Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Yuppiescum,

I believe you are the first to install the longer 54" tracks on the MDX? Did these 54" tracks extend beside the moonroof? I am still looking for help on installing longer tracks to gain the needed flexibility. If I think it is possible, I will pay to have someone professionally install them for me.

I had long tracks on my previous truck cap and could slide the Yakima bars forward and back different distances apart to accommodate almost any size item or attachment (large gear boxes, canoes, lumber, mattress/box springs, platform to stand on, etc...). Longer tracks on the MDX would also allow me to move some of these longer items more forward on the roof, specifically the long gear boxes, so I can still open the back hatch(w spoiler) all the way.

Could you please post pictures of the longer tracks on your MDX?

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Alternative to self-installation of Yakima tracks

...I decided to just have the guys at the "Sports Rack" do the install of my 54" Yakima rails which they did in about an hour...

I guess "Sports Rack" finally learned how to install Yakima tracks on the MDX.

In October, when I was doing the research for installing the tracks on my MDX, they told me that they would not even attempt installation because Yakima did not have a recommended fit for the MDX. I did the research myself (see previous posts in this thread, if interested), bought 42" Yakima tracks from "Sports Rack", and installed them myself.

For those MDX owners who are mechanically-challenged and/or hesitant about drilling the holes in the MDX roof to install the tracks, "Sports Rack" is a good alternative to self-installation.

· Registered
5 Posts
mgmdx,

Sorry, missed your earlier documentation on your 42" track installation. Looks great. Also, nice Rockhopper. Can't wait to through my new Trek Fuel up there.
I have installed the 60" tracks on two fiberglass truck caps in the past, but I am still a little nervous about drilling into my MDX. No "Sports Rack" in this part of the country. After looking at your pictures though, I think I am comfortable about doing the work myself. However, I think I will need to go with the longer 54" tracks.

Thanks again for the details.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Gear On The Go same company as Sports Rack

WhtMnts,

"Sports Rack" is the same company as "Gear On The Go". Perhaps they have a location in your area if you decide not to do the installation yourself.

My Rockhopper has served me well in the last 6+ years. I like it alot, but the time has come to upgrade to something newer, better, and lighter. I have narrowed my choices down to either a Specialized - Stumpjumper FSR XC, Santa Cruz - Superlight X, or a Trek - Fuel 90. I will test ride all three bikes later this spring and will decide which one to get.

Good luck with the installation.

· Registered
18 Posts

· Registered
737 Posts
sunroof shop

WhtMnts said:
mgmdx,

Sorry, missed your earlier documentation on your 42" track installation. Looks great. Also, nice Rockhopper. Can't wait to through my new Trek Fuel up there.
I have installed the 60" tracks on two fiberglass truck caps in the past, but I am still a little nervous about drilling into my MDX. No "Sports Rack" in this part of the country. After looking at your pictures though, I think I am comfortable about doing the work myself. However, I think I will need to go with the longer 54" tracks.

Thanks again for the details.
If you can't find a rack specialty install shop, might I suggest going to a place that installs sunroofs. They have experience in pulling headliners and drilling through car roofs.
If you do the work yourself, and you use the plusnuts, you don't actually have to drop the whole headliner, just around a few edges to locate and inpect obstructions for the drill points. Probably only need to remove the rear grab handles and soft rubber trim molding.

· Registered
103 Posts
I had my Yakima tracks installed by a body shop. I first went to two places that specialize in aftermarket accessories. The first place fsaid that they'd do the work, but then backed out. The second place wanted $400. The body shop did it for me for $200, and gave me a life-time warrantee on their work.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.