Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
aright im from the tristate area and the weather is starting to get pretty damn cold. (in the low 40s to upper 30s F)

anyway.. my 2003 mdx is coming in a week and I was wondering if I should a coat of zaino on it... (I read somewhere that you could last all winter with a single coat?)

is it better off waxing ur brad new car with zaino before the winter hits?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
nyc said:
aright im from the tristate area and the weather is starting to get pretty damn cold. (in the low 40s to upper 30s F)

anyway.. my 2003 mdx is coming in a week and I was wondering if I should a coat of zaino on it... (I read somewhere that you could last all winter with a single coat?)

is it better off waxing ur brad new car with zaino before the winter hits?
Before applying any polish you should clay bar the finish to remove any residue from transportation, overspray, etc.
Wash it thoroughly with a liquid dish detergent like Dawn, and now you are ready for Zaino or Brand X.
Using ZFX you can accelerate the drying time of layers under cooler conditions, but I would do this in your garage, or on a moderately warm day, not outside in the 50's or below.
I would build up a few (3 or 4) coats before waiting until the spring.
Do searches here under Zaino, and allow plenty of time to read them.
Yes, you can do it on a brand new X.
I don't think the first year will make a big difference if you did wait until Spring, as long as you kept the finish as clean as practical. But it would be beneficial to have that initial protection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I zaino my brand new X in the low 40's degree, but I have a garage. Washing with dawn, clay bar then zaino. Dry with a 5HP shop vac then drove into garage and turn on the little space heater. Using ZFX it dried after 20 minutes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
nyc -

I also Zaino'd 2 weeks ago using the Dawn, Claybar, and then Z5/ZFX for swirl marks on my wife's 98 Pontiac. Worked well. It was cold outside - probably high 30s/low 40s and did just fine in the garage. Just like purdue1 said - dried in 20 minutes.

Since the dealer probably waxed the car before they delivered it to you, you should use the Dawn and Claybar to get rid of wax and other contaminants before using the Zaino.

Good Luck - You will be very happy with this product IMHO.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Triple7 said:

.... you should use the Dawn and Claybar to get rid of wax and other contaminants before using the Zaino.

Good Luck - You will be very happy with this product IMHO.
Claybar on my brand new MDX was not necessary.

Many on this site recommended claybar even on a new vehicle. The distributor selling me Zaino said it would probably not be necessary. I purchased claybar anyway because of posts on this site. When I attempted to use the clay on my 2 day old X it was not pulling anything off the vehicle. I tried a test area on my wife's older car and the clay was pulling off all kinds of stuff.

IMHO I would recommend getting the clay, you will need it eventually, but it may not do anything for your new X.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After Zainoing my X when it was brand new I noticed that the left rear quarter panel had a "rough" feel when removing the Zaino. I used the clay bar on that panel and it removed the spots of roughness. I didn't need it on the rest of the car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fwiw, upon delivery I had a lot of that sticky residue on the door panels from the protective plastic sheets they cover the car with during transport. Apparently, the dealership 'detailing' didn't clean it off. Claybar gets rid of it no problem.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks!!!!

;]

aright, I might be annoying but...
what should I exactly order from zainobros.com ? ZFX, Z5, claybar..... what else.?

Im expecting my 2003 touring w/ navi - black/black in 2 weeks... :D gonna wax it the first weekend....

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
mdx02 said:

What, are you the thread subject police?
Relax. The reason we have seperate forums is so that it's easier to check out responses in that particular subject matter.

I agreed with zafer, so I just moved the thread. Easily done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
what zaino to buy

nyc,
In addition, you should get Z6, Z7 and may be Z2 since your X is brand new there's shouldn't be swirl marks on it (don't let your dealer wash & wax it). You can alternate between Z5 & Z2. I agree with other listers that you definately get the claybar. My brand new X was still a liitle rough after the Dawn wash and the claybar took care of it. Have fun and get some Aleeve too, you're going to be sore after 6 hours (3 washes, 2 coats of Z2/Z5 & 2 coats of Z6) of wax on & wax off.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
I also have another zaino question. When you apply zaino does it cure while on the paint or do you have to wipe it of and then it starts curing?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ace3 said:
I also have another zaino question. When you apply zaino does it cure while on the paint or do you have to wipe it of and then it starts curing?
If you are equating 'curing'with drying (I don't think you are) you would wipe it off after drying.
Maybe someone knows if some chemical reaction (bonding?) is still going on after it 'drys' and for some finite time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
apply Z6 at the end of every coat

Z6 just gives a 3 dimension look to the car.
now when ever i wash i use the Z7 the car wash and then just apply Z6 and wipe it.
it looks way better.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It takes 8-24hrs for it to cure ONCE YOU'VE WIPED IT OFF, unless you're using ZFX.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Finally got to putting my first coat of Zaino on. Pretty easy. Took longer to read the how-to's on this site.Thanks for all the help guys. A little does go quite a long way with this stuff. I have the ZFX and IMHO is worth its wait in Gold. It was a nice cool day today, no humidity, the stuff cured in 1/2 hour. Only one mishap along the way.UH.....I leave my headlights on all the time and I had my keys in the ignition on acc to listen to radio(I didn't realize they were on in the sun and no ringy dingy cause the door was closed). I forgot to shut my X off when I went inside to let cure.(And rest arm). I came out to a clicking noise. The doors were locked and solenoids were trying to do something but no juice.WHAT!!!!!The friggen battery died in 2 hours.Needed to get extra set of keys to get in and pull the Jeep around for a boost.My wife laughed her butt off. She snapped a picture of the little Jeep boosting the "bus" as she refers to it. Have to admit that Zaino comes off easier then any wax I have dealt with. Damn near fell over once while reaching and wiping off wax. This stuff is slippery. Took the advice of others and "sat" and waxed the rims. I hate brake dust.All in all the process took 3 hours start to finish. Gonna Z6 it tomorrow. Jeep is next. Kinda owe it to the thing since it saved me calling the Acura roadside assistance in my driveway.:rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts