Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to make my first Zaino order and have been reading many of the threads from you all who have used this. The drying time seems to be a big issue.

I'm trying to decide if I should get ZFX instead of Z-1. My belief is that it cuts the drying time to almost nothing.

Has anyone tried it yet (I know its new)? If not, is my understanding correct?:confused:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
ZFX significantly reduces drying time and allows multiple coats (aka layering) @ once

Reviews on ls1.com and corvetteforum.com have been positive. I don't believe there are any reviews here (yet).
  • If you are in a cold climate (<60 degrees) and want to Zaino, get it instead of z1.
  • If you are in a humid climate, get it instead of z1.
  • If you want the cRaZy shine w/multiple coats in a day (rather than waiting 8 hrs between coats), get it instead of z1.
If I were in a warm, dry climate (e.g. Arizona) then I'd probably pass, as the other polishes (e.g. z2/z5) will dry really quick anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worm - Thanks for your well thought out advice. I'm assuming that the ZFX will last a long time like the Z-1 so even though it is double the price, over time that is not significant. I guess if price were the issue, I'd be turtle waxing!

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
According to Zaino, there's enough ZFX to accomodate about 16 oz of polish (that you want to "accelerate").

Remember that you don't have to use ZFX every time -- only if you want/need quicker drytime (in cold or humid places...else the non-zfx way just takes 30 mins anyway) or if you want to do multiple coats all at once.

I would imagine that I'll use the ZFX occassionally on those days when I want to do multiple coats -- maybe 1x every couple of months (and in between I'll just do a single coat, sans ZFX). At that rate, it'll prolly last a year-and-a-half for both cars (?).

Here are a couple of comments from users on ls1.com:
You should get 12 to 16 ozs. of treatment from the bottle of ZFX, that equals about 2 bottles of polish.

For me that is between 16-20 applications, for my son who is really good at applying it thin it is at least 32 applications.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worm - Thanks again for your help. One more question before I order. I am assuming the X has a clear coat over the painted finish, is that true? Also (OK 2 more questions) I have a 1990 Honda Accord that I thought I would do at the same time. I'm not sure if it has a clear coat or not. Is there an easy way to determine or if I use a clear coat polich on a 12 y/o car without a clear coat finish, would it make that much difference? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yes, MDX is clearcoat (all colors) - z2

Quick test for the other Honda (btw, if it's a metallic paint then it's likely clearcoat, too):

To find out, just put a little mild abrasive polish (toothpaste works) on a cotton cloth and rub a small spot on the finish (door jamb is a good hidden spot). If you see residue on the rag that is the color of your vehicle's finish, you do not have a clear coat. Clean the test spot w/water and soap first, else you'll just end up with dirt on the rag.

In all honesty, it makes little difference btw z2 and z3. You won't hurt anything by using z2 on a non-clearcoated car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really...?

I've read on the 'zainobros.com' website that ZFX can completely substitute for Z-1. Does the ZFX lay down the same foundation on the clearcoat as does the Z-1? Z-1 previously was a must for application, then they come out with this tiny bottle that is supposed to be a replacement. Can anyone confirm?

Would it be wise to place Z-1 first to make sure those molecularly cross-linked polymers are optimally perfect (just kiddin'):D :D . I'd hate to place the ZFX only to find out that I could have spent more money by purchasing both for an equivalent result (again, I am not serious):rolleyes: .

Has anyone done both?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a new Zaino user and went right to the ZFX the first time out of the shoot (have never used Z-1). Everything seemed to work very well. I was impressed with the results, easy of use, drying time, and long lasting shine. Surprisingly enough, my favorite outcome was on the wheels. Not only do they look like the have been dipped in glass, but brake dust all but doesn't stick to them!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Really...?

jskibi said:
I've read on the 'zainobros.com' website that ZFX can completely substitute for Z-1. Does the ZFX lay down the same foundation on the clearcoat as does the Z-1? Z-1 previously was a must for application, then they come out with this tiny bottle that is supposed to be a replacement. Can anyone confirm?
That is correct.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many WASH?

How many wash can I do before Z5ing my car again? Can I Z6 in place of Z5? I guess I'll direct this to you Mr Worm.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
z6 is a "quick detailer" for between "waxings". Use it after every wash and between coats of z2/5 if you're doing multiple coats. It is NOT a substitute for z2/5; it is a companion product.

The z2/5 should last a few months. If the shine isn't as good as you'd like, or if water no longer beads well after rain/wash, then reapply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts