Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to pull the trigger on a 2015 Advance MDX but the car does not have the original wireless headphones. Anybody know if alternate wireless headphones would work in the vehicle and if so, how you would sync with the entertainment system. My daughter was all excited about the wireless headphones, but come to find out they are not available. I do realize the wired headphones will work, but specifically asking about wireless and if any particular brands are recommended and ease of syncing.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are several to many options. I have a few XO Visions (universal IR) for spares for guests in the car. ($10) No idea if they are any good since it’s for the kids and I really could care less. They auto turn off so that good.

Just give google a quick search for Honda wireless headphones.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As for syncing it’s universal IR which requires no syncing. It’s just put batteries in and go at least that’s how it is for mine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There's no syncing required; the headphones receive the signal via IR, and there are two IR sender units, one on each side of the in-roof remote. As such, any IR headphones should work. The one thing you do want to make sure of is that you get 2-channel headphones, which will allow for the watching of, and more importantly, listening to, two different sources on the wide screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information, I will search for 2-channel IR headphones, glad to hear syncing is no issue.

VAGator

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have an 11 MDX Adv+Ent with 2 OEM IR headphones. I really didn't like them much because they rested on the ears, didn't block out road/cabin noise, and started to hurt from the pressure against my ears after an hour of having them on. Because the headphones didn't block cabin/road/front stereo/talking noise, you end up having to turn up the sound to block out everything unwanted (extra noise might hurt young ears).

Even wired headphones like smartphone earbuds can have the same results as the IR type. I would go for wired or IR wireless over the ear type. The advantage with the wired over the ear is the kids can take them with them on the plane, hotel room, beach, use at home, etc... I ended up purchasing Bose QC 25 wired and QC 35 BT/wired noise cancelling headphone because we travel so much with work and personal. Use the Bose headphones with MDX, iPhone, iPad, and Dell computer. I sometimes put on the QC-35 on with no music with noise cancelling enabled when I want to take a quick nap on the road when the wife is driving. Took my IR Acura/Honda headphones out the MDX since they are not really that great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have 11 MDX Adv+Ent with the single low res LCD screen. I mainly got the Entertainment system because of the rear heated seats. I only used the Ent system only a handful of times and it didn't take long before I realized I needed to upgrade the headphones.

I haven't purchased a DVD in years because I do Netflix streaming and 2 DVDs at a time. I use a program called Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate to convert the DVDs into an Apple format and upload to my 128GB iPad mini. I can usually get 10-12 DVDs per month to burn on my computer and have a ton of movies to switch in/out on the iPad mini. I also just tether my iPhone to the iPad when driving when I have 4G and my passengers can watch streaming video (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Home Comcast X1 DVR), YouTube, internet radio, or podcasts along with tons of apps, games, banking, music, games, internet, email, etc... Good thing about the iPad is it can go everywhere I go and I get more use from it compared to Ent system stuck in the MDX. I even found an app that connects to my Nikon DSLR camera with wifi SD card and upload all pictures and movies to my iPad as soon as I take them. No more waiting until I get back to the hotel room or from vacation to see how the pictures came out. More reasons why the Bose headphones work better for me compared to the IR types.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi mrgold35, thanks for the advise...curious on the wired headphones and how you leverage the 2-channel capabilities of the vehicle, so switching between dvd and music or if 2 screens are playing (which probably is uncommon). I purchased (2) Xinda IR head sets from amazon, see link below, will post results once tested.

\\https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7IIF1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VAGator
Good Choice - AUTO Shut-off is necessary. You don't need to spend too much on these, they are for the kids and you may suffer a break or two so you want inexpensive replacements.
Make sure you keep a few spare batteries handy.

Unfortunately for us anything wired gets taken along with the kids (earphone, charging cubes wires) etc. I made sure to stock the car and they quickly disappear because they take it with them and never return it - That's just how they are. At lease these IR ones, they have no use outside the car so never leaves the car, however we do find them on the floor a lot. I have 3 kids and several tag alongs. The older kids don't watch movies anymore, they are just on their phones the entire time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi mrgold35, thanks for the advise...curious on the wired headphones and how you leverage the 2-channel capabilities of the vehicle, so switching between dvd and music or if 2 screens are playing (which probably is uncommon). I purchased (2) Xinda IR head sets from amazon, see link below, will post results once tested.

\\https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7IIF1Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

VAGator
Hi. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I bought a pair of the headphones above and they worked great on my Honda Odyssey 2018 (AM/FM/DVD) on the rear entertainment system but on my 2008 MDX I can't get them to work with the DVD Unit.. they do work with the AM/FM/XM on the rear unit but when selecting DVD I get no audio. I tried them on the Power A position as well as on the Power B Position and same results.

Any idea? Am I missing something? Or are they not compatible with my Acura MDX 2008?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe the Audio output mode for your DVD player is not set to rear?
Not sure what else to do. If I select Rear and choose FM.. Radio can be listen through the HeadPhone. Same if I selected XM Radio. But when selecting DVD there is nothing playing on the headsets. If I switch the Audio to the Front Console DVD can be heard on the MDX Speakers no problem...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I haven't used my rear Ent system in years. I double-checked and I was able to listen to HDD, FM, XM, and DVD with the wired headphone connections in 2nd row with the Ent system. I know that isn't helpful and the +10 MDXs have an updated rear ent system compared to the 07-09 system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts