UCLAMDX has Q-tower type Yakima rack
I believe UCLAMDX has a Yakima rack with Q-towers/Q-clips installed on his MDX. Maybe he can post some pictures.
I researched the Q-tower option prior to installing Yakima tracks and rack on my MDX. This solution did not work for me. There are limitations on where the crossbars can be positioned because of the way MDX rear doors/c-pillars curve. The Q-tower type installation results in the following deficiencies.
1. The front cross bar is directly above the moon roof - loads may block or interfere with the moon roof, wind noise is more obvious and fairing can't be used to reduce it.
2. The rack is positioned too far forward on the roof - it is difficult to evenly distribute longer loads.
3. The maximum spread between the bars with Q-towers is 32" - some utility is lost if you need your bars to be spread farther apart.
4. The 58" cross bar recommended for Q-towers on an MDX is too wide and sticks out on the sides too much - this does not look very good, in my opinion.
5. The actual Q-clips that hold the Q-towers on the MDX roof are very obvious because of the shape of the MDX roof (2"x3" black metal strips will be visible between the Q-towers and the top edges of MDX doors, unless you have a black MDX) - this, again, is not very esthetic, in my opinion.
Of course, if the deficiencies outlined above are not significant obstacles in your case, then Q-tower type Yakima roof rack may be the right solution for you. Otherwise, you may want to consider permanent installation of Yakima tracks with Railrider towers. It is not that difficult, it provides a secure and flexible solution, and it looks good.