Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You fellow X's. What was the very first vehicle you purchased. I mean purchased, not leased or recieved as a gift from Mommy and Daddy like in that sickening Lexus comercial where they hand the keys to a brand new Lexus to a teenager.

My first was a Citation 2dr sedan.

·
Registered
443 Posts
85 Plymouth Horizon. Bought in 93. $500 cash. My first paycheck in USA for 3 weeks of work. I thought it was a beast - lots of power!

I was surprised that you have to hold the blinker to make a turn - it wouldn't hold itself. Hey, but it had a stereo, so I would listen to Dire Straits and drive around in Altadena at night with windows open...

Had a little problem. Engine was overheating all the time, so it was vaporizing the water from radiator. So, I had to carry a couple gallons of water in the trunk. Good thing it was winter - I had to stop only every 40 min, wait till it cools down and fill it up with water.

Lasted about 7 days or so. Head cover gasket blew - I saw the blue smoke coming from the exhaust! :)

I liked that car a lot though. Too bad it had to go... :) And, it was back to the bus...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
1980 Toyota Supra

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
1949 Dodge with a "transglide" transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A 1947 Chevrolet Stylemaster that I bought from my best friend's dad for $65. It was a two-door sedan, Scout Brown on top and Sport Beige below.

The car had languished, undriven, in a garage for years and had four flat tires, a tank of fuel that smelled like paint remover, leaky lever-action shocks that were completely devoid of fluid and a stuck exhaust valve that promptly burned when we got it running.

It turned out to have a ravenous appetite, guzzling a quart of the heaviest-weight cheap oil every 200 miles, and swilling the $.329/gal Super Par gas that was its regular diet at the rate of 13 mpg. It had a sterling virtue that transcended all of its faults, however: It was rust-free, remarkable in Michigan for an elderly car. I drove it six years and it taught me how to be a reasonably accomplished mechanic.

I earned my undergrad degree and dated my wife-to-be driving the Chevy, and she and I both shed a tear when it came time to leave it .

-Karl

P.S.: Tried including a picture - couldn't find instructions or figure out how to.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___The first car … a brand new 1983 Gray - Chevrolet Chevette - 2 Dr. Hatchback w/out a single option. I had exactly 0 problems in its 60K miles of ownership! The attached pic is a similar looking vehicle I found on a Chevette enthusiasts web site. What handling, what performance, what … Well, it did get above 30 mpg anyway ;) I should tell you about a trip across Iowa one night when it was 10 below. Oh boy was it cold inside that car!

___Enjoy

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
buhmabee said:
.......not leased or recieved as a gift from Mommy and Daddy like in that sickening Lexus comercial where they hand the keys to a brand new Lexus to a teenager.
Glad I'm not the only one who hates that commercial.. :16:

Brand new 96 Nissan Sentra GXE during my second year of grad school. A decent ride, but there were a few unexplained instances where the dash board lights would completely black out for a few minutes. :eek: Nissan never figured out what was going on. I ditched it six months after graduation for an Integra. Been devoted to Acura ever since! :2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Brand new 90 Toyota Celica GT. Worked many nights at Subways ($4.25/hr) while in highschool and had enough money for a down payment by the time I left for UCLA and paid her off by the time I graduated. Thing is.....I'm still driving her and can't bear leaving her. Never had any problems and to date she has 195,824 miles with original transmission and engine and still running strong, though she's lost some HP along the way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1970 Dodge Dart: indestructible slant 6, turquoise blue with white vinyl top, black fur interior and 4 different tires on wire wheels. Got it with 168,000 and SOLD it with 218,000 :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
1982 Toyota Celica (new), no air, pleather seats but great stereo. All my life savings and a very small inheritance from granddaddy. I think his portion may have covered the insurance for that year. Since I was a senior in HS I was a big hit for a while. Unfortunately, 3 months later accident to front end ($2,500 damage). Boy did I cry!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
1979 Newport(New Yorker)

·
Registered
391 Posts
1979 Pontiac Grand Prix (used)
1984 Buick Skyhawk T-Type turbo
1985 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
1987 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
1989 Olds Toranado Trofeo
1989 GMC Jimmy
1991 Legend L
1993 Cadillac STS
1994 Corvette
1997 Lexus ES 300
1999 Lexus RX 300
2003 Acura MDX

Looking back, I could have skipped several of these and ended up with a bigger savings account.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A nine month old dark blue (white interior) '65 Mustang with a 289 V-8 and manual 4-speed; cost $2,000.

It came with a cute blond in a mini skirt to whom I'm still happly married.

·
Registered
28 Posts
1979 AMC Spirit, it was blue with blue interior. I bought it from my brother-in-law. My first car that I bought from an actual dealership was a 1985 Honda Accord hatchback.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Speaking of Newport (Rhode Island), mine was a '59 VW microbus that we packed about fourteen hippies into during the Folk Festivals. Took three of us just to steer it it was so heavy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
1974 Mercury Capri, it had a V-6 with a 4-speed. I was in college and I loved that car. It was brand new, sporty, and all mine. The perfect car to zip around the streets of Boston.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
1980 Chevy Monte Carlo. That car did more vertical miles than horizontal. In the 2 years I owned it I paid more in repairs than I did for the car. Replaced with a 1988 CRX Si (Barbados Yellow) that I drove for 9 years. Best damn car I ever owned (The CRX that is).

1 - 20 of 63 Posts