Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you buy the 4th generation MDX if it is going to have the ZF9 speed? I think Honda would prefer to use their 10 speed transmission but may not have this ready in time for the new 4th gen MDX. I think anyone buying a 4th gen MDX with the ZF9 speed is going to get burned when Acura drops this transmission in subsequent years. I don't any any issues with my 9 speed ZF. It is smooth most of the time and gives the occasional squeak. But I just don't trust this transmission.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the ZF is in the 4th gen I'd wager it's going to be a revised unit with spot on programming, then maybe they go 10 speed in the 4th gen refresh? But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4th gen with this same transmission, ZF makes a solid unit.

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
27 Posts
the 2021 mdx will have the honda 10speed, probably the same as in the rdx right now from the articles that are out there, they want to move on from the zf tranny

also read turbo v6

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Anyone noticed that the new MDX Hybrid for the Pikes Peak run is sporting a 3.7L Engine?? Combined output is 400HP and 350lb-ft same 7 Speed DCT.

Now that is an MDX I am very interested in.. Drop the Turbos just give me a newly updated J37 with Dual VTEC, D/I and a 7500 Redline and I am all in.

·
Registered
394 Posts
why didn't they use the perfect ZF 8 spd? but I am done with Acura. On waiting list now for Hyundai Palisade.
The Palisade looks nice from what I have seen.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
J.D. Power Initial Quality tests make me LOL all the time...

Reactions: carli123

·
Registered
252 Posts
I really like the idea of and the specs for the hybrid. However, it has a 0 trailer towing capacity, so that leaves me and my kayak trailer out. :-(

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
why didn't they use the perfect ZF 8 spd? but I am done with Acura. On waiting list now for Hyundai Palisade.
ZF 8HP is a beautiful tranny (just like the 6 was). But it is only for longitudinal applications (also just like the 6). The MDX is a transverse engine setup, which is what the ZF9 was designed for. In addition, the ZF9 is an extremely small package, giving the MDX some weight savings.

I too am looking into the Telluride to replace my older vehicle. That or the Palisade, but I hate how the Palisade looks lol. It just has a lot more interior features that are better implemented than the Telluride. Who knows though, Kia might match them at the MMR.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My ‘16 has been in for issues with the transmission and it is currently in for a total replacement. I’m not that worried because the dealership and Acura have been very supportive during this whole process. I’ve been a loyal Honda/Acura customer and deviated only a few times but generally come back “home.” The Service Manager of our dealership is the son of the owner and he is a car guy. He told me at their last Acura dealer meeting they telegraphed that the MDX will be in line with the new RDX. He said they are promising larger than the current gen and indicated the 10 spd was likely. I’ve had the RDX several times as a loaner throughout all of this and my current one is a 2020. It’s been interesting to see the build quality and transmission programming improve with each one I’ve had. Just one more reason I’ll likely be skipping the next gen for a little while.

Even with my issues, I think the 9 speed is generally ok, but I wish Acura has focused on a more traditional 8 speed as I believe that is the magic number of performance, efficiency, and drivability. The Service Manager also told me there were some mechanical updates to all 2019 models using the 9 speed. Motor Trend actually was the most specific, citing re-engineering some valves in the unit. I started another thread asking for some feedback on the 2019 version and only got two data points. But looking at this forum and the Pilot forum there are few if any complaints. It leads me to believe they may have figured out how to make this more natural. Otherwise people would be screaming.

I will say my previous car was what is now a Santa Fe XL. It was good not great. I was lured by what seemed like a good value on the surface. The car never left me stranded but had some electrical gremlins that reared their ugly head shortly after the bumper to bumper warranty ended. The V6 was smooth and quiet but I would say the ride was not anywhere near that of my MDX. It also had one if the worst heating systems I’ve ever experienced in a winter. I bought it thinking it was 85% of the car for 75% of the cost and in reality after two years it felt more like 75% of the car for 75% of the cost. I’m impressed with how well my three year old MDX still feels tight which I don’t think the Hyundai did as much. I like the exterior of the Telluride combined with the interior of the Palisade. But the basically mandatory captains chairs are a deal breaker for me. In reality, Hyundai/Kia have come a long, long way. They are formidable foes now but I still think they’re not quite there. The other thing I immediately missed is the level of customer care I get from my Acura service department. It’s night and day and it’s part of why I am so loyal to the brand. My current plan is to get a 2020 on closeout, even with a few issues I’ve had with this 9 speed.

Just my two cents...

·
Registered
608 Posts
ZF 8HP is a beautiful tranny (just like the 6 was). But it is only for longitudinal applications (also just like the 6). The MDX is a transverse engine setup, which is what the ZF9 was designed for. In addition, the ZF9 is an extremely small package, giving the MDX some weight savings.

I too am looking into the Telluride to replace my older vehicle. That or the Palisade, but I hate how the Palisade looks lol. It just has a lot more interior features that are better implemented than the Telluride. Who knows though, Kia might match them at the MMR.
Yeah botth the Telluride and Palisade look like great vehicles, very affordable and loaded with options and Kia and Hyundai are at the very top of JD Power initial quality reliability rankings. With the cost of all SUV's skyrocketing (Loaded Explorer now is over $60k, New Lincoln Aviator fully loaded will be around $80k, Cadillac XT6 fully loaded is $78k) a fully loaded next gen MDX will likely be unaffordable if it's $70k plus as is the trend right now. Everyone is cashing in on SUV popularity and trying to charge as much as they possibly can. Making options like Telluride and Palisade very enticing at under $50k

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am very happy with the 9-speed, particularly after they replaced it for free. Of course there are constant small improvements through the product life. I would have no problem buying a new car with it. Also, note that it is built for a 5000lb tow rating. Future MDXes might not be able to tow that much - something to watch for.

As for the Kia, initial quality and features are not the whole story. Before buying the MDX I test drove a Santa Fe. It had lots of features and looked great on paper. Sitting in it I found the center stack to be a bit too flashy, but more importantly the large matrix of buttons would be a nightmare for accessing while driving. The drive itself killed the deal: it drove like a truck with understeer. It just didn't like taking corners. By comparison the SH-AWD MDX takes corners with a will (but not really as well as a true sports sedan, Acura's advertising notwithstanding).

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I decided to skip any 3rd Gen MDX with the 9AT. I usually keep my vehicle +150,000 miles and was worried about drive-ability and replacement cost down the road with no warranty. Decided to go for the MDX sh-sh-awd because of the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty on hybrid components and the unique power train. So far, issues I've heard of with the 7DCT can be corrected with a fluid change.

I love my 11 MDX Adv and will still drive her another 2-4 years. I will wait until the 4th Gen MMC to give the 10AT more time to workout any bugs, give Acura time to fix any (info-tainment) issues, and get the updated styling/tech. I would still lean towards a 4th Gen sh-sh-awd if it had a DCT compared to 9/10AT.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
What is the issues with 7 DCT? If I buy one now, do I still need to worry about it? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Also want to confirm that for hybrid MDX, in first gear, mostly only the electric motor will move the car, right? So it won't suffer from slipping clutch at low speed? If you can describe how the system works, it will be very helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Anyone noticed that the new MDX Hybrid for the Pikes Peak run is sporting a 3.7L Engine?? Combined output is 400HP and 350lb-ft same 7 Speed DCT.

Now that is an MDX I am very interested in.. Drop the Turbos just give me a newly updated J37 with Dual VTEC, D/I and a 7500 Redline and I am all in.
You asked too little. I would want a proper dohc on top.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I only have around 750 miles on my 7DCT. Some folks with 17-18 7DCT said they had clunky engagement into reverse, 1st gear, and 1st to 2nd gear changes. So far, a fluid change has corrected the issue.

I’ve noticed a clunk into reverse only when I’m on a somewhat steep incline. Don’t feel the clunk on level ground. I will take the mdx in if it gets worse or happens on level ground.

I like to have the drive mode in sport. I keep the power distribution screen up on the upper screen a lot of time to see how the sh-sh-awd works. Low-moderate acceleration from a stop can be 100% electric with a combo of front and/or rear motors. The more acceleration you need will auto start the V-6 and that will power front wheels and recharge the battery at the same time. I usually don’t feel when the V-6 auto starts unless I’m looking at the rpms. I can sometimes cruise around in electric mode only at steady speeds under 35 mph.

Hard acceleration will max out engine and electric motor and drain the battery pretty quick. Engine will not send power to recharge the battery and may or may not use the rear motors on hard acceleration. I don’t know if power distribution changes programming in other modes? I think comfort and normal softens the dampers and steering. Sport+ will maximize engine and electric power. Still playing with the settings.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I only have around 750 miles on my 7DCT. Some folks with 17-18 7DCT said they had clunky engagement into reverse, 1st gear, and 1st to 2nd gear changes. So far, a fluid change has corrected the issue.

I’ve noticed a clunk into reverse only when I’m on a somewhat steep incline. Don’t feel the clunk on level ground. I will take the mdx in if it gets worse or happens on level ground.

I like to have the drive mode in sport. I keep the power distribution screen up on the upper screen a lot of time to see how the sh-sh-awd works. Low-moderate acceleration from a stop can be 100% electric with a combo of front and/or rear motors. The more acceleration you need will auto start the V-6 and that will power front wheels and recharge the battery at the same time. I usually don’t feel when the V-6 auto starts unless I’m looking at the rpms. I can sometimes cruise around in electric mode only at steady speeds under 35 mph.

Hard acceleration will max out engine and electric motor and drain the battery pretty quick. Engine will not send power to recharge the battery and may or may not use the rear motors on hard acceleration. I don’t know if power distribution changes programming in other modes? I think comfort and normal softens the dampers and steering. Sport+ will maximize engine and electric power. Still playing with the settings.
Thanks! That is very helpful. Now I do not have to worry about the clutch having to slip in very slow moving conditions. A few more questions. Can you force the car to use just battery for a very short period? Do you have any control at all for this?

Also I am wondering whether a smaller 3.0 engine can keep up charging the battery. Suppose you drive in a very hilly area, lots of sharp ups and downs. Is there any possibility that the engine cannot charge battery fast enough so that you have to rely solely on the smaller engine to do all the work?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The only control for only using battery is with the gas pedal. Driving a steady speed under 35 mph or accelerating slowly will use more battery before the engine kicks in. The 3.0L engine charges the battery in normal driving. I've never seen the battery below 20% or above 80%-85%. Haven't taken a long road trip to see if I can charge 100% or dogged it out in sport+ to see what happens at below 20%. My guess is the engine will act like an electric generator to power the 3 motors with the battery depleted (no EV mode with low battery power).

The 3.0L engine is recharging the battery all the time along with regen braking; except, during hard acceleration. The battery is also recharging when coasting with the 3 electric motors. I haven't found a way to charge the hybrid attery externally at home like a plug in hybrid. I experimented with hooking the car battery on a charger to see if it might charge the hybrid batteries and it did not.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Cool nice try

1 - 20 of 22 Posts