Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as an ol' Zaino pro, I decided to hunker down in cold Dallas today to try out Zaino's new ZFX polymer drying accelerant.

Surprise #1: You get this teeny, tiny bottle of the stuff. Fortunately you only use a few drops.

Surprise #2: You get 3 mixing bottles where you are supposed to put in say, 2 oz of Z2, 10 drops of ZFX and shake. Problem: the bottles are not graduated, so you don't have a clue how much is 1 or 2 oz. Solution: I used measuring cup, poured 2 oz of water in each and marked the line with a Sharpie. Sal, if you read this, consider supplying premeasured containers.

Surprise #3: The combination seems thicker to me than straight Z2 and went on thicker. Caution: be careful if you are used to Z2.....it's now easier to apply too much, and, as we all know, thinner is better with Zaino.

More later...
;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing My Review.....

Rule of thumb: 1 oz of Z2 or Z5 should cover your MDX.

Surprise #4: I waited the recommended 20 minutes, but it did not appear to be dry (did the finger test). The temp in my garage is 65 and I have a fan blowing inside.

So I waited another 10....it seemed to be dryer, but then again I am used to Zainoing in 85 degrees in Dallas.

Surprise #4: I buffed with my 100% cotton cloth...WOW, the combination of stuff came off like nothing was there.....in spite of my worries about applying too much too thick. Zip, Zip, I was done!! It seemed even easier to remove than straight Z2, and THAT was pretty easy.

:cool: :cool: :cool: And I got my typical Zaino shine.:D

On to coat #2 (keep in mind that I already had put on about 5 coats previously). Once again, Zip, Zip......this was even easier to apply the combination....smmmooooooooth.....even.......used less polish.

Waited 20 minutes this time....same easy removal....followed by Z6 and voila.....perfection!:D

Bottom line: Zaino does it again, proving it can come up with brilliant conceived concoctions that work, across their entire product line (that is unusual in itself). Usually a mfg has one or two standout products and the others are just average.

If you haven't gotten in on the group buy, now is the time......see Worm's thread in the detailing forum.

Good detailing to you all!:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I received my Zaino products yesterday. This is the first time for me. I was amazed at how tiny the vial for the ZFX stuff is. It is supposed to be enough to do 16 ounces of Z2, at up to 5 drops per ounce. Thats 80 drops total. The vial seems too small to hold 80 drops. It was also only half filled.

My son (14) helped me, as I had sprained my foot last Sunday washing my MDX (that is another story).

I did not do the clay thing. I had previously bought Magic Clay, which had not been used yet. Zaino recommended re washing the car after claying, and it took so long to dry the first time, I did not want to have to do it again (plus washing the car is hazardous to you health (see above).

I did a Z2 with ZFX, then Z6, then repeat. I was never really sure if I put on too much or little of the Z2. Parts dried to a haze, not all of it.

However, I was amazed at how shiny and slick the surface was when I completed. I am overall happy with the results. I just wished the ZFX had more to it. I also wish the group buy allowed for more free car wash product if you buy more. I bought nine items but still only received one free car wash product. I also bought the glass polish, leather cleaner and conditioners and wheel protector. The leather conditioner smells like real leather. I have not tried it yet.

Overall, I am happy with the results. During the process, I could even see the green in the granite green. Maybe the Zaino shine helps the green to show up.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ifeldman, trust me, the ZFX has a LOT to it, if you went through the old process of waiting 6 hours before you could apply the next coat. So, in spite of the small quantity, it does offer a huge amount of benefit.

Yes, IMO you should have gotten 2 freebies, not one with 9 purchases. I would call Sal at Zaino and ask if he would make good on this.

Enjoy the leather stuff....it is not greasy, imparts a slight shine to the leather and doesn't stain your clothes when you sit on it....just let it dry and absorb.

I continue to be impressed with Z16 tire gloss.....try it. After several applications take it to the car wash and notice how the water just beads and runs off the tires just like the metal parts. I'm impressed. It also is not greasy, and when applied with an applicator (never spray the stuff!) it goes on where it is supposed to and doesn't fly off an stain the wheels or bodywork.

You'll be an Zainaholic before you know it!

:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
ZFX surprise

I can't believe how little liquid is in the ZFX bottle! Mine is a little LESS than half full. This is supposed to last how long? I haven't tried out any of my Zaino stuff yet as I am waiting for my car to come back from the shop--minor fender bender on Jan. 18th.

They had to replace the radiator, hood, and some other stuff :(
I took my car to one of my insurance company's preferred auto body shops (they guarantee their work for as long as I own the car). I tried taking it to the dealership's preferred shop, but they were backlogged and it would've taken over 25 days for the same fix that this shop did in 15. Do you think this work has affected my warranty at all? I have the extended warranty from the dealership (7-yr, 100K mile).

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
octavian - thanks for the first review.

ifeldman - agreed on the freebies-per-purchase. I'm looking into gettin' something more (or different) next time around (late spring/early summer). A large # of people expressed similar sentiments re: the 1 free z7 for 4+ products rather than 1 free per 4 products. I know a couple of people emailed me and contemplated splitting their orders to do so, but the flat shipping fee ends up saving you only a buck or two. In any case, I hope Zaino will modify it for next time, even though I received a very-fast "no" when I asked this time around.

2plex -- The ZFX is (should be) enough to do 16oz worth of z2/3/5 as I recall. You just put in a few drops per ounce of polish. Instructions should be in there (I haven't rec'd mine yet). Keep in mind you don't need to use ZFX every time, either. Just the first time and every 6 months (if you're not using Z1), or if you want to do multiple coats at once, or if you need the quicker dry time due to cold or humidity.

BTW if you're using > 1 or 1.5oz of polish per coat, you're using too much!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worm, gee, I thought for sure it was buy 4 get 1 free, 8 and 2 etc. I only bought 4 so I got 1 freebie. I betcha Sal figures we would buy from him anyway, so why give away the store?

Yet I would be curious how many "newbies" he landed because of his promotion, and yours on the site! ;)

Anyway, 2plex, you read it here first...yes there is very little ZFX in the bottle. But you use very little, and as Worm astutely notes, you don't have to use it everytime.

I put 2 ZFX coats on (via Z2) early January. Kinda cold down heah in Texas. Yet this weekend I just slapped one coat of Z2 on...no ZFX. So your investment should last a long time.

To reiterate what Worm and I have mentioned on this thread....use no more than 1oz per coat. I did 2 ZFX coats with about 1.75oz of Z2. Even if you are like me, an 8oz bottle of Z2 should last a looooong time.

I saw a friend yesterday who I hadn't seen in about a year. Showed him my X....and he said "Wow. Looks great. When did you pick it up?" I told him, "Yesterday."

And he believed me! When I told him I relly have had it for 5 months and 5500 miles, he fell off his chair.

Nice compliment for my hard work, and a little bit of Zaino!

:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did get a chance to talk to Sal about my large order and only getting one free freebie, and he told me that his shipping charge is an average, so with my large order, he is actually paying more for shipping. Thats why its only one freebie even if you order 10 items. If I broken my order up into two, I would have gotten two freebies but paid for shipping twice. I still think it would have been a nice gesture to throw in another freebie and Im sure it would not have cost him much.

I do have a concern I did not ask about. I know we get a very small amount of ZFX. Mine was also about 1/2 full in a tiny bottle. My question is whether this stuff would ever evaporate over time. In other words, 6 months from now, will I still have as much in the bottle as I have now? I have the bottle tightly closed and also inside the bigger bottle it came in. Will this be enough to keep it from evaporating?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, I guess it could evaporate or dry out, but it IS stored in the eye drop bottle and then again in a larger bottle. Keep both tightly sealed and I don't think there will be a problem.

Yeah, I understand Sal's point on the shipping costs being larger for larger orders. He only charges a fixed rate, regardless of the quantity you order. He probably LOST money on my first order, heh heh heh.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Finally ZFX'd

Did ZFX w/z5 for the first time yesterday. 3 coats (z6 in between). Dry time ~ 20 min/coat. Not bad :) Easy on, easy off, as usual. Didn't notice a significant increase in thickness w/the z5, which tends to be thicker than z2 anyway.

FWIW I got 3 coats outta an ounce of z5. Even had a little left over (tho I only did the roof once).

Thumbs up from me - I like the multiple coats in a day! Lexus (also black) gets it next. Unfortunately, the Lexus is in dire need of claybar and I've been procrastinating.

Loaned the digicam to a buddy, so no pics :( Rain in the forecast for tomorrow, of course!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey O, W, i & 2,

Thanks for the review! Can you explain to me why I would want ZFX if I have Z2,5,6 and live in the (warm) sacramento area? Is it just for the ability to apply multiple coats at once, and quick drying time?

Thanks,
Rob :cool:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Worm, good for you, you procrastinator, you!:D What was the temp at the time of application?

Rob, you got it.....even tho you live in warm Sac, the ZFX speeds up the recommended drying time significantly, so you, like Worm just showed us, apply multiple coats in a very short timeframe.

So it not only speeds the drying time of each coat, but allows you to slap on another coat within minutes vs. waiting hours for the Z2 or Z5 to "cure".

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
'twas about 65 outside. Garage closer to 60. Fairly low humidity but lousy ventilation in the garage, unfortunately. I'll probably do an extra drop of ZFX next time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Robyjo
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing