Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a hole in the firewall of my 2001 MDX so I can wire a new switch in the cab. Does anyone know if there is a anywhere to put wire through from the engine compartment to the cab easily?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm nowhere near my MDX right now, but in general when I want to run a wire through the firewall, I'll just crawl under the dash and look for the most obvious feedthrough in the area I'd like the cable to come through. On modern cars, there are a bunch of 'em. You will obviously want to avoid any path that comes close to interfering with any mechanical feedthrough (like a brake or accelerator linkage) but sometimes the grommets that surround an enclosed mechanical item like a shift linkage have enough compliance to allow squeezing in a (small) cable, and that will never risk any kind of interference with anything electrical. One thing you'll want to do is to make sure that any cable you do add doesn't run entirely downhill to where it goes through the firewall, or you could end up bringing water that splashes up into the engine compartment (or that finds its way through the radiator while driving in the rain) into the cockpit. Normally just try to bring any wire UP into the grommet or feedthrough, and you won't have a problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.