Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As painful as it is to write these words, it's true: I canceled our MDX order today after waiting since August. As a few of you read before, we're expecting our third kid later this year, and with just a few weeks to go before delivery (of the MDX), we've decided to cancel (the MDX) and opt for an Odyssey mi... min...Oh, I can't say it.

Not to rehash the whole MDX-ODY debate again, but for the needs of three kids, 50% more cargo space took priority over AWD and styling for us. For some of you who helped us think this through on another thread, three kids in an MDX is perfect. With three under the age of five, it just makes more sense for us to go with the ODY (especially w/ the DVD package). Still, it was a b***h of a decision. My wife and I sat in each of the vehicles within minutes of each other, and we still tried to convince ourselves that the MDX would work as well. But we pretty much knew what the rational decison should be. (In the end, it helps to know that it'll be my wife and not me driving the van most of the time, as opposed to my plan to dominate the MDX.)

So now I've got to return my granite green BSMs to Tim and figure out another reason to hang out here with all of you.

Oh, and the beauty part of all this is that leather-equipped ODY deliveries are running five or six months. Thank YOU, Honda gods. At least I've got my Zaino ready.

Now that we've made our decision, I want to say thanks to all the folks here who have made the wait not only tolerable, but enjoyable, educational, laughable and memorable. Especially thanks to Ghost, Worm, Remery, Marne, Donsev for clear thinking and good advice all along the way.

Thanks for everything. And enjoy your MDXs. I'll be admiring from a distance.

Best,
ablank

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Being a rational adult sucks sometimes! I think you made the right decision w/the Ody.

We're only on kid #1 ourselves, but after we eventually have kid #2, I'm gonna print out this thread so we don't risk a third ;)

Hopefully the wait will be tolerable -- sheesh, you're practiced in that at least!

www.odyclub.com if you haven't found it already.

And let us know how things are going!

Best of luck to you and your growing family!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dear Friend ablank,

It is so sad to see you go my friend, but really, if you must be in minivan he**--you can't ask for better than an Ody. And really, you're not leaving the family, you're just a cousin...heck, older brother really...

Keep us updated, and really, you've got the best reason I can think of to cancel your MDX order, amigo...

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
you're gonna love the Ody...

Hey Ablank--

congrats on the correct decision ( IMO ) in picking the Ody at this time... as my earlier response to you stated, there really is nothing better suited to family hauling than a minivan... and the Ody is the best so far. Give yourself a little time, and you can pull the Double Slam Dunk like we've done, and have your Ody and MDX too...

I know you'll be quite surprised at how capable the Ody is... it's just too bad so many minivan *naysayers* can't appreciate its virtues...Kudos to you for being flexible...

Best wishes--
HypoDenny

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheWorm said:

We're only on kid #1 ourselves, but after we eventually have kid #2, I'm gonna print out this thread so we don't risk a third ;)

Ah, but the MDX is a VERY expensive birth control method.

- ablank

·
Registered
594 Posts
You made the right choice

You did make the right choice. I didn't participate in the other thread, because I would have had to say to go with the Ody. As I thought it through my head I found myself wanting to yell 'are you kidding -- get the MDX', but when I put myself in that actual position, I realized that I would have to succumb to the minivan, and the Ody is the best choice.

You'll also save a few bucks over the MDX, and the RES system is a great option.

Best of luck to you, and as the tagling in the upper left corner says 'a home for MDX enthusiasts', doesn't mean a home for MDX owners, so feel free to hang out and continue to participate. Once the kids are a little older and capable of buckling themselves into the 3rd row on their own, you might just find yourself in an MDX yet....

·
Registered
411 Posts
ablank:

I say that you made a good decision. I was stuck in the same situation as you were. I know that Ody is the most practical vehicle for our needs. I just couldn't convince myself to be driving a minivan. I am extremely happy with my MDX, but still feel that I should have got an Ody.

Good Luck with your Ody, and maybe if you had made this decision earlier, I too would have been an Ody owner :)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
They're BOTH great vehicles -- more alike than they are different!:) And TheWorm, after number two arrives and is healthy, a vasectomy is a wonderful investment (ask the man who owns one!)

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the MDX and Ody both came with the option of Captains chairs in the 2nd row or 3-way split in the second row to allow easier egress to the 3rd row more people probably would opt for the MDX. It might be nice if the Ody also had AWD if it did we would have gone with it. Our road is steep and the last to get plowed in our town and our driveway is even steeper.

We got a third on the way too and have already tried the MDX(my cousins) with all three car seats in the second row and couldn't believe how easy it was to transfer the kids in and out compared to our cars. I am sure it may be even easier with the Ody given that the rear doors slide. The nice thing I did like about the MDX is that the seatbelts lock so no locking clip is needed and the seats go in and out very quickly so if we bring along grandma the 4-year-old can go in the 3rd row without much effort. Also this should be in the car seat thread,but the infant rear facing car seat should be either behind the driver or passenger seat and not in the middle due to the position of the center console.

The cargo room isn't bad either with the third row folded down we can fit our double stroller with out folding it down, but if you do this you should get the separation net so things from the cargo bay come flying into the passenger cabin (in case you have to stop quick or are in an accident). I don't think there is one for the Ody, but I am sure one could find an aftermarket one for it.

Congrats on the third, feel good about your decision, and don't be a stranger...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sandman said:
The cargo room isn't bad either with the third row folded down we can fit our double stroller with out folding it down...
Thanks, Sandman. In our effort to rationalize the MDX, we took a tape measure to the ODY and the MDX, comparing the area behind the third row of the ODY with the area behind the MDX third row PLUS half of the third row folded down (since this would be our three-kid configuration). We did the math, and the volume in the ODY was still about 75 percent more than the MDX with the seats like that. I was praying it would come out equal.

- ablank

·
Registered
715 Posts
As an owner of BOTH an MDX and Ody, it is hard to draw "ablank";) by going with either one.

Come back and see us and tell us how you like your new Ody!

PS The Ody forum pales in comparison to the this one in terms of activity, product knowledge and just plain fun!:D

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Sandman said:
Also this should be in the car seat thread,but the infant rear facing car seat should be either behind the driver or passenger seat and not in the middle due to the position of the center console.
Hi, I'm just curious if you have any new information about not putting a rear-facing seat in the middle. This is the subject of some debate, and it seems that different organizations are taking different approaches to it.

What I do know is that at least one seat maker (Evenflo) and some vehicle manufacturers specifically state not to put the rear-facing seat in the center of the back row. But where no such statement is made, it's the parent's call, and as far as I know there has been no empircal test data produced on the potential for injury, especially given specific vehicle models and car seats.

Here are some links on the subject:

http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats358/36/2.html

http://boards2.parentsplace.com/messages/get/ppcarseats68/38.html?embed=-1

We made the decision to put out Century Avanta seat in the middle position. Again, I think it comes down to a choice if there isn't enough conclusive data, and as far as I know neither Century nor Acura recommend against doing this in the MDX. If either of them made the recommendation, then I'd think there has been some proven concern. Without the recommendation, I felt putting it in the middle away from the point of a side impact was a much safer place. If one looks at side impact footage from crash tests and notices how much vehicle intrusion there is, many would want the car seat as far away from the intrusion as possible. The seat in the outboard position is simply more vulnerable to a side impact.

Also, with the Avanta and its base installed together, the seat sits so highly up that the center console would not hit the infant. Indeed, looking at videos of front-end collisions, the infant seat is likely to tip toward the front (hence the need to put a child under 20 lbs and/or under 1 year old in the rear-facing position). That would mean the center console has even less chance of hitting the infant, even though it would "weigh more" in such a collision.

Again, that's just my opinion and I think it's up to every parent to check if the manufacturers of the seat and the vehicle have any recommendation, and then to look at their seat and make their own decision.

I'm just kind of concerned over some comments I've read where police officers are seemingly arbitrarily stating the avoid-the-rear-center-armrest for all vehicles. Some vehicles have an armrest design where it doesn't fly forward upon impact, for example. Some vehicles have extremely short center armrests too. And some vehicles have very little side impact protection in the form of structural reinforcements.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Great links, William!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
octavian said:
PS The Ody forum pales in comparison to the this one in terms of activity, product knowledge and just plain fun!:D
You know, I didn't want to dis the fine Ody forum, but you're right. I started lurking there a couple weeks ago, and it's interesting how short the threads are and how impersonal the posts are. No lester89s over there, either. The coolest part was reading the complaints about the Edmunds town hall Ody site.

Still, now that I'm getting a van, I'll have to join. Right after I get my Sansabelt slacks and Dentu-creme.

And hey, if anyone has used the old fishing line technique to remove their MDX badge from the rear gate, I'll glue it to the Ody just for fun.

- ablank

·
Registered
19 Posts
I too have considered cancelling my MDX order and buying an Odyssey instead. Not so much because of the extra room, but because it is $5,000.00 less fully loaded. However, I can't see myself in a mini-van.

I am not going to cancel my order yet because it is for a Granite Green which is an endangered species and I don't want to lose my reservation just in case I do for some reason decide to go through with the delivery.

After much deliberation and trying to be rational (it's difficult to be rational since I want the MDX sooooooooooo bad) what I will probably do is wait for the new Honda Pilot. I'm a bit skeptical based upon the photographs I've seen, but it probably makes the most since for me only because of the lower cost.

By the way, my wife drives a 97 Odyssey, and it has been by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. As reliable as one could hope for and very family friendly. One drawback of the new Odyssey is the lack of a sunroof. Due to the ductwork for the rear air, they do not offer a sunroof as an option. Still, the Odyssey is one nice vehicle if you can get past the dreaded min-van (shh) word.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Shoot, how'd I miss this post? Hate it when work gets in the way of my hanging out on the site...

Anyway, good job on making a really tough decision, you did the right thing, and picked the best of the m-vans. My bro-in-law just got one last year - after his family rode in our X, he opted for a decked out silver Ody, and added the Navi. We did a little X and Ody caravan last summer down to Pipestone - I have to say when the 7 of us had to squish down to one vehicle for a day trip, we piled into the Ody over the X, and it was pretty darn comfortable!

Also, I've sure enjoyed having you here on the site, don't feel you have to opt out just cuz you're driving one of our predecessors! Stick around, chime in, hell come back as a troll, you can raise the bar! :D

Oh, and keep us posted on the new little Blank, we'll be watchin'!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess we got the best of both worlds. Last year in February, we got the Honda Ody and then in May, we got our MDX. We had our third kid a couple of years ago. Our Toyota Previa was getting old. We have a Lexus LS400 that is fine for 4, but not 5 since there is a hump in the middle of the back seat, and my husband had a VW beetle for his commute car. So, we ended up getting rid of all 3 cars and got those two. We never regretted the decision. They are both great cars and I am so glad we don't have to put on chains any more these days when we go up for our ski trips. But truthfully, the Ody would be a better choice if you have to choose between the two. Make sure you get the automatic sliding doors as that is a lifesaver when you are dropping and picking up the kids at/from school. Good luck!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hey ablank, I hate to disagree with all my distinguished colleagues on this one, but I think you should have stuck with the MDX.

First, I would draw the line between MDX and Ody at 4 kids, not 3. With only 3 kids, you could have 2 in the 2nd row designed to hold 3, and 1 in the 3rd row designed to hold 2. In other words, your kids would have TONS of space. As for cargo, I've only got one kid, but I've had occassion to carry 6 people and I've found that with the left third row folded down, with a little planning there is plenty of room for a stroller and lots of luggage back there, even with one person in the third row. And if you ever needed to carry something huge back there, you could always just put all three kids in the 2nd row. Remember, the MDX is very wide. On occassions where I've had 3 adults in the 2nd row, they always comment on how much room there is back there.

Second, especially if I lived up in Illinois, I would definitely want the security of driving a vehicle designed to defeat winter. It would put my mind much more at ease knowing my family would get safely through virtually everthing mother nature could throw their way, even if it meant they didn't have quite as much room as in the Ody.

Third, the VTM-4 system and 8 inches of ground clearance will allow you to take your family on some wonderful adventures off the beaten path to experience this great land of ours. I can't tell you how much fun we've already had (you should have seen where we went this past weekend :p ).

Fourth, kids love sunroofs (at least GG Jr. does) and you can't get one in an Ody unfortunately. Parents love sunroofs too :)

Fifth, looking back on my childhood, I still remember fondly some of the cool cars my Dad had. I gladly sat in the cramped back seat of his Trans Am even though I could have ridden in Mom's much bigger Buick. While the MDX is no Trans Am (thank God :p ), it does have an element of pizazz to it which I think your kids will enjoy.

So there you have it, I'm not saying the Ody won't be a fabulous vehicle for you, I'm just saying I personally would have picked the MDX from what little I know of your circumstances.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do agree with GatorGreg in that the MDX has enough room for three kids and cargo space. We went up to ski last weekend and bought tons of stuff including food for 3 days, 2 sleds, ski boots, luggage for a family of 5 (we had to use a large luggage plus two small handbags for all the stuff we needed). All that fit in nicely in the roomy cargo space. So having enough room for just your family is probably not a big concern.

HOWEVER, how often will you be taking more than 3 kids. For me, I carpool with two other families. I tell you, I always make sure I have the Ody when I have to drive on those carpool days. It is a real pain to have to get the kids into and out of the third row seats. With the Ody, I can do drop off and pick up without ever leaving the car (provided you have the automatic sliding doors because kids often have trouble shutting the doors). That isn't so easy to accomplish when you have the MDX. Kids these days have humongous backpacks. They have a very hard time climbing into the 3rd row with their backpacks and consequently I put them in the back. So I have to get out to get their backpacks for them.

Also, having all 3 kids in a row sometimes presents a challenge if they are in the "get out of my face" mode. The Ody with the two captain chairs in the middle and then a back row provides lots of "separation" space between kids.

As far as being cool and fun to drive, MDX wins hands down. But if you are talking about being practical, the Ody has my vote.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife and I discussed it a lot (we're expecting our 3rd in June) and we've decided that we're not ready (or willing) to be practical, yet--or maybe it was just me ;).

We're hoping to put our deposit down on a MDX soon :D.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts