Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with a wireless tire pressure monitoring system? It seems like a good idea, but this is the first I have heard of them for street vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I thought Hummer had a system like that, but it was not even wireless. And a compressor to pump them back up.
But their lastest model uses run-flat tires. Mounted on aircraft quality machined aluminum wheels that run about $600 each.
I digress, I need to do a search. A wireless system sounds like something on professional race-cars. Sounds expensive.
Besides my knees would really go stiff if I didn't bend down on occasion to check tire pressures.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I admit this is the essence of laziness, but I am looking on tirerack.com and they have a system for around $200. As I said, this is the first I have heard of such a system for street machines. They do make reference to the fact that some run-flat tires require such a system. At $600, such a system would lose me, but for $50 a tire...........I guess I am getting old........;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
As a compromise, I had on my previous car these tire gauges that you screw on and leave on each tire. Its supposed to turn from green to yellow and red as you need more air. The ones I had was not as accurate as I would like. My son saw a version in a catalog that is supposed to be accurate to 1 pound.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ifeldman said:
As a compromise, I had on my previous car these tire gauges that you screw on and leave on each tire. Its supposed to turn from green to yellow and red as you need more air. The ones I had was not as accurate as I would like. My son saw a version in a catalog that is supposed to be accurate to 1 pound.
Find out where he got those! I always thought that was a good solution. Simple but effective.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I KNOW I'm getting old when I start looking into gadgets that chack you tire pressure, but for a $40,000 car, $200 is not a bad deal. Where do you think you would go to get that system installed and how much do you think it would cost? Do you guys think the average person could install it? Thanks for your replies!!!

rjmoose

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know some folks on the bimmer board have used these systems and are happy.

These systems should - and will probably someday be - standard equipment. Some ridiculously high % of cars drive with underinflated tires and the cost to gas mileage is significant.

Personally, I check my tires every month or so. Problem is - many gas stations are getting away from free air!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Then again, an old-fashioned manual tire pump is good exercise, and most of us could use more than we get.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Interesting approach for tire pressure monitoring-

Some vehicles use the ABS Wheel velocity sensors. Each wheel sends a signal to a computer with each rotation. If any one tire starts to go low, its rolling diameter starts to decrease. Therefore the speed increases. The computer senses this and displays a 'check tire' warning. Of course each wheel will rotate at diff speeds based on turns, but over time, on average, they all should rotate the same number of revs per mile.

Neat, no extra hardware, no wheel balancing to deal with... Can't practically be retrofitted, though. Also, not sensititve enough for my tastes, and of course won't detect multiple tires loosing air simultaneously.

Don't know who's using this, but I ran across it on a auto electronics mfg's site.

Ard

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just bought one...

I just bought new wheels for my wife's car and thought I would try the Smartire system that tirerack sells. I felt like a little piece of mind for the wife and kiddies was worth the money for the system. Since I was paying for the wheel change anyway, I decided to go ahead and try it. I bought the generation 2 system with a remote full function display. It works very nicely and my only criticism is that the interior components are just too bulky. The remote display plugs into the standard display....I need to spend some serious time under the dash...for now, it is just laying on the floor/console.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts