Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the threads but cannot come up with a definitive answer: are the burlwood accessories like the shift knob, steering wheel and meter trim made from real wood or the plastic faux wood ??? I am trying to decide if they should make the wish list for Tim's accessory sale . . .

·
Registered
117 Posts
wood or not?

socaljd,

I know for sure that the meter trim kit is not wood, it's plastic and very easy to assemble yourself. it's actually pretty flimsy.

My dealer told me the steering wheel doesn't have wood because they dont want it to splinter into the driver in case of accident.

The shift knob could be wood...not sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All of the "burlwood" components are plastic. We bought an '02 MDX off of the showroom floor after the person who ordered it backed out...it had a 20 piece (roughly) burlwood kit dealer installed already....at first I liked the look alot, but as I own the car longer, it is starting to look more and more like plastic and less like burlwood!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The Burlwood shift knob from Acura is real wood (and the only real wood in the MDX). It comes in handy when I need to "knock on wood".

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Tim,

can you verify that the burlwood shift knob is indeed made of real wood as opposed to the 'plas-wood' found on the other interior trim ?
I need to finalize my wish list . . . :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Hello Tim,

socalJD said:
can you verify that the burlwood shift knob is indeed made of real wood as opposed to the 'plas-wood' found on the other interior trim ?
I need to finalize my wish list . . . :D
That was verified quite some time ago (by Tim). It *is* real wood.

I believe he stated the steering wheel was fiberglass, if memory serves.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Re: Hello Tim,

TheWorm said:

That was verified quite some time ago (by Tim). It *is* real wood.

I believe he stated the steering wheel was fiberglass, if memory serves.
Just to add. I think the factory shift knob is wood. However, there are aftermarket knobs that are "plastic wood". They both look nice though. IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts