Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Would you have bought the running boards if you weren't forced to?

• Yes, even at the inflated price

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Yes, but only if they were sold at a fair price

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No, I was forced to buy them but I\'m okay with it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and it still pisses me off cuz they are butt ugly

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of dealers in my area are forcing people to buy the running boards. I was somewhat open to them at first (mainly because I had no choice), but then I had to ask myself if I would have bought them had I not been forced to... Heck no! What am I? 80 years old? What the hell do I need running boards for when the truck is only 8 inches off the ground! Really irks me they are trying to make me buy them. Add a little insult to injury? They are charging $1100.00 for them (they are supposed to be $747.96 installed). :mad:

Would you have gotten them if they weren't a forced option?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
$1100 for running board is very high. If you have not bought your MDX yet check with other dealers. With the release of the Pilot and increased availablity of the X you should be able to find a dealer that will sell w/o boards.

One benefit of the boards as I have discovered with my P/U is that they do keep rocks from chipping the lower side of the vehicle. They also make it easier for my dog (Yorkie) to get in the rig.

I like the way the side steps look better than the running boards. Especially the Manik SS. These can be purchased for under $400 and are not a difficult install according to threads I have read here.

There is probably not a good reason to get the side steps (no significant function) except that they look good. I probably will get them. My dog has no problem getting in the MDX, unlike my 4WD P/U.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I willingly bought the boards from the dealer (non-forced), at less than $700. Yes, they help with chips, and they help my wife (5'3") to get in and out, especially when wearing a tight skirt. If I had known about this site -- and Tim -- before buying the car, I would have bought from Tim and installed 'em myself.

We think they look quite nice, certainly not butt-ugly, but then we're old enough not to be into adding chrome thingies to our cars :2:

BTW, the car will have been ours for 1 year next Tuesday (7/2)!:18:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
frostyra said:
...... when wearing a tight skirt......but then we're old enough not to be into adding chrome thingies to our cars....
Don't sound that old to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also willingly added the running boards. I got it for about $700 - kinda expensive but I use it all the time. It helps prevent me from getting in and slliding from the side edge of the seat to get into position. The side edge doesn't get all wrinkled and beat up that way. I think the X looks better anyways with running boards or side steps - it just has to have something there or it looks bare.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Geez, I'm really starting to feel like the oddball on this site. I willingly bought my running boards, as I'm only 5'3'' and I didn't want getting in the X to be difficult (especially when wearing a skirt). Additionally, I definitely don't think they're butt ugly-- in fact, I find them more functional and eye-appealing than the steps. Eye-appealing because I feel like they're unobtrusive and almost blend in with the vehicle. They're functional for me because I also walk all over them when I'm washing the roof of the car-- don't think I could do that as easily with the Maniks. Lastly, I'm convinced they saved me from a nasty ding the other night on the interstate when I heard a rather LOUD smack underneath the car. I just knew a rock or something had dent the heck out of the back panel, but it's clean--- I'm guessing I was saved by the running board. They cost me $799.

:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
If the dealer had installed the running boards and then offered the vehicle to me, I would've gotten them - I think the vehicle looks better with them. But, I was offered the MDX without them and they wanted $750 to add them. I took the MDX 'bare' and added side steps myself for just over $400 and 1-1/2 of time! The vehicles looks like it should, now.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
No forced dealer options at all

I did not vote since I prefer the Side Steps to Running Boards. But since this poll really is about forced dealer options I wanted to chime in that my dealer does NOT force any options.:cool:

John Eagle Acura in Houston www.houstonacura.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts