Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Zaino. I understand that you can use Z2 on your rims and headlights. Do you have to apply Z1 first?
Also has anybody used the Z-16 Tire gloss on the dash. I am currently using STP Son of a Gun on my old car and seems to work well. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
715 Posts
camp, yeah, I would put Z1 on everything Z2 is gonna touch, including the rims and outside plasticwork. Same bonding principles apply.

Regarding Z10 on your dash....eeeewwww! No, I wouldn't go there. It is NOT recommended for vinyl seats or tops, and the same thing extends to your dash.

However, Z9 (leather cleaner) works great on leather and all interior vinyl. Try this instead!:D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
check there website for details

there website has specific directions on all applications.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When to ClayBar?????

I Zaino'd my X, when it was only a few days old, and I have
now recommended Zaino to my brother. His car is about
6 months old. Should he ClayBar his car, before applying
all the other steps. I know there have been a few who have
used the ClayBar on their new vehicles who will say most
definitely one should ClayBar a car 6 months old.
I would like to hear from those who have NOT used
ClayBar on their older new cars and what was your results.

Thanks.. Hokie

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey Hokie,

You probably could've guessed this answer--it depends. More important than the age of the vehicle is the condition of its paint. The clay bar essentially removes surface contaminants that you wouldn't be able to remove with simple washing. Wash the car, and run your hand over the front hood/bumper/etc. and see if you feel imperfections--surface contaminants. Realistically, even a young car will have some of these imperfections which the clay bar will take right out. So it doesn't hurt to Clay Bar before applying Zaino.

My wife drives a 98 Audi, but the car is mostly garaged, at work and at home, and I didn't feel I needed to clay bar before Zainoing. This car has multiple layers of Meguiar's Gold Class system on it, and the surface contaminants were negligible. Zaino looks GREAT on the Audi now...

Hope that helps,
Rob :cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
i have used the Z16 rubber/vinyl on some interior plastics.
never on the leather components though . ..

it is a slightly damp cloth though - NOT wet.

ive been happy with the results - but then again, im talking door parts, pillar trim etc . .

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks Robyjo..

For sharing your opinion on the subject of
ClayBar. I am planning on ordering the Zaino leather products,
so guess I will add a little ClayBar to the order. I have been
a loyal Lexol user, but guess the raves about the Zaino leather
products have piqued my interest.

By the way, I also have a 98 Audi and use Meguiars Gold on
it. It is silver and looks great with Meguiars, but am thinking
about using the Zaino products on it. The Audi, for sure, is much
easier to polish and keep clean. It is a great ride...

·
Registered
747 Posts
That's hilarious Hokie! We may have the same cars...we have an A4 Avant, Silver...and you're exactly right, it's much easier to wash and wax. On the other hand, there's such a sense of accomplishment when you finish a few coats on the MDX and see it shine like no other...

Are you going to strip the Meguiars off the Audi before applying Zaino?

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Robyjo,

Homer2 is right, I do plan to strip the Meguiars.
When I get ready to do the Zaino, I am going to wash the
car with Dawn and use the Claybar. I am assuming this will
get rid of the old wax....

We are close in cars, mine is a 1.8T A4. The Avant looks
great though! Maybe we have the same miles on them ;)

Prior to the MDX, my wife drove our Grand Cherokee
to work, but I have better parking, so now my wife
drives the A4. I enjoy the MDX very much, but I miss
driving the A4 on a regular basis.

·
Registered
128 Posts
VA Tech Hokie said:
I am going to wash the
car with Dawn and use the Claybar. I am assuming this will
get rid of the old wax....

yup - that'll do it just fine - no wax should be able to survive a good Dawn wash and then a claybar . . . :cool:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Instead of starting yet another thread with the subject, "Zaino Questions", I thought I'd add my question to this thread.

Is there a particular Zaino product I can use on the "wood" parts of the dash, especially around the shifter? Would Z6 work okay?

Jon

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jon, I have used both my interior window cleaner around the shifter and tried Z6 as well, even on the Nav display.

I prefer the window cleaner and keep Z6 confined to the outside of my vehicle, though I did notice a lessening of fingerprints on the Nav with Z6.

The problem is that Z6, used inside your vehicle, may end up in places that you will not notice until later and you may spend more time trying to "buff" it out (and remove streaks) than you would if you simply used a window, or interior cleaner that is streak free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Put Z-16 tire gloss and used it on the dash and it looks and feels great. (not greasy) Big bonus is that it doesn't attract dust like some of the other products. Also works great on mudflaps.

Another neat product for cleaning stainless steel muffler tips is a product called Autosol. (metal polish) Works great.

Z-1 and Z-2'ed my rims. Not completely happy. Any other products out there that work well for rims?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oooooh, no, Jon, Z12 contrains abrasives....don't use that on plastic. And while Z14 can be used for vinyl, it is not to be used on plastic....soooooooooo, I use Stoner's Invisible Glass inside.....does everything I need very well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts