Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I finally take delivery of my black/saddle MDX! Thanks to everyone on this forum for all their advice and opinions as I went through the comparison/buying/waiting process.

So many people on this site are raving about Zaino, so I figured I should treat the new car right and stock up on the stuff. I've searched the forum and read many, many posts on how to use it, but there doesn't seem to be any one post or thread that really explains what I need and how I do it. There are so many products -- ZFX, Z1, Z2, Z5, the clay bar... Do I need one of those orbital buffers? Special sponges? Anything other than clean cotton towels? :(

It would be a great help to me, and presumably to other newbies out there, if someone could post a simple guide to using Zaino. (Which products to buy, what order to use them in, when to reapply, etc.) I'm so excited to get the car, and I want to make sure it stays looking great. And again, thanks for this awesome forum!

·
Registered
715 Posts
jon, I hear ya.....the good news is that everything you want to know about Zaino is on this site. The bad news is that it is all over the place.

very quickly, as I am running into a meeting at work,;)

1. go to www.zainobros.com and look up product info. you will find most of your answers and directions (order to apply, etc) here.

2. minimum purchase: Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7, Applicator (provide your own Dawn)

3. recommended add-ons: Z9/10 (leather stuff), Z16 (tire gloss) and ZFX (for your Z2...quickens cure time substantially)
and Z18 (clay bar).

4. mandatory requirement: polarized sunglasses to view your work of art!

:D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
There is a "sticky" Zaino Tips & Tricks thread at the top of the detailing forum. You might also check out the latest Group Purchase thread ("Group Buy is On" or something like that) which has "getting started" suggestions.

Orbital and foam issues aren't in those, but the answer's "no" to both. 100% USA Cotton towels. I get mine @ the Fieldcrest Outlet online.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Go to Discount Dept. store/s

Got my Fieldcrest from one of those discount dept. Store. In our case in NY, I got it from Marshall's Discount Store and got the Royal Velvet ones. I think I paid 5.99 or 6.99 for the biggest ones and 4.99 for the hand towels. You might want to consider getting Z5 also since you'll be getting a black "X".

·
Registered
87 Posts
octavian said:

1. go to www.zainobros.com and look up product info. you will find most of your answers and directions (order to apply, etc) here.

2. minimum purchase: Z1, Z2, Z6, Z7, Applicator (provide your own Dawn)

3. recommended add-ons: Z9/10 (leather stuff), Z16 (tire gloss) and ZFX (for your Z2...quickens cure time substantially)
and Z18 (clay bar).

I'm getting my initial order together, and I'm confused about Z1 vs. ZFX. The Zaino site says this:
"ZFX™ can be used with any of our Show Car Polish products, including Z-2, Z-3 and Z-5. Plus, ZFX™ makes using Z-1 PreLok unnecessary on cars that have been clayed and thoroughly cleaned with Dawn dishwashing liquid."
Does that mean that the first time you apply Z-2, you can skip the Z-1 step, if you are using ZFX? If so, then why is Z-1 in the 'minimum purchase'. If ZFX speeds curing and replaces Z-1, I will just get it.
- Conrad

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
You are correct in that you dont need the Z-1 if you use the ZFX. I bought pretty much 1 of each, minus the Z-1. My MDX is Granite Green, and it came out great with the Zaino products. I also bought the leather care products, which work real well and smell just like leather.

Just as a warning, the ZFX will come in the tinyest size bottle that will appear half full. Considering its cost, you will think it is liquid gold, but it performs as advertised and is a definite buy in my mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zaino is Great Stuff

I picked up my MDX a month ago and Zaino it two weeks ago. Since it new and the dealer doesn't use buffing machines, I didn't get Z5, no swirl marks. I just washed with dawn, then clay barred it and washed the Mdx again. Definitly use the clay bar. I was amazed at how much stuff the clay bar pulled from the paint. Just follow the directions that come with the Zaino. After drying the vehicle, I used Z2 with ZFX (no Z1), let it dry, buff, mist with Z6 and dry. Then did it again the same day, another coat of Z2 with ZFX, buff, Z6. It came out great looking! I didn't think 1 oz of Z2 would really do the whole MDX, but it does. It's really easy to put on (remember thin coat) and easy to buff off.

The best and easiest wax er I mean polymer I have ever used and you'll know your paint is protected!! I wouldn't have known about Zaino without this site. It's the best.

Happy MDXing!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help.

Appreciate the help, all who have responded. I'm putting my Zaino order together and had one question about towels. The guy who runs the LA Zaino store (www.lazaino.com) has this to say on his website:

"If you’re in need of towels and don’t want the hassle of trying to find the right ones, remember we sell white Fieldcrest Chrisma towels with all of the preparation already done. We remove the seams, labels, selvedges and decoration and bind the edges with 100% cotton thread. We offer them in 14” x 19” or 29” x 19” sizes, $4.50 for the small size and $9.00 for the large size."

Is this total overkill? Do I really need to worry about the edges of the towels? Can't I just fold them over, or is that a pain?

·
Registered
715 Posts
jon, go to the link below for deals on Fieldcrest. 22x77 towels for $5.49. Take off your own labels. Wash. Use. Done.

You can send me the change. :)

Fieldcrest/Cannon Towels: Outlet Sale!
Another great sale happening for irregulars at the Fieldcrest/Cannon outlet.

Free shipping deals and discount deals!

These are great towels for detailing. Get the Fieldcrest Royal Velvets or the Charismas in white.

Shipping to continental US addresses is free for orders over $50.

Link: http://www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com

:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
simply removing the tag is not the complete "I'm anal about my towels step".

the banding at the ends - as well as the thread in the edge is cause for some poople ot be concerned.

yes, you can be very conscious of the folds in your towels when using them - and "shouldnt" have a problem. but, you never know.

cheers

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am no expert but this really sounds like overkill. But like most overkill I guess it can't hurt.
Been to lots of concourse shows and watched many owners of classics treating their babies with cut up ordinary white terry cloth towels, banding intact. This is on hand painted finishes with some 20 coats of laquer, not robot painted production cars.

For a 'street vehicle', I tend to believe the pollution, bugs, the sun, acid rain, and all the crap blown up against the car at freeway speeds is doing a lot more damage than the banded edges of terry cloth towels rubbed over a polished surface by the hand of a cautious owner.

·
Registered
128 Posts
yup - you are right. for simply dusting or wiping down - the banding isnt likely to cause a problem.

the thread , if polyester , however can cause microswirlling.

the banding removal is better if the towels will be used for washing or drying - since that area of the towel has no "pull away" area on it for contaminants . . .

also - im certain many of those concourse cars receive professional treatments - so even if the owner micro-swirls it - they;ll be taking care of it for him later. Yes, it will hurt in the judging - but as you said - its all about "it cant hurt" if you cut them.

i havent bothered with my towels - but next new car (if its black again) will have that no polyester thread or banding - right from the start.

·
Registered
128 Posts
maybe there is a thesis in the making . . .

black cars = crazy
white cars = lazy
red cars = look at me

etc

etc

·
Registered
7 Posts
100% Cotton Towels

Took delivery of my Black MDX last weekend and am planning a full weekend of cleaning and detailing with Zaino products.

One question:

I purchased the Fieldcrest 100% cotton towels and my understanding is they should be used when removing Z2 and Z5. Should they also be used when cleaning the car with Z7? If not what should be used?

·
Registered
715 Posts
rs...you will have a hell of a time removing Z7 (car wash fluid) with cotton or even wool towels. :D I think you mean Z6. Yes, clean cotton towels will work just fine with Z6.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
LOL. I read the question as "do I wash (and presumably, dry) the car w/the Fieldcrests too?" In which case the answer is "yes".

·
Registered
128 Posts
i also read it as "do i wash with towels"?

and agree with worm . . . those towels are a great way to wash - id just cut them down to something more easily handles than a bath towel. or buy the smaller ones for the washing job.

its always funny around my house -
I have more and better towels for my cars than we use on our bodies . . . ok, I think its funny, my wife doesnt :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
11 Participants
Only_Acura
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing