Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member waiting for lease on 2000 Lincoln LS to expire in Sept 02. Have decided to
wait for 03 MDX, and am trying to use time to do homework before ordering. MDX.org
forums have been great help. Have noticed large wood trim kits (20 pc) on E-Bay.
What’s the story versus the meter trim available through Acura.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jack,

I would suggest the wood trim from woodtrim.com. You can get 19 pieces for ~ $305 and the match to the factory is excellent.

I installed all 19 pieces from woodtrim.com (which includes to meter piece).

Tim (Acura) only sells the meter piece for $99 and the wood shift knob ~ $88

so if you want more than just the shift knob and meter piece you have to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
woodkits?

New MDXer,

I'm curious about these woodkits. I went woodkits.com and
these kits seem like a good deal, on sale for $179..
Are these just very thin sheets of real wood that stick to the
existing plastic/simulated wood? Do they appear to be raised
due to being laid on top of the OEM plas-wood?
Does it look cheap or like an after market - after thought?
I'm trying to picture these kits and how they would look and I
can't :rolleyes:

thank you for the comments.

·
Registered
183 Posts
bapisz,

The pieces look like they belong, everyone who has seen the interior, even dealer, have been very pleased with the look.

As far as "real" wood or not, that doesn't matter to me. The pattern, color and fit do. And the product from woodtrim, meet those three criteria.

These pieces do not install over existing wood. They install onto the non-wood surfaces using a 3M backing. The install was easy but exacting. Do not misplace, once stuck it is stuck.

Worth every penny!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
woodkits?

New MDXer

thanks for the comments. But just to verify, are these kits REAL wood? if so, I am seriously considering getting a kit.
Did you get the Burlwood? How is the fit around the chrome trim
ring around the gear selector? does it blend smoothly?

thanks again.
I'm down in FL but I'm from CT to, I'm from Norwich (SE)

:cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
OOPS!

New MDXer

oops! disregard my above post. I just looked at the kit again
and as you stated above, these pieces go on top of the current
non-wood areas...DUH! I thought these were real wood pieces
that fit over existing plas-wood

thanks..

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what I can remember, the OEM "wood" trim on the X are not real wood either. I think there was some discussion on this a few months ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would not put flat wood trim on the MDX because the edges will pop out in 3 to 4 years. Specially if you park the car in heat a lot.
I would put molded wood trim. Their are a little more expensive, but will stay on and will not fade.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got mine off ebay

I paid $114...which is less than my local dealer wanted for just the meter trim. There were 18 pieces. The only pieces I have seen out there that I didn't get were trim for the door pockets on all 4 doors. They are an additional $100.

I didn't use the piece around the trip computer, because it was just too much wood. But, overall I am very happy with the look of this stuff. Easy to put on. But, it is definitely plastic. I saw this as a good thing because I could heat it with a hairdryer and mold it as needed...beveled off some edges to make them blend perfectly.

I like the MDX without any added trim, but this is an inexpensive way to personalize it a bit, and I am happy with mine.

I got the shift knob off ebay too for $19. It doesn't have the Acura logo on it, but it does have pistol grip notches for fingers and thumb, and I prefer it to the smooth cut of the Acura knob. This is real walnut burl and matches perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
21% Tint

New MDXer,

I'm considering tinting the front windows. How much did you pay? Do cops really stop people for it? I'm in NYC.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
HI, 35% is fine for NYC.Even if the Officer stops you and measures the light input.If you go 30% he will issue you a summons for it.You then must go to your local police station and show them the MDX with clear glass or 35% legal in NYC.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi MDXtrous,
Yes,Cops stop people for it BUT only when they have their measuring light devise with them. I did pay $50.00 fine BUT that was on my Corvette about 3 years ago.Never if you can help it pull up next to a cop at a stop light.If they can not see you and they happen to have the devise with them they WILL pull you over.

·
Registered
183 Posts
MDXtrous,

I was stopped once by a sheriff on a back road in NY. He measured the window and said it was at 14% and gave me a ticket. I paid ~ $60 in fine and court fees and still have the tint. It is worth it to me. It really depends on the cop, I have been side by side many times with no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
New MDXer
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing