Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
That sounds NSX Territory....
I hardly believe Honda is building a 11 Speed, 3 Triple Clutch for the 4 cyl TLX or Accord.
For the PILOT or MDX? man that is just wrong... Why would Honda put a DCT on a 2 Ton CUV with sub 300HP??? Its not like DCT can make miracles.

Honda desperately needs a Turbo or a +325HP Engine, Rather than more gears that make the car so underwhelming.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If they want to up the power, they need a new tranny. The current one is only good up to 290.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I only found Torque Limits for the 9 ZF and its 480lb tq... There is A LOT of room for improvement.

9HP48
86*kg
480 lb gas
450 lb diesel
Used in: Acura TLX, Chrysler 200, Chrysler Pacifica (2017– gas versions only), Fiat Doblò, Fiat 500X, Honda CR-V (2015-), Honda Pilot, Jeep Cherokee (KL), Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm not too sure that wiki is correct. There was a tech paper recently that showed the zf 9hp vs competition in terms of capacity (tq) and weight and why acura, chrysler, and others chose it vs the competition. the one shown for all those applications was the 9hp28, not the 48. The table also isnt cited, so i take it with a grain of salt. Need to find that chart again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
What is the advantage and development cost of the 11TCT (Triple Clutch Transmission) compared to expanding the sh-sh-awd of the NSX/RLX/MDX down to TLX/RDX/ILX Acura Models? Just add a Supercharger option to the 3.0L V-6 on the sh-sh-awd MDX with 7DCT. Not sure how a 11TCT can improve mpgs compared to the massive bump you get with sh-sh-awd and electric motors?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds NSX Territory....
Right. Or the baby NSX that is supposedly on the horizon. ZSX or whatever they're gonna call it.

Honda desperately needs a Turbo or a +325HP Engine, Rather than more gears that make the car so underwhelming.
Why and on what vehicle? Honda is all about economy and fuel mileage. They have the NSX and will soon have the more "affordable" version in the ZSX. The MDX is already quick in its class so any more HP will likely bring costs up and fuel mileage down (both negatives for Honda). And compared to its competitors, Honda cars aren't under powered.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 325HP Accord Sport or even an extra 35HP on my MDX but I can definitely see why Honda isn't doing that.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I only found Torque Limits for the 9 ZF and its 480lb tq... There is A LOT of room for improvement.

9HP48
86*kg
480 lb gas
450 lb diesel
Used in: Acura TLX, Chrysler 200, Chrysler Pacifica (2017– gas versions only), Fiat Doblò, Fiat 500X, Honda CR-V (2015-), Honda Pilot, Jeep Cherokee (KL), Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport
it is 480NM not LB, but still not bad..

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Right. Or the baby NSX that is supposedly on the horizon. ZSX or whatever they're gonna call it.

Didn´t even know about that :D

Why and on what vehicle? Honda is all about economy and fuel mileage. They have the NSX and will soon have the more "affordable" version in the ZSX. The MDX is already quick in its class so any more HP will likely bring costs up and fuel mileage down (both negatives for Honda). And compared to its competitors, Honda cars aren't under powered.

Because for its price range the MDX is underpowered, Look at the competition and the MDX offers the least HP. Its not a matter of 0 to 60 numbers, its about HP per Dollar ratio. Also the Sport Hybrid is supposedly having 325HP, BUT since it will cost more then now its more expensive than the competition and still offers what the Base MDX should be offering in terms of power.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 325HP Accord Sport or even an extra 35HP on my MDX but I can definitely see why Honda isn't doing that.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
it is 480NM not LB, but still not bad..
Correct Numbers are
354lb ft for gas
331lb ft for diesel

It almost sound too perfect for a Turbo V6 which should put Torque Numbers in that area.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Ok got an answer directly from ZF. It is indeed the 48. So that article was the incorrect information and the wiki is correct. Engineering safety factors aside, sounds like the 48 is perfectly suited for a small hp bump should Acura decide to leave the competition in the dust, but like others have mentioned, they have better things to spend their money on and have already accomplished sub six second 0-60 with this transmission.

From ZF:
The Acura TLX and MDX both have the 9hp48. The max input TQ is 480 Nm or 354 ft-lbs.

For further questions or updates please contact ZF Services North America, LLC., telephone: +1 847 478 6868.
Always provide your request ID when contacting us regarding this request, please.

Kind regards

Your ZF Service Desk

ZF Friedrichshafen AG
88038 Friedrichshafen,Germany

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I wonder if Acura made a new design 3.7L engine it will be enough to hit that 320HP sweet spot with today technologies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts