Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to move next month to a new apartment development (I hate yard work and can't do handyman stuff). They don't have full garages available unfortunately, but they do offer covered carports for $15 extra a month. I'm thinking it's worth it given Charleston's brutal sunshine but my X does spend every work day inside a parking garage so the exposure is limited. I've never had experience with a carport. Is it worth it :confused:
Meep Meep

·
Registered
74 Posts
definitely worth it. What if it hails? I had a Camry and an Accord pretty much totaled in a five minute hail storm in VA in 1996. Try to get it covered up as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
$15 doesn't sound a lot. I pay $100 a month for parking in a garage here in NYC, but it'd saved me hundreds from parking on the street in dings and scuffed bumpers... Additionally, during the winter (may not apply as much in SC), I don't have to go defrost my car first, and in the summers, it's not quite as scorching hot as it is outside...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Definitely worth it but here's something to consider - one possible concern is that some say a car is more likely to be vandalized or broken into in a carport (easier to hide I guess) rather than out in the open. If you are in a pretty safe area or can view your car from the apt. then I would definitely go for it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Never had a problem in my carport, and we've been in this house for 34 years. It has protected our cars from hail, ice, blinding sun, and hurricanes. Definitely a worthwhile addition to any home. If you do work on your car from time to time, it's great to be able to do it under shelter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'd do it, if it's convenient to the apartment. That way, you have a designated space and feel good about treating your 'baby' right!:4:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
What about ding potential?

I assume that the carport is a long multicar version that your $15 allows you access to? How wide are the spaces? How does the ding potential in the carport compare with the free non-carport spaces.

No answers, just something else to consider;)

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: What about ding potential?

msu79gt82 said:
I assume that the carport is a long multicar version that your $15 allows you access to? How wide are the spaces
An excellent point - I'm going to go back this afternoon and check that out. :29:
Thanks,
Meep Meep

·
Registered
121 Posts
absolutely i would pay $15 for a carport !!

not having to get into a hot car, no snow to wipe off, rain not getting in the car when you open the door...blah blah blah

jeff

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOW - What About Garages???

I appreciate the input about carports - especially msu79gt82 concerning space width - turned out it was a pretty tight 8' space and I probably would have had to rent two spaces to be safe.
That said, it is all now academic because Mrs. RoadRunner has changed her mind :rolleyes: (what a surprise) and now we are moving to a place that has garages available - (nice). They go for $75 a month and have the automatic opener etc etc.

Question 1 - Would you pay $75 to give your X a snug little house?

Question 2 - The garage is 10'x18' inside (8' door) - It seems to me I will get some useful storage space and may NOT have to get a 5'x10' storage room (we are packrats). Does anyone have a 10'x18' garage and does it give you any storage room?

Meep Meep

·
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
About Living Expenses

DaleB said:
In Silicon Valley the difference between renting and owning is the downpayment. Rents on good places are almost equal to house payments. Must be nice to be in an area where everyday living expenses are reasonable. Isn't that how it should be?
It is still possible in the Charleston area to get a really deluxe 3 bedroom, 1400 sqft apartment in a prime location ( near beaches etc) for just this side of $1000. The same place in the hinterlands (like Goose Creek) would cost about $200 less.
Not sure how that compares to the Valley but unless things have changes a lot since I was last there I suspect a $1000 might get you a puptent :4: just an impression I got - hope I'm wrong.
Meep Meep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts