Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh man... i'd like to know what price you all got ur Xs for with accessories... If you paid more than MSRP you all are getting ripped off and you need me to wheel and deal with the dealers. Dealers may give you the BS that they have people lined up to get them... yeah that's just a sales gimmick... dont buy it... if you crunch the numbers and reason with them... they'll bring it down... we got our X... brand new... black on black with wood steering wheel, wood meter panel, wood knob, running boards, tail deflector, moonroof visor, side body molding, and dvd for UNDER $38,000... no joke...and yes this is a Touring Edition... u guys gotta HAGGLE!!! if any of you want to know how i got it... just pm me...:2: :2: :2: It's comin in 2.18.03... i will put up pics!!!!!!!!! sooooooo happy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
This is not a secret society

Why not just tell us outright? What's with the secret PM?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha... alright guys... i didnt really have time today to post everything... dont worry... i'm not giving you a line here... i'm telilng the truth... tomorrow i will post! k?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I hope you have it in writing, others have went to pick up there X and was forced to get it with options and the price changed.

So I wouldn't laugh to loud until you pick up your vehicle at the agreed price.

What dealer did you buy from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motorcars Acura in Cleveland, OH... and oops... sorry i messed up the numbers...we paid 38,700... we have the price written in STONE... lol... and we agreed on the accessories... this dealership is high quality and does not add features to their mdxs... unless they are demos or the dealer drove them... u do not have to pay for anything extra... u place your order, and if possible... they trade for the mdx that you want, or they put a fresh order through... our X was a fresh order, and the shipping was changed at the factory... The original figure we agreed upon was around 42,000 with all accessories... and that is a CRAZY markup... We haggled and i explained to them what they would be getting... dealer's invoice is around 37,000 and i paid them about 1700 above invoice... which is a GOOD REASONABLE profit for them... and they agreed! believe me... if you explain to them... they will listen... there is no CRAZY demand for them... they just say that to you so that hey can make money... it is just a gimmick... they make a reasonable profit on ALL their cars... all luxury car companies do this... they say that people are lined up to buy the cars... they might be... but that just puts extra pressure on you to buy it if you really want it and you dont have time to negotiate. If you take your time, and keep working with the person... they will agree... And dont go to them... let them come to you...Give them a reasonable price you are willing to pay... if they say no... say ok... and then walk out... say your going to buy the XC90 then... or something like that... they will call you back... believe me... it happened with us... we left the dealership and within FIVE MINUTES... they called us back... saying that the price is ok... they sell enough of these Xs to make a profit to allow them to give you it for such a low price... be patient and take your time... trust me... hope this helps... it helped me!

later

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Congrats on a well argued deal. . . if everyone else did the same as you, perhaps the dealerships wouldn't take advantage of customers. . . unfortunately, people want what they want.

And as my wife said, the MSRP and for what we got, it was still a steal. . . compared to the X5, ML and similar models.

Again, way to go. . .

·
Registered
292 Posts
One comment: Supply and demand for various cars is different in different parts of the USA (and Canada, I presume). So when somebody says they got a great deal somewhere, it isn't necessary news that applies to someone somewhere else, unless they're willing to travel a long distance. Many or most dealers will still let you walk instead of discounting from MSRP. (Why discount to one customer if another customer will come in soon and pay MSRP?) Also, it seems to be clear from what quite a few people are saying that discounts are now becoming available here and there on MDX's, where this wasn't the case even 6 months or a year ago. One thing that might tend to even it all out: Where demand is tight for new MDX's, it's probably also tight for used ones, and people living there just might be able to get higher quotes for trade-ins.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wow. Just read through this thread.

Not exactly the greatest way for a newcomer to introduce himself to the community... claiming everyone here is an idiot for paying what they paid and professing to be a great negotiator. Perhaps it was just the excitement of purchasing an MDX.

Black-Black-MDX: If you got a good deal (and it sounds like you did) then, good for you. We're all happy for you. But... there are lot of factors that go into what each individual pays for the MDX... like Dale MDX mentioned above, location has a lot to do with it - as well as timing, dealer stock, and even the individual dealership.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Not getting NAVI certainly allowed for some negotiation. AFAIK, they are still 3 months out on pre-orders and non-negotiable.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Dale MDX said:
One comment: Supply and demand for various cars is different in different parts of the USA (and Canada, I presume). So when somebody says they got a great deal somewhere, it isn't necessary news that applies to someone somewhere else, unless they're willing to travel a long distance. ...
Dale MDX has hit the nail on the head... anyone who can't understand that geography is a major factor in pricing is 'Crazy' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Black-Black-MDX,

We are really a bunch of great people and X enthusiasts to a person which is why you will be welcomed to this site. Pricing has been discussed ad naseum here but in a more informational tone taking into account all relevant factors. Sounds like you got a great deal. The only downside as I see it is that when all is said and done and you are driving your new X you will still be in Cleveland. Don't get me wrong, I am from the Midwest and it is a great place to visit...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Black-Black-MDX said:
believe me... if you explain to them... they will listen... there is no CRAZY demand for them... they just say that to you so that hey can make money...
later
You sound like someone who was calling into one of the NPR programs (maybe it was Talk of the Nation). The caller was trying to tell all of us that the world is just not explaining things to President Saddam Hussein properly. If we were to explain properly, he will listen.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got a Sage Touring+Navi in Northern CA in a week at MSRP. I looked all over the state and found lots of tourings only or touring+Navi in Silver available. But I wanted what I wanted. I was on 5 dealers lists in case of cancellation. The delivery time was estimated at 2-3 months everywere I looked, 3+ months to order. I got the call and whipped out my credit card for a deposit.

Congradulations on your great deal. It's all supply and demand!:)

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
To recap what my fellow members have said above.....

........there were Two (2) PRIMARY factors that resulted in your getting a good deal on the MDX:

1) You bought a Non Navigation equipped model.

2) Your location was Cleveland, OH (I've been following these "pricing" threads for sometime now, and from my recollection, I've seen 2 posts before, from people in the Ohio area, that got around $1,500 to $1,800 off MSRP on Non-Navi models)

......It's all a game of supply and demand!.......That said, I'm a big supporter of people who haggle well and don't just "believe" what sales people tell them (makes it better for all of us consumers). However, for right now, the MDX is a "high-demand" (or I'd put it more appropriately as a "low-supply" :rolleyes: ) vehicle, for whatever reason.........and trust me, I've done a ton of research on pricing! .......Discounts are JUST NOW beginning to appear, ranging from as little as "free accessories" on Navi models to as much as $1500 or so off MSRP in some regions, on Non-Navi models. That said, in a few months, with SEVERE competion and other factors there's likely to be more discounts!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow... then i did get a good deal... but hey... cleveland isnt that bad... and the demand for mdxs isnt THAT low... but its probably higher in the west... and if any of you didnt like my tone... i am sorry... anyways... i am getting navi/dvd installed aftermarket b/c my brother in law sells that stuff... thats probably why i'm getting mine so quickly... oh well... i know it wasnt a GREAT way to introduce myself, but i was excited... i hope to hear more from all of you... 16 days left!!!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Black-Black-MDX,

It is great that you could get such great discount on your MDX. Back in my time, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get such deal. There are at least 5~6 acura dealers in my area within 1 hour driving distance. All the dealers required at least 5 months of waiting time. So NO ONE could get that deal.

:cool:

·
Registered
319 Posts
So let me get this straight, you're paying $38,700 for an MDX that is $40,300 MSRP AND the dealer is giving you a Wood Wheel, Wood Meter Panel, Wood Shift, Running Boards, Tail Deflector, Moonroof Visor and BSM for FREE? HondacruraWorld.com is down, so I can't get the prices on all that stuff, but it's got to be around 2K to 3K installed. So you're saving over $5,000! That's got to be the best deal IN THE WORLD on any MDX. Seems too good to be true.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Competitive landscape...

...changes from moment to moment! From the dealer's perspective, it may have made GREAT SENSE to try and 'stock up' on base or RES models 3 or 4 months ago, when NAVI was not order-able THEN the competition SHIFTED. With the XC90 becoming available, more people who need/want 3rd row had something to consider. Base MDXs are a tough call against a base XC90. Factor in the uncertain economy and it becomes clear that some dealers may be quite anxious to keep stock low... A friend of my wife just picked up an 03 base for a bit under MSRP at a Chicagoland dealer-- she found that two other area dealers would not budge on price...

The MDX is still an excellent value at MSRP when compared to some competitors, so "deals" are still the exception, NOT the norm. I suspect that smart dealers keep a little score card to help them judge how "deep" the waiting lists are and how many days/calls it takes to sell an MDX that arrives "unspoken for" or the original orderer "backs out". Some dealers have a much smaller pool of potential buyers...

The next bit of competitive pressure is likely to come from the SRX, but that won't be available until 3rd quarter -- by then there should be little/no backlog of MDX orders for any model/options...,

1 - 20 of 129 Posts