Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a rough shift on my 2017 MDX, mostly 1-2 shift. For up shift 1-2 , it happens when I gently apply gas pedal from stop. But if I apply gas very slow or fast, the shift is OK. For down shift 2-1, it happens when I apply brake very slowly before full stop of the car.
I've put 12k miles, at first I think the shift was generally smooth. I know the transmission is learning to adapt to the driver. Is it learning bad?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Have the dealer take a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a rough shift on my 2017 MDX, mostly 1-2 shift. For up shift 1-2 , it happens when I gently apply gas pedal from stop. But if I apply gas very slow or fast, the shift is OK. For down shift 2-1, it happens when I apply brake very slowly before full stop of the car.
I've put 12k miles, at first I think the shift was generally smooth. I know the transmission is learning to adapt to the driver. Is it learning bad?
Hey there I came across this forum while researching the problem I have with my car.

I just purchased a 2017 Acura MDX w/Tech and entertainment and it has a similar problem to what you are describing. I took it to the dealer and was told that it's fine and that it is normal. There was an error code P0701 found and the technician reset the code and stated it's fine. Technician stated that the car just needed to learn my driving habit and the problem would go away but he reset the driving logic which made no sense to me at all.

It was bothering me a lot so I test drove two different MDXs (2018 and 2017) and both did not have this rough shift into 2nd gear.

I'm getting very frustrated with this issue and am taking the car into the dealer again to try and have it fixed.

Did you have any luck in getting your vehicle fixed? If so what was the repair that was done?

Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
More transmission issues; disappointing. That said, is this only when cold, or all the time? Mine exhibits the same but only for the first 5 or so miles of driving. After it warms, the rough shift improves to only noticeable. I was told it is the nature of the super-low launch gear by the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
More transmission issues; disappointing. That said, is this only when cold, or all the time? Mine exhibits the same but only for the first 5 or so miles of driving. After it warms, the rough shift improves to only noticeable. I was told it is the nature of the super-low launch gear by the dealer.
Hey there. My problems persists whether the car is cold or warm. The jerking is more violent when the car is cold but it never goes away regardless of how long I drive the car.

I did test drove two other MDXs while they were not warmed up and noticed no jerking into second gear. My thought on the matter is if this behavior is normal, it should be present on all MDXs with the ZF9 transmission but so far I have only been able to observe it on mine of the 3 that I have drove.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ask the dealership to update the software per TSB 17-034
I asked the tech regarding any software updates and he stated that "Checked for all software update and all was ok".

I'll ask again for them to check the software update.

Also came across "transmission pressure switch replacement" as another possible remedy so maybe ask about this as well... overall love the car but this and other problems have detracted from joy of my Acura ownership

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey there I came across this forum while researching the problem I have with my car.

I just purchased a 2017 Acura MDX w/Tech and entertainment and it has a similar problem to what you are describing. I took it to the dealer and was told that it's fine and that it is normal. There was an error code P0701 found and the technician reset the code and stated it's fine. Technician stated that the car just needed to learn my driving habit and the problem would go away but he reset the driving logic which made no sense to me at all.

It was bothering me a lot so I test drove two different MDXs (2018 and 2017) and both did not have this rough shift into 2nd gear.

I'm getting very frustrated with this issue and am taking the car into the dealer again to try and have it fixed.

Did you have any luck in getting your vehicle fixed? If so what was the repair that was done?

Thanks
Dealer always says it is normal. Mine has the 1-2 shift jerk regardless of whether cold or warm. The jerk is unnoticeable only when I do a very slow or very fast acceleration.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dealer always says it is normal. Mine has the 1-2 shift jerk regardless of whether cold or warm. The jerk is unnoticeable only when I do a very slow or very fast acceleration.
I have the same thing and have been noticing it more and more now that its mentioned on these forums. I plan to ask the dealer to update the software if there is one available. If not then I will have to just learn to deal with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the same thing and have been noticing it more and more now that its mentioned on these forums. I plan to ask the dealer to update the software if there is one available. If not then I will have to just learn to deal with it.
I've been dealing with it all the time. Will ask the TSB when my next service is due. Also will wait and see your update.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just back from the dealer for the second time and this is what the tech wrote up:

Felt rough shifting in 2nd gear, perform DTC scan, P2638, U0101-00, U0401-68, able to reset all DTCS, techline advise to reset the check datalist in PGMFI and perform PCM/ECM reset. Perform idle relearn after. Shifting is better now.

Felt the exact same jerking into 2nd all the way back home.

I guess Acura doesn't bother fixing error codes. Why make repairs when you can just reset all the error codes... maybe other car manufacturers will follow suit...

So much for Acura reliability or quality.

Should have kept my 10 year old Lexus....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just back from the dealer for the second time and this is what the tech wrote up:

Felt rough shifting in 2nd gear, perform DTC scan, P2638, U0101-00, U0401-68, able to reset all DTCS, techline advise to reset the check datalist in PGMFI and perform PCM/ECM reset. Perform idle relearn after. Shifting is better now.

Felt the exact same jerking into 2nd all the way back home.

I guess Acura doesn't bother fixing error codes. Why make repairs when you can just reset all the error codes... maybe other car manufacturers will follow suit...

So much for Acura reliability or quality.

Should have kept my 10 year old Lexus....
I posted the same exact thing. Wonder whats triggering that code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
stumbled across this thread as I was searching for others dealing with the same issues I am experiencing. I bought a 2018 MDX in December and LOVED it at first but I am starting to get frustrated. I experience the rough shift consistently in low gears. I haven't gone back to dealer yet because I have read stuff about the new 9 speed and that it might be that I just need to get use to it BUT I am at the point that I do not agree. Will head to the dealer next week as I am 3000 miles into my MDX and starting to fall out of love. Also running into other random computer/issues. Sometimes I can't turn on heated seats - have to turn car off and re-start to be able to push option OR they just turn off without me doing and I can't turn them back on without re-starting the car. Also, have had the audio system lock up or not start a couple of times. Again, have to re-start the car to get it working. Will see what the dealer says when I bring it in next week but was curious as to others experiencing the same issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
stumbled across this thread as I was searching for others dealing with the same issues I am experiencing. I bought a 2018 MDX in December and LOVED it at first but I am starting to get frustrated. I experience the rough shift consistently in low gears. I haven't gone back to dealer yet because I have read stuff about the new 9 speed and that it might be that I just need to get use to it BUT I am at the point that I do not agree. Will head to the dealer next week as I am 3000 miles into my MDX and starting to fall out of love. Also running into other random computer/issues. Sometimes I can't turn on heated seats - have to turn car off and re-start to be able to push option OR they just turn off without me doing and I can't turn them back on without re-starting the car. Also, have had the audio system lock up or not start a couple of times. Again, have to re-start the car to get it working. Will see what the dealer says when I bring it in next week but was curious as to others experiencing the same issues.
Hey there. List of issues I have had are as follows:

1. Key fob intermittently not detecting I'm driver 1 and adjusting the seat settings.
Acura fix: reset memory seating and advised to get rid of my dashcam.

2. Made a post regarding "Shifting to park: press brake pedal"
Acura fix: this is normal live with it.

3. Thermometer reading is strange as it was reading warm temperature on a freezing day. Took video showed tech.
Acura fix: this is normal.

4. Rough shifting which I have been to the dealer twice for. Both times dct logged error codes for rough shifting and few other stuff.
Acura fix: reset computer x 2.

·
Registered
568 Posts
2. Made a post regarding "Shifting to park: press brake pedal"
Acura fix: this is normal live with it.

3. Thermometer reading is strange as it was reading warm temperature on a freezing day. Took video showed tech.
Acura fix: this is normal.
For "Shifting to park: press brake pedal" can you clarify what the issue you reported was?

For the thermometer showing a strange reading issue, what temp did it display and what was the actual temp outside? If more than just a few degrees different then there's no way that is "normal" per the dealer's statement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For "Shifting to park: press brake pedal" can you clarify what the issue you reported was?

For the thermometer showing a strange reading issue, what temp did it display and what was the actual temp outside? If more than just a few degrees different then there's no way that is "normal" per the dealer's statement.
This was my post:

Just purchased 2017 Mdx tech brand new and have some bizarre issues with the car.

When car is not warmed up yet, shifting to park shows the warning mentioned in the subject.

I have the brake pedal floored and this stupid message still comes up.

Took the car in for various issues and tech demonstrated on another 2017 mdx which showed exact same warning.

Apparently this is normal?

I guess poor quality is normal for Acura.
----
Temperature reading wise, it was off by 20 degrees Celsius or 36 degrees Fahrenheit so I would say it was off by quite a bit.

Reading was so very incredibly off that I made a video of it. My phone showed 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit) and when I turned my car on the temperature climbed in 1 degree increment until it reached 20 degrees Celsius (68 degrees Fahrenheit).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you guys figure this out with a dealer? Making another appointment next week to bring it in for the rough 1-2nd gear shift. Last time they just cleared the transmission code and claimed no software update was available.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts