Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for this answer on this site but I have not found it yet. Does anyone who has installed the Yakima tracks onto their roof know how far apart to space the bolts? I read one of the original posts but it only said "I then marked hole location and drilled six holes for each track. " Which six holes should I drill into?

I'd also appreciate any other tips as I start to drill into my week old MDX!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been researching this myself. Yakima recommends that you use the first and last hole, and then every other hole in between.

I believe mgmdx described in detail which holes he used, and why in his Yakima tracks thread, but he installed the 40" tracks, not the 54" tracks that I need.

I've found a local place that is going to do the install of the 54" tracks. I'll post pics and details when I get every thing done, but it may be a week or two.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Installation details and pictures

Does anyone who has installed the Yakima tracks onto their roof know how far apart to space the bolts?... Which six holes should I drill into?

windsurfer41257,

The actual track (42") contains 8 holes. The track is used as a template to mark hole location. As I mentioned in my PM to you, the specific holes to be used (post #3), as well as the track placement on the MDX roof (post #1) are specified on page 3 of the Yakima Roof Rack thread.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Windsurfer ---

Did you do the install???? How did it go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installation a success!

Everything went smoothly. We installed the Yakima tracks and Thule Tracker 2 feet, which are cool 'cos they have a quick release feature. You can pop the racks on & off in about a minute. It took a little over three hours to do the tracks, the rear mud flaps and the running boards.

I'm really happy I went this route!

·
Registered
67 Posts
42" or 54"

Did you install the 42 " track or the 54" track?

·
Registered
103 Posts
My MDX is in an auto body shop having the 54" tracks installed this morning. I decided that I'd rather not do this myself, and I'm willing to spend a little money to have somebody else with some experience do the work.

I bought Yakima Locking railriders, with 58" crossbars, along with a set of gunwale holders, and a kayak holder. I'll post some pics once I get everything mounted and loaded. I haven't seen a picture of a canoe on top of an MDX yet.

The only thing I don't like about the Yakima setup, is that you have to removed most of it to re-position the location of the crossbars, and it requires loosening 8 bolts. Hopefully I won't have to move things around too much. I think I can leave the bolts loose until I figure out what locations work the best for the canoe and kayak, and then tighten them down.

Does the Thule system let you move it around while it is attached to the tracks?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thule Rack

You have to remove the top part of the rail feet/cross-bars and loosen 2 bolts in each foot to move Thule's rack system, as well. However, Thule has a slick quick-removal system that works very easily and well. I have adjusted mine a couple of times since I had them installed about 2 weeks ago. It didn't take long (maybe 5 minutes) and was not difficult.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can quickly remove the Yakima railriders also. You have to leave a small piece of the base in the track, but it doesn't look like it will be very visible.

How bad is the wind noise with just the crossbars attached?

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's installed!!!

I got the tracks installed yesterday. Looks like they did an excellent job, and they even went under their original estimate by $20.

I tested loaded they kayak last night, but I need to reposition the cross bars about 8" farther apart or more, and then see how the canoe fits. Then it's time for a test drive at speed. Pictures will be posted.

Wind noise with just the bars isn't too bad. It's awful with the sunroof open, but I expected that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts