Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quoted by a Zaino distributor in Corvetteforum

"New Z-5 has been out about 2 months now, it is an orange color, it shines better than the "old" Z-5 and protects better"

I wonder if the shine from the new Z5 will be equal to that from Z2 or not.

Worm, can you check this out with Zainobros.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Just received Zaino last week and the Z5 is in a different shaped bottle than Z1 or Z2. Does that mean it is the "new Z5"?

I also recall a post by someone that stated they liked the shine better on Black with Z5 rather than Z2. Is that a popular opinion?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The z5 bottle always has been a different shape than z1/2/3. It's black and looks quite professional -- like 3M products. The z1/2/3 bottles look more like "homemade" packaging and are clear or just slightly opaque.

I haven't heard/read about a new formulation but I've seen occasional mention of reformulated products (without announcement) in the spirit of continuous improvement. I tried a search on a couple of zaino-intensive sites re: z5, but the software won't allow searches for stuff with < 3 letters :)

The "original" z5 is white. What color is yours? BTW, distributors frequently get improved (or new) products for testing well before they're mass-produced and released.

Finally, I think I'm one of the main proponents of z5 on black (instead of z2). Deeper/wetter and a "purer" black shine. z2 gives a muddy look on the Acura black...kinda like the outgassing film you get on the interior glass (not a z2 film, just looks kinda like it -- sort of a grayish hue). I tried z2 (again) for a second time a few months ago just to reconfirm my earlier impressions from over a year ago...and immediately switched back to a z5-exclusive regimen...

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"The "original" z5 is white. What color is yours? BTW, distributors frequently get improved (or new) products for testing well before they're mass-produced and released"

FYI, the Z5 that I have been using for the past two months is a light orange color. It still is packed in the black bottle.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Just asked Sal Zaino.

Yes, z5 has been reformulated. "Higher gloss factor". It is a different color -- slightly orange. Sounds like Maik's got it :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup - new stuff is up here in Canada also.

Sometimes, these improvements are just incorporated into products - and not "broadcasted".

:cool:

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yup, I have had the new formula for several weeks now.

I noticed the color change and smell too. Funny, I thought the original Z5 I had was old or the Texas heat got to it, never thinking the new stuff was reformulated.....since no publicity was given.

Like the Wormster, I am sold on Z5 on black.

As far as whether the new Z5 has a higher gloss than the old Z5, I have not noticed any demonstrable difference, but, then again, my X was already pretty glossy.:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was the opposite . .. at the time of my discovery, i was filling up a mix bottle for some zfx 'ing . . used the last of my z5, went and grabbed another from stock - poured it in - and immediately thought "Damn, something wrong here! " I should have remembered . . .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Well, which of you characters is gonna offer me a sample so I can do an official test ;)

I've got 3.5 bottles of the "old stuff" :(

·
Registered
128 Posts
i would in a heartbeat my friend . . .

but alas . . . you are out of my trading territory, and the penalty for breeching that territory is having to use turtle wax for one month (that means at least 4 applications to get a month out of it) :D :2:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I can't see how Z-5 can be more "glossy" - since I only have 4 coats of Z-5 on my "X" and it looks pretty darn good :cool: I am sticking with what works!! :2:

·
Registered
715 Posts
OK, did a comparison with old Z5 and new Z5.

The new Z5 smells better (a bit less solventy), is more orangy in color and is much less viscous than the old Z5, which means it is easier to apply and spread.

Drying time seems to be about the same. Did not ZFX accelerate it, due to the temp being in the 90's here.

As far as gloss is concerned, I simply cannot tell the difference....keep in mind that I am up to about 20 coats of Z, so incrementally one coat of the new stuff ain't gonna mean much.

BTW, the GuruReports evaluation of Zaino used Z2/Z1 and Z6 over an 8 week trial period. It was the only one wax/syn whose performance did not deteriorate after being affected by snow and ice.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I must amend my statement above.....I have noticed a significant increase in drying times for both the new Z5 and Z5/ZFX combo.

After yesterday's buffing, I saw some streaking which never has happened since the first time I put on Zaino last year. Hmmm, I thought, maybe I did not wait long enuff this time.

However this AM, to celebrate Father's Day, I put on another coat of Z5, this time primed with ZFX. 90 minutes later, the stuff still does not pass my "finger" test. :(

I have NEVER had to wait this long before.....temp is about 85 in my garage with a large fan blowing as well.

In checking Autopia, there were other posts about this phenomenon as well. With old Z5, I was always ready to buff no later than 30 minutes after application.

Anyway, would be curious to see if others share this protraction in drying times.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
octavian said:

After yesterday's buffing, I saw some streaking which never has happened since the first time I put on Zaino last year.

I have had the same problem (streaking) and have the new Z5. Just received it and have no experience with the old Z5 so I can't compare the two.

Per "worm" I have easily removed the streaking by wiping with a slightly damp towel. Actually I used a spray bottle with distilled water and sprayed directly on the X and wiped with a towel, like using Z6. Reminds me of the old "shoe spit shine" days in the military.

Worm said I was probably applying too much Z, and would get better results with less. I used slightly less than 1 oz the last time I applied Z5, will try to use about 1/3 oz next time.

·
Registered
715 Posts
eagle, no, I thought of most everything, including quantity applied. I put on roughly .75 oz, which is a normal amount for me.

something else is at work here.....wormster, don't throw away your old Z5 yet!;)

well, I am done now.....Z6ed it and I am tired.....now I will go enjoy my Father's Day......hmmm, I wonder which one of my kids will futher ingratiate themselves with me by bringing me my slippers and a nice cool glass of orange juice?:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Thanks, Worm, for the reference. Verrrrrrry interesting. I'll try it again in a few weeks and report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did not realize that Z2 have also been reformulated. Here are couple of quotes from Autopia forum:

"The new Z2 has been out for a while now, the newer Z5 formula began shipping this Spring. The Z2 is now pinker than before and the Z5 is almost orange or tan, compared to the previous cream color. As far as results go, well, I've used Z for a few years and I can tell a difference between formulas, but it is very slight. The newer Z5 applies easier than before and has a fantastic shine, more similar to the older Z2. On the other hand, the new Z2 seems to really bump up the gloss when used in multiple coats, i.e. with ZFX. If you're still using the older formulas, don't worry, the changes are so slight, most wouldn't even notice, other than the change in color. The durability and gloss does seem to last even longer, if that's possible, but it's hard to tell really. Just use up your current supply, then look forward to ordering the "newer" stuff. I've still got both versions, and regardless of which you use, you in for a fantastic shine with unsurpassed protection! "

"I've heard that the new Z5 tends to darken the paint color a little more which gives it more of a "carnuba" (warm) look. Have you found that to be true?"

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Z2 and new Z5 comparison.

This weekend I put 2 more coats of Zaino on my X. (5 total now).

Because I have had problems with Z5 smearing I did a test comparing Z2 to the new Z5.

Put one coat of Z2, about 1/2 oz, on Saturday afternoon. I purchased some foam applicators and it was easier to apply a very light coat with them than the cotton applicators I have previously used. Sprayed a light film of Z6 occasionally on the applicator to help application. It dried in less than 1/2 hour although I waited 2 hours before buffing off. No smearing noticed.

Today I applied a coat of the new Z5, using less than 1/2 oz. It was about 15 hours since I applied the Z2. Waited about 4 hours (temp in garage was 85+) and buffed off. It seemed like the Z2 was slightly easier to remove than the Z5. I also still had a smearing problem with the Z5 although not as bad as the last time I applied it. (applied about 1 oz last time)

With the Z2 I did a test on one section of the X and applied it a lot thicker. That section buffed off with no extra effort and no smearing.

Something is wrong with the new Z5 and although the old Z5 may be better on Black I'm going to stick with the Z2 for now.

One additional comment. The bugs from my trip to California sure were easy to remove from my Zainoed MDX. Hope the Oregon bugs are the same.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Z2 and new Z5 comparison.

BaldEagle said:
Something is wrong with the new Z5 and although the old Z5 may be better on Black I'm going to stick with the Z2 for now.
Thanks for the update. The mystery continues, I guess. I'd be sticking w/the z2, too, since that's not smearing. I'd also suggest either calling Sal himself (his # is on their website) or if you bought from a local distributor, call him/her.

Maybe Homer can chime in here w/his experience w/the new z5 on Honda/Acura paints...:confused:

I have such a stockpile of the "old" z5 that I'm gonna be of little help w/this one. I will mention as an aside (based on our earlier conversations re: zfx and dry time) that I did 3 coats of z5/zfx on the Lexus today; it dried in 10 minutes and came off easy w/o smears. Pretty much the opposite of zfx/z5 on the MDX. Gonna give the X another whirl in the next week to see what happens. Might add 1 xtra drop of ZFX while I'm at it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts