Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car shines on the highway. I love that the 6spd isn't constantly down shifting on every little hill and the engine has plenty of torque to climb and pass. Very comfortable even after many miles behind the wheel. Very low ambient noise makes driving a pleasure. Averaged over 27 mpg with the cruise set between 80-85 with a load of kid college junk and three passengers. Bugs do love this car. I spent an hour cleaning them up this morning. One minor issue was my thumb drive full of music. I get random skips and dropouts when playing the thumb drive.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just completed a 6,000 mile coast to coast round trip this week in my 2014 MDX. I think this is the 4th one I've done with this vehicle. It did great the whole way on all of the trips and is a very nice vehicle for a trip like this.

I just stream music the whole way with my iPhone - using Pandora or Accuradio. I tried using Aha but it's so quirky as to be almost unusable. Once I finally got it to play something with Aha it ended up cutting every song short - weird. The streaming works very well though and is much better than XM radio IMO, which gets very monotonous with their limited selection.

I no longer really check the mileage but did notice the displayed 'average' was typically 27-28 and for much of the trip I was cruising around 78mph except for where it was posted 80 in which case I went about 82.

This is a really good vehicle for long distance trips.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't get Pandora coverage, even on interstate highways. Really disappointing.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I couldn't get Pandora coverage, even on interstate highways. Really disappointing.
If your cell phone has coverage then Pandora will have coverage. I've criss-crossed the country coast to coast on multiple trips from the southern to mid to northern parallels - roughly I-18/I-10, on I-40, on I-70, on I-80, gone up and down via I-15, I-95, I-20/30, from California to Florida to Maine and everywhere in between and the freeway coverage is excellent (AT&T). It's generally good on most highways (non-freeways), and even most surface roads in most city-ish areas. There are some dropouts in very mountainous areas although not usually on freeways.

The usage of Pandora via the infotainment is quirky - I found that sometimes it refused to start even though cell coverage was fine so I'd have to fiddle with it to get it going. Almost every time I stopped the car and restarted it I needed to select Pandora on the infotainment again for it to start even though it was already selected from before. At least once on the trip I couldn't get it to work at all until I reset my iPhone, which then enabled it to work again. I think I likely had issues related to both the Pandora app and the infotainment itself and possibly the iPhone itself, but other than the quirkiness, it worked okay - better than Aha. The Accuradio worked well also even though it's not an infotainment built-in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just returned from a short(190 miles one way) trip to Michigan on my 2014 MDX. I wanted to test MPG with/without VCM Muzzler, so drove to MI without muzzler. averaged 28MPG with 150 miles of non-stop driving. On the way back I installed VCM muzzler and drove back home with 3 stops in between. I was expecting a lower MPG but in fact got 29MPG (only thing I can think of is gas in MI may not have 10 ethanol blend).

I am not writing this to highlight MPG performance but rather how good the car drove with VCM muzzler. While driving with out, my MDX constantly switched between regular and VCM mode with noticeable power loss at times when you need it. Though there was no safety issue, I could clearly see my MDX dropping over 10MPH while climbing moderate uphill on highway. On my return journey with VCM muzzler on, the car drove very different. Acceleration and drive was smooth and never felt loss of power. Overall, I think $105 well spent on VCM muzzler.

Please note that I am not endorsing VCM Muzzer, just stating my experience with it after using for over 2 months now.
Surprised to learn on this forum that not many experienced that annoying vibrations/lack of power/weird humming/moaning noise while VCM kicks in/out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had an old Odyssey with the VCM light. Any time you pressed the gas pedal with any amount of effort, VCM turned off. It was almost impossible to drive without VCM turning off, I know, I tried. All that time, I never knew whether VCM was on or off without checking the light. On highways, the only time VCM was on was going down hills once the speedometer hit 75mph. So while I'm surprised that you got better mileage with all 6 cylinders running all the time, I think Honda/Acura oversell the whole fuel savings VCM technology. My guess is the same as yours that other factors improved your mileage including gas, wind speed, elevation change, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts