1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Great forum, lots if info. 04 mdx touring

I have a rattling under my hood....
Sounds like a very noisy lifter.
From the drivers seat it sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine, trans/ battery area.
Its not a constant noise but only 2-3k rpm. Mostly during the transition from accel to deccel or shifting gears. Heavy acceleration sounds ok until i get off the pedal. Light acceleration, noise is faint. Doesn't make the noise so much in park or neutral. When it does and I'm under the front end it sounds like its coming from the trans.
Oils and fluids are new and topped up, timing belt unsure(165km), doesn't sound like the tensioner or that side of the engine.
Any ideas are welcome. I've done a lot of searching on this with no def answer. Checked the heat shields and any other vibration potentials i can think of
Wrist pin?
Vtech?
Trans issue?
Thanks guys
Btw, i have a fix for intermittent or no drivers door unlock should any one need it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check Evap solenoid it is located near the throttle body and is bolted to the intake plenum. If u are standing looking at your engine from the drivers side front tire, facing the passenger side front tire, it is to the right of the throttle body, has a wire plug going into it and is supposed to be isolated with rubber mount. Mine had shifted a little and was touching intake and resonating. To check if that is it, unplug it while the noise is occurring and see if it stops... Here it is...
they are noisy and only activate at certain engine conditions like temp and rpm

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll check it today. Mine is at any engine temp but it certainly sounds like the area it could come from

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If you can replicate the problem with the car in your driveway, get yourself a mechanic's stethoscope. Only a few bucks from Harbor Freight, and it will greatly improve your "audible troubleshooting", since it will be VERY obvious when you find the part making the noise. It is particularly difficult to track down noises with your bare ears if the noise is being transmitted from one area to another via the engine, accessories, etc., since the part making the noise might be a "small speaker" but it's then amplified by being coupled to something bigger (like an engine block). The stethoscope will make this a non-issue since it only "hears" what you're touching with the probe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts