Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance but I want to ask should there be any concerns or specific questions to ask when purchasing a used MDX from a cold climate/snow state?

Would it generally be better to have a car in a climate that is too cold like canada vs too hot like Arizona?

I found a 2012 MDX Advance model for 23k that spent most of its life in Toronto / Ontario per the Autocheck report. It's got 77k miles in 4 years. Toronto gets ~47in of snow a year vs ~25" in NYC.
Obviously there are millions of car owners in Canada and the north, but would just like to get some thoughts/opinions on what to look out for since I would be taking 6 hours to drive to the car if I do buy it.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Cold/Snow states use Salt in the roads to prevent snow build up, that salt sticks to the under-carriage of the car and makes RUST.
So a car that has spent most of its life in snow will probably have higher chances of undercarriage rust which is a **** load of money if it spreads too much.

Compared to a Hot State where you are not going to see rust, but some cosmetic failures (warped dashboards, clear coat failure, etc).

So I will personally would not buy a Cold Climate car unless it has gone through some severe under-carriage inspection.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes, the most rust free vehicles come from AZ & NM.
Most people that buy $50,000 and over cars have garages and work in areas with garages.
An AZ & NM one owner used car is worth an airline ticket.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
besides rust, cold weather is very bad for engine oil, atf lubrication. Price has to be reduced to make the purchase worthwhile.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If I had to choose between a car used in Toronto or NYC, I'd take the former. Most NYC cars have the suspensions trashed and usually mediocre bodies. Toronto may get more snow but the roads are in better shape (at least that's my experience between the two cities). A southern/southwest vehicle is ideal but obviously there are a limited number of those available, particularly AWD vehicles like this. I'd probably pay someone to do an inspection before I drove six hours with the intent on buying it. If the owner took exceptional care of the vehicle then it could be just as nice as a southern vehicle. I live in the rust belt and have never had trouble with rust. All I do is run it through a car wash semi-regularly but some folks really go the extra mile (oil spraying, constant washing, etc). Others wash it twice a year and end up with rusted body panels in 5-6 years.

That being said, the price seems a little low but I don't know Canadian market that well. Watch out for the ADS shocks on the Advance. They're about $2,000 just for parts so many folks just switch them to regular shocks. Also be aware that Autocheck/Carfax are far from foolproof on registering accidents so be sure to inspect it carefully.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but I want to ask should there be any concerns or specific questions to ask when purchasing a used MDX from a cold climate/snow state?

Would it generally be better to have a car in a climate that is too cold like canada vs too hot like Arizona?......

Thanks for your input.
My recommendation is to only buy used cars from states that are not in the Salt Belt.

From time to time, you'll find a gem in the Salt Belt from someone that properly washed and treated the undercarriage but it may take a while unless it's a fairly new vehicle and corrosion hasn't set in.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I guess the importance of it would really depend on how long you plan on keeping it and whether you would DIY a lot of things on it.

If you plan on keeping it forever and doing a lot of work on it yourself, I would look for a car in a more moderate climate. Hot states suffer a whole set of other issues from heat other than cars from snow/salt states. I've found cars that's lived it's whole life in moderate states to be the best like Georgia, Kentucky, South/North Carolina, etc.

Most of my cars have come from moderate climate states however I picked up my MDX from upper Michigan and am regretting it since I'm a DIY guy and I've had to fight frozen bolts on everything I do. The previous owner has always washed his cars and kept it garaged but you still can't really do anything about the salt corrosion you pickup from driving it on the roads. It's gonna get into all the nook and crannies in the undercarriage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts