Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke to my local service department, and was told that Acura is going to be extending the warranty on the 2016, 17, 18 MDX's with the ZF9 transmission. He said it would be 10 years, unlimited miles. I have no paper confirmation on it, but he said to keep my eyes open for some mail on the subject. I sure hope he's right!!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
It wouldn't be an Acura without some-type of AT issue to deal with short and long term. We had a short break from 2006 to around 2014 with (better than average for Acura) 5AT and 6ATs.

Is Honda having the same issues with their 9AT vehicles?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I have this odd feeling your dealer read the recent tsb on the warmer problem wrong. It says 10/unlim on the replacement warmer, not the entire tranny. But who knows maybe they got better info.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this odd feeling your dealer read the recent tsb on the warmer problem wrong. It says 10/unlim on the replacement warmer, not the entire tranny. But who knows maybe they got better info.

Good to know. I drop my MDX off for service next week, so I'll chat him up on the subject.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Good to know. I drop my MDX off for service next week, so I'll chat him up on the subject.
You could also ask if they are going to the 10AT for all next Gen V-6 Acuras (8DCT for 2.4L and 7DCT for sh-sh-awd). I hope Acura will not follow Honda and keep the 9AT for lower models like MDX base/tech or 3rd Gen RDX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Hey @neoshi, do you know the TSB number, or have the actual TSB? I head into Acura in two days and would love to have some supporting documents.

·
Registered
387 Posts
trans

From what I've been told in the past, ZF provides the transmission for Chrysler, Acura , Honda, and others, but it is up to the car manufacturer to create the operational software for it. Anyone else hear this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did I make a mistake?

I just traded in my 2008 Pilot with 163,000 miles this weekend for the CPO MDX because I was worried about the transmission possibly going out.

I admit that I did no research regarding the MDX, just drove it (many different vehicles as I was looking for the right deal) and was sold on the comfort, style and performance

Did I purchase myself a set of headaches with the new 9 speed tranny?:|

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just traded in my 2008 Pilot with 163,000 miles this weekend for the CPO MDX because I was worried about the transmission possibly going out.

I admit that I did no research regarding the MDX, just drove it (many different vehicles as I was looking for the right deal) and was sold on the comfort, style and performance

Dunno, but I'll trade you a 5-speed 2005 MDX for the Porsche... :wink:

·
Registered
870 Posts
From what I've been told in the past, ZF provides the transmission for Chrysler, Acura , Honda, and others, but it is up to the car manufacturer to create the operational software for it. Anyone else hear this?
I'm pretty sure Chrysler builds their 9-speed under license from ZF, but ZF builds the ones supplied to Honda/Acura. I'm not sure what software ZF supplies, but it certainly seems to be up to the car manufacturers to tweak it for their applications.

·
Registered
707 Posts

I've owned various Porsche's and a Mini Cooper, I'm gonna say no.... :)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
The Chrysler family manufacturers their own units under licensing from zf. Honda family gets it straight from zf. Software wise they collaborate to create it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, I spoke with the service department at my local dealer. Their opinion of the TSB related to the transmission warmer is: Should the ATF warmer fail on any of the vehicles covered by the TSB, any and all damage caused by that failure would be covered under the extended warranty - up to and including the transmission. If the failure was found to have been caused by anything else, and you are out the the standard warranty - the extended warranty will not cover it.

The other tidbit they offered is that the TSB mainly refers to 2016 model MDX vehicles. Only a small few 2017 models, made in the very earliest production runs were affected.

Here is the TSB I am referring to. Thanks @neoshi :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-026.PDF

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
That's interesting to hear, but I would still inquire with corporate to confirm the position. I've learned early on that anything a dealer says should be taken with a truckload of salt. And it's like you said: it's their opinion. The language does indeed read as just the warmer and not the entire transmission after all.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Alright, I spoke with the service department at my local dealer. Their opinion of the TSB related to the transmission warmer is: Should the ATF warmer fail on any of the vehicles covered by the TSB, any and all damage caused by that failure would be covered under the extended warranty - up to and including the transmission. If the failure was found to have been caused by anything else, and you are out the the standard warranty - the extended warranty will not cover it.

The other tidbit they offered is that the TSB mainly refers to 2016 model MDX vehicles. Only a small few 2017 models, made in the very earliest production runs were affected.

Here is the TSB I am referring to. Thanks @neoshi :

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-026.PDF
Do you have the TSB instructions for replacing the engine? Would love to read that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.