** will blow up beyond that. I will make an appointment and hopefully get all this resolve and report back here.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I recently got a 2018 MDX. I'm also experiencing the same rough shifting from 1-2 and back at low speed or acceleration. I've put about 700 miles on it so far. I signed up for Acura link Premium trial. Under status in the app, there was 9 alerts displayed. Basically everything that can send an alert from the car was displayed. All of them wants me to contact my dealer and make an appointment. withing the app, they all went away. Yesterday, I open the app again and there was 4 new ones. check engine check oil check sh-awd etc. I have NO warning lights on my dash once I start the car or driving it. Key fob does not detect me sometimes when i go to lock the door. it happened 3 times. I was idling for about 10 minutes last night. Once I got out the car, the smell around the car was horrible. like some rubber was burning. again no indication on the dash no rough idle etc. i didn't smell anything inside either. My daily commute is about 15 minute round trip so who knows if **** will blow up beyond that. I will make an appointment and hopefully get all this resolve and report back here.
Go talk with the dealer service. Mine will send alerts if I start it improperly or say try to turn it off before putting it in park then start it again then shut it down again. Also learn how to delete alerts, you may be seeing old ones when the car was checked pre-delivery.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What did the dealer say about your issue with seat heaters not working and audio system locking up without restarting the vehicle?

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

In my FX35 I had a seat heater switch that on occasion wouldn't light up and thus seat wouldn't heat up. I'd restart and it would go away but would always come back a few months down the road. Eventually after complaining several times and the dealer not finding the problem they just replaced the switch for me and the problem went away. Since there isn't a switch in the MDX with the controls in the touch screen a simple switch swap isn't possible but wanted to mention as it was a similar problem.
I dont have those issues, I just have the rough 1-2 shift. Luckily my seat warmers work well and audio system once in a blue moon will lag or freeze but its not enough of a headache to bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just back from the dealer for the second time and this is what the tech wrote up:

Felt rough shifting in 2nd gear, perform DTC scan, P2638, U0101-00, U0401-68, able to reset all DTCS, techline advise to reset the check datalist in PGMFI and perform PCM/ECM reset. Perform idle relearn after. Shifting is better now.

Felt the exact same jerking into 2nd all the way back home.

I guess Acura doesn't bother fixing error codes. Why make repairs when you can just reset all the error codes... maybe other car manufacturers will follow suit...

So much for Acura reliability or quality.

Should have kept my 10 year old Lexus....
i would trust my 20 year old lexus over this new MDX... for instance, even though the 98+ LS has electronic throttle control, there's still a physical cable connected to the pedal with a mechanical backup so even if there's in issue with the electronic control, there's always a way to move the throttle plate. you also don't need to partially disassemble the intake just to access the battery. which, should it go flat, will not affect the ability to shift the car into neutral, whereas the MDX won't let you engage neutral if the engine isn't running. and i've certainly never seen images like this pop up...

come on honda! we know you can do better. for acura to be this low on any survey is unacceptable...

at least they still beat land rover haha

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
And that’s it... finally added him to the ignore list.

I’ll never understand why people troll forums for vehicles they don’t even own.

Reactions: 2013silvrmdx

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Aren't those photos of the MDX MID though, as that would indicate he does (or did at one point) own the MDX?
I believe those pictures are just ones he found on Google or the forum.

He's already said in other threads that he doesn't own an MDX. He's a kid. His mom supposedly has a MDX... And he just likes to come here and talk smack about the MDX.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I believe those pictures are just ones he found on Google or the forum.

He's already said in other threads that he doesn't own an MDX. He's a kid. His mom supposedly has a MDX... And he just likes to come here and talk smack about the MDX.
Gotcha. Yeah I hate it when people use online forums as a vehicle for trolling. I use them to have honest discussions and to try and find out information that I'd never know otherwise. Having a bunch of BS makes it harder to know what are legitimate complaints/problems vs what are people with a gripe against Acura or the MDX for whatever reason. Or someone who just wants to get a rise out of people by trolling.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Well he kinda does have a point regarding the JD powers ratings. I didn't know Acura had fallen that much.
That point is definitely valid, I'm not disputing the validity of that. Acura definitely is no longer on par with Toyota/Lexus from a quality/reliability standpoint like they were many years ago. They're not junk by any means, just not the bulletproof vehicles they were many years ago.

Both Consumer Reports and JD Power ratings reflect Acura falling down to about the middle of the pack now or slightly below, where they used to be near the top of the rankings.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I personally suspect that software issues and the 9-speed trans issues are where the main complaints to JDS came from. From what I have read here for the last year, and from discussions with Acura staff, it seems that the main issue right now is getting the 9-speed to work in a way people expect it to. What I mean by this is one person might say, I step on it and get these hard firm shifts that are too abrupt, and the next person might say I step on it and the shifts seem soft to me. One person (like me) never uses paddles, and someone else loves to use paddle shifting. Honda/Acura still seems to be looking for that spot where 90% of their clients get the feel they expect. I for example find the MDX sprung ride too harsh but others say it is about right. On the 2014 and 2015 Sh-AWD models, the IDS settings affect how the power comes on and the trans shifts. Do they also affect the power and trans shifts on the 9-speed?

My Legends had a cable to the throttle body. Step on it any amount and the car responded accordingly. When I went to the RL it was throttle body by wire. There was a lag sometimes of 3 or 4 seconds when I hit WOT. If during those 3 or 4 seconds I took my foot off the gas - say the opportunity to change lanes went away because someone else changed their speed, that would confuse the heck out of the engine and transmission. I had to learn to hit WOT a few seconds before I wanted it in order to have it on time - until the computer learned my driving habits, then WOT was WOT (until a battery change cleared its habits). Or, mileage fell due to some bad habit it learned, and I had to clear its memory and start its learning all over again. All these technologies have their benefits but sometimes to me it is like learning to drive again. Same going from RWD to FWD or FWD to Sh-AWD. The driving techniques are different. I kind of wonder if some of the 9-speed issues are this. We had push button transmissions in some cars back in the mid-1960's and Americans could not wait to git rid of them because of lack of feedback. Maybe we are seeing the same thing here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That point is definitely valid, I'm not disputing the validity of that. Acura definitely is no longer on par with Toyota/Lexus from a quality/reliability standpoint like they were many years ago. They're not junk by any means, just not the bulletproof vehicles they were many years ago.

Both Consumer Reports and JD Power ratings reflect Acura falling down to about the middle of the pack now or slightly below, where they used to be near the top of the rankings.
Agreed. I'd add that part of the issue is that all makers have improved in terms of quality. It's not that Acura is a mess per se, just that others have improved more.

Still, they'd do well to address the issue. I'd not spend Acura money again until I see the brand return to stand-out quality/performance. While I need a bigger vehicle, the new RDX certainly is interesting. I'd give it a few years though to see how the ten speed does in comparison to the ZF9 which is not a great performer.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Its the fuel economy thing. By holding an engine in its optimal RPM range the fuel economy is better. The downside is more gears are needed. I grew up when 3 and 4 speeds were quite adequate for everything. Now the MPG standards states like California mandate require the manufacturers to be more creative. I see it as chasing diminishing returns but the guidelines still tighten. Some legislatures want to outlaw internal combustion engines completely in the next 20 years.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Its the fuel economy thing. By holding an engine in its optimal RPM range the fuel economy is better. The downside is more gears are needed. I grew up when 3 and 4 speeds were quite adequate for everything. Now the MPG standards states like California mandate require the manufacturers to be more creative. I see it as chasing diminishing returns but the guidelines still tighten. Some legislatures want to outlaw internal combustion engines completely in the next 20 years.
Fuel economy is definitely a primary driving factor. I'd say another factor is performance. More gears lets you stay in the power band for a greater percentage of time.

Coupled with a ~400 lbs weight savings, the 3rd-gen MDX is quicker and considerably more fuel efficient, when compared to the 2nd-gen.

2nd-gen MDX - 4,669 lbs - 300 hp @ 6,000 RPM, 275 lb-ft @ 5,000 RPM
128.5072 hp per ton
117.7982 lb-ft per ton

3rd-gen MDX - 4,268 lbs - 290 hp @ 6,200 RPM, 267 lb-ft @ 4,500 RPM
135.8950 hp per ton
125.1172 lb-ft per ton

As for electric vehicles... They are the future. Even 120 years ago, electric cars had distinct advantages over ICE-equipped vehicles. The biggest drawback has always been battery technology. Eventually, the battery tech will be at a point where electric vehicles meet most needs, for most people. And when that happens, ICE-equipped vehicles will phase out -- rapidly, imo.

·
Registered
713 Posts
More gears lets you stay in the power band for a greater percentage of time.
I considered that but really have no way to interpolate the data. The engines are VTech which means they have multiple camshaft profiles and tuning. I know the earlier Acura V6 in my Legends had a plenum that was sized based on the amount of air needed - basically a primary and secondary plenum. Those factors greatly expanded the power and torque curve well beyond conventional engines so I don't know if the performance argument on gearing is as valid as it would have been on a conventional engine. Since I have no need to disassemble one it is hard to know exactly the shape and feel of things or how they might work on a flow bench.

·
Registered
495 Posts
As for electric vehicles... They are the future. Eventually, the battery tech will be at a point where electric vehicles meet most needs, for most people. And when that happens, ICE-equipped vehicles will phase out -- rapidly, imo.
Until some study comes out and concludes electromagnetic radiation from the motor is a possible carcinogen :wink:

·
Registered
713 Posts
speaking of ZF9 & other Acura issues - At least Acura hasn't gotten hit with buy backs like VW/Audi has. Autonews photo of some of the ones bought back with the diesel issue.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Have you ever seen a line or bar graph with what appears to be dramatic differences in data points, but there is no scale or reference to get some context? These ratings companies are similar. I personally find a huge distinction between owner complaints and and actual failures but it doesn't seem like these ratings separate the two categories. It is/was a total fail on Acura's part however to not have the software fully sorted on the ZF on the 2016 MY.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same issue with hard shifts on a 2017 MDX bought new, and now have 10,000 miles. I love the SUV, incredible seats, and great features. BUT....unless this is fixed, I have bought an Acura twice - the first and last time.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts