Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the timing belt done at a nearby dealer about 6 months ago. Today I took a look the coolant is right around 'min'. I do not really want to buy a big one gallon jug and have most of it sit in my garage.

I am wondering whether I can go to the dealer to fill it to 'max'? I guess the coolant is low b/c they did not completely burp the system last time.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If it's at minimum, I would just keep an eye on it. The level in the overflow will vary at different times but as long as it's around that point it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You might be A-OK if it is right at the min level cold. I would check it when the engine is at full operation temp and compare it to overnight cooled down. I wouldn't add more as long as it stays between the min/max level. If you haven't had problems before, there is a good chance you should be good to go. Since only owning Honda/Acura since 1990; I've had more problems with radiator caps leaking and once a crack in a radiator. Never had a water pump or head gasket issue with 8 vehicles with some taken to the max of 220,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked again today after 30+ miles, the coolant level is about 1 inch above 'min'. The level does change with temperature, operation etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts