Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Compare with my previously owned leather seats of 2010 Lexus LS 460, 2015 BMW x5, and 2021Toyota Highlander the 2022 MDX leather seats are below par. workman ship looks poor.
My MDX cooland are low and the chrome grill is stained and cannot be cleaned with any automobile cleaners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's already another thread on the 4th gen wrinkled seats.
the 2022 MDX is my fourth Acura. I'm very disappointed on how this seat has winked up with 1000 miles on the odometer. I'm going to contact Acura Corp and bring it to their attention I think all owners should do the same. If more than one person complains that will get their attention.

·
Registered
93 Posts
the 2022 MDX is my fourth Acura. I'm very disappointed on how this seat has winked up with 1000 miles on the odometer. I'm going to contact Acura Corp and bring it to their attention I think all owners should do the same. If more than one person complains that will get their attention.
After inspecting lots of car seats, Hondas included, I have come to the conclusion that what is common to those other seats and missing from the seats on the '22 MDX is that horizontal stitching across the middle of the center strip, right where one sits. Almost every vehicle has that stitch and although I am no expert on the mechanics of seat design, it appears to me that it is there to provide that extra tension needed to avoid the wrinkles we are seeing on the '22 MDX. To put it simply, that middle strip is way too long, I believe.

Unless Acura redesigns and replaces all the seat covers, including the middle and rear seats, this failure will persist and will only get worse. Unfortunately, I just don't see Acura doing a redesign/replacement. The best I suspect we'll ever get, even if that, would be some cash payment to make up for the loss of value, and then only after some legal action. In short, as far as the look of the seats is concerned, I suspect we are screwed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Compare with my previously owned leather seats of 2010 Lexus LS 460, 2015 BMW x5, and 2021Toyota Highlander the 2022 MDX leather seats are below par. workman ship looks poor.
My MDX cooland are low and the chrome grill is stained and cannot be cleaned with any automobile cleaners.
I just went to my Acura dealer ship per advice from Acura Product main office. The service manager said the wrinkled seats cannot be repaired. It can become worst if they tried.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just went to Acura dealership near my home per adcice from Acura main office. The service manager said it cannot be repaired, it can get worst if they try.
BS man....or maybe they are right. It can't be repaired, but it sure as heck can be REPLACED! My driver's seat leather was replaced a few months ago already. It's a bit better, but now I have issues w/ the rear seat as well!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
BS man....or maybe they are right. It can't be repaired, but it sure as heck can be REPLACED! My driver's seat leather was replaced a few months ago already. It's a bit better, but now I have issues w/ the rear seat as well!!!
It could be a variety of factors……..This is my Third MDX………The leather/vinyl area of the armrest started buckling at around 70K. I eventually traded it in at about 110K. I keep my vehicles meticulously especially the interior. I had to have an automotive upholstery repair shop repair the armrest and actually made it better with more padding. I now think the issue has something to do with the type of padding on the seats and the style with the three pieces of leather to make up the seat instead of one single piece. I’ve had some wrinkling on my Advance but not as bad as some that as have seen posted and it really hasn’t gotten worse. If it does get worse I would be inclined to take it to a skilled auto upholstery shop. They can problem add some more padding and tighten up the existing stitching. You will have to pay for it out of your own pocket obviously but the dealer and Acura Customer Relations aren’t trying to correct the issue just as they weren’t with the awful Bridgestone Alenza OEM tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is terrible! I've been a Nissan girl for most of my adult life and the first time I step out and get "my dream vehicle", the leather is having this issue within weeks of getting the vehicle. Has anyone had any resolve with their local Acura dealer or the Corporate Office?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is terrible! I've been a Nissan girl for most of my adult life and the first time I step out and get "my dream vehicle", the leather is having this issue within weeks of getting the vehicle. Has anyone had any resolve with their local Acura dealer or the Corporate Office?
Hi. Yes, my dealer replaced the leather in my driver's seat a few weeks after I took delivery. My rear seats with my 60 lb kids are doing the same thing! Butt imprints.....this should def NOT be happening w/ these leather seats. I expect much better quality for 60K +

So, yes, talk to your dealer and be like what the heck????? They know about this....enough of us customers have complained and brought this up.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My 2022 Advanced drivers seat was wrinkled after only a few hundred miles and I only weight 145 lbs.

Very disappointed! From what I have seen, it is common to all 2022 MDX units.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
My 2022 Advanced drivers seat was wrinkled after only a few hundred miles and I only weight 145 lbs.
The problem with this is that if it only appears after driving for a few hundred miles you can't even inspect for it on vehicle delivery. You'd think they could get something like this right after seats being made for vehicles for over a hundred years now - it's not like it's a new and challenging task. Most likely Acura outsources the seat manufacture so I hope they switch to another provider who can do a proper job. If they assemble the seat coverings themselves then there's really no excuse for the seats to continue to have issues like this.

Or...maybe they consider it a design feature.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The problem with this is that if it only appears after driving for a few hundred miles you can't even inspect for it on vehicle delivery. You'd think they could get something like this right after seats being made for vehicles for over a hundred years now - it's not like it's a new and challenging task. Most likely Acura outsources the seat manufacture so I hope they switch to another provider who can do a proper job. If they assemble the seat coverings themselves then there's really no excuse for the seats to continue to have issues like this.

Or...maybe they consider it a design feature.
What was the line some dealer gave? Something like “The wrinkles form because of the extremely high quality soft leather that is used” as if no one else in the industry uses high quality leather. Heck, our 2013 Pilot has leather and has held up perfectly with no wrinkles so it’s not like Honda doesn’t know how.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The dealer service departments can us any excuse they want but it is truly a defect that should have never happened. My 6 year old leather seats in a past Lexus had zero wrinkles and I weighed a lot more back then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Double post as I did this on the other wrinkled seat post

We have the same issue with our 22 MDX A-Spec purchased from Fisher Acura in Boulder, CO. Upon purchase when we finally got out to see the car after detail, my wife specifically asked our salesman and the detailer why the seats were wrinkled, both told us it would smooth out in a few weeks. Plus we were assured it was "under warranty", so we had nothing to worry about. At this point in time we have been there a few hours and our kids are ready to go too, so we left with it. We followed up with dealer a few weeks after having it and complained to sales manager. We took it in and the service manager said there is nothing they can do and they had replaced seat cover in other ones and it won't fix it. So we called and complained to Acura and had a case open with Honda of America. Was advised it would be inspected at first service interval again. After taking it in we were told its not a defect because they ALL look like this. I actually said to our case manager w/ HoA that if our seats were actually perfect that would be a defect according to them. Its been 6+ months of going back and forth and I'm curious what have other owners that complained heard from Acura/Honda of America? Also feel a bit ripped off with the 2023 models and what they offer standard.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I actually said to our case manager w/ HoA that if our seats were actually perfect that would be a defect according to them.
That's a funny one but I see the frustration.

By now you know to never trust what a car salesperson says. They'll do and say anything to get you out the door with the car and the sale in their pocket. In retrospect it would've been handy to ask the service department about the wrinkled seat situation before actually accepting the vehicle but I'm not sure that would've been feasible.

Also feel a bit ripped off with the 2023 models and what they offer standard.
Which features specifically are you referring to that are standard on the 2023 that weren't on the 2022?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts