Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My LX20s are now 40 months old with about 40K km on them. I am slightly concerned about the traction I will get out of them this winter in Toronto, Ontario.

I am considering getting a dedicated winter set, which will prolong the life of the LX20s and offer safety this winter.
What do you guys recommend?

My shortlist based on availability and size (235-65-17):

Bridgestone WS80 -- top choice based on price and performance
Michelin XICE2 -- great, proven tires, but a bit pricey
GT Radial IcePro -- cheap, but should be much better than AS tires on their fourth year

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Just go to craigslist. I often saw deals for 4 wheels plus 80% tires for $900. The tires are often michelin or bridgestone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just go to craigslist. I often saw deals for 4 wheels plus 80% tires for $900. The tires are often michelin or bridgestone.
I was quoted CAD$1252 for a set of WS80s including steel rims, installed and balanced at Costco.
I'd rather pay the extra for a brand new set and warranty that comes with it.

Was that $900 just for tires and tires & rims mounted?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Rims and tires mounted. Sellers tend to be rich, and the setup would have cost them $2k+. It is a no brainer for me b/c one can easily find out the age and tread depth of the tires.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You can definitely find deals on used sets. I ended up with basically brand new Blizzaks and used OEM Acura wheels w/sensors for $600. The wheels have some curb rash but that's not a big deal for winter. I bought the Blizzaks off a guy that had a Cayenne that he decided he didn't want to drive it in the winter at all. The Acura wheels came from another guy selling a complete set with worn out summer tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can definitely find deals on used sets. I ended up with basically brand new Blizzaks and used OEM Acura wheels w/sensors for $600. The wheels have some curb rash but that's not a big deal for winter. I bought the Blizzaks off a guy that had a Cayenne that he decided he didn't want to drive it in the winter at all. The Acura wheels came from another guy selling a complete set with worn out summer tires.
Now that sounds pretty good. I'll have to keep my eyes peels for those deals.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked in the used market and there were some promising ads, but no one replied back to my messages.
So I decided to use a friend's employee discount and ordered a set of WS80s at $150 each and steel rims at $100 each.
With all fees and taxes, it comes to just over CAD$1100 after discounts. I am still waiting for the store to get them to install.
In the meantime, snow and sub-zero temperature has started over the weekend here in Toronto.

Stay safe everyone!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a quick update:
The WS80s are on my MDX now and they feel much softer compared to my Conti CC LX20s.
The WS80s are 17" with taller sidewalls, so I knew that was going to be the case going in.

I haven't seen sub 10*C snowy/icy weather yet, so I'll reserve my judgement until then.

At least I'm saving about $4/month -- $48 per year on my insurance.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My LX20s are now 40 months old with about 40K km on them. I am slightly concerned about the traction I will get out of them this winter in Toronto, Ontario.

I am considering getting a dedicated winter set, which will prolong the life of the LX20s and offer safety this winter.
What do you guys recommend?

My shortlist based on availability and size (235-65-17):

Bridgestone WS80 -- top choice based on price and performance
Michelin XICE2 -- great, proven tires, but a bit pricey
GT Radial IcePro -- cheap, but should be much better than AS tires on their fourth year
If you're looking for one of the BEST winter specific tires for a 2nd gen MDX, then I would STRONGLY encourage you to consider the Pirelli SCORPION WINTER tires
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/find-your-tyres/products-sheet/scorpion-winter#/overview

I've used a dedicated set of WINTER tires in the metro Detroit area for the past several years (using the previous version- Pirelli SCORPION Ice and Snow- and these make winter snow/ice covered roads very EASY to drive on- I can literally go 60 in the highway on these through thick snow and ice that limits the majority of cars to move at about 10-20 mph!!! no joking...the disparity is likened to a video game where you have super natural powers beyond your opponents...I will miss these dedicated WINTER tires for sure!...

I'm now leaning towards NOT having a dedicated winter set of tires and just choosing an ALL SEASON that can hopefully handle some winter wear and have my eyes set on the Continental ExtremeContact™ DWS06

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I looked in the used market and there were some promising ads, but no one replied back to my messages.
So I decided to use a friend's employee discount and ordered a set of WS80s at $150 each and steel rims at $100 each.
With all fees and taxes, it comes to just over CAD$1100 after discounts. I am still waiting for the store to get them to install.
In the meantime, snow and sub-zero temperature has started over the weekend here in Toronto.

Stay safe everyone!
Here is an example:

2012 BMW X5 Winter wheels & Tires Set

pretty sure you can get it at $850 or $900. Not sure whether BMW wheels can be installed on Honda's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is an example:

2012 BMW X5 Winter wheels & Tires Set

pretty sure you can get it at $850 or $900. Not sure whether BMW wheels can be installed on Honda's.
LOL I wouldn't want to put BMW wheels on my MDX anyway.
I ended up getting WS80s on steel rims. It actually doesn't look that bad since my MDX is black and running boards have been plastic dipped in black too.

Now I'm looking forward to some inclement weather to really put these to the test.
It's 11*C here in Toronto, ON so I feel like I jumped the gun a bit.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The wheels look nice. You just need to change the center cap to acura, if they fit. anyway, another is selling 4 acura wheels with 4 new michelin tires for usd 800. both are very good deals if you do not mind a bit of hassle.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
i double-checked:

for mdx: it is 5x120 bolt pattern, same as bmw. rim is 8x18 offset 45 for mdx and 8.5x18 offset 46. So I am pretty sure the bmw wheels are direct bolt-on in this case. there are pros and cons to go one way or the other. just want others to be aware of this option.

·
Registered
338 Posts
LOL I wouldn't want to put BMW wheels on my MDX anyway.
I ended up getting WS80s on steel rims. It actually doesn't look that bad since my MDX is black and running boards have been plastic dipped in black too.

Now I'm looking forward to some inclement weather to really put these to the test.
It's 11*C here in Toronto, ON so I feel like I jumped the gun a bit.
So now that we've had some weather so to speak.

What are your thoughts?

What I'm using:
Bridgestone Blizzak 17" DVM-2
2009 Honda Ridgeline 17" Wheels (used)
OEM TPM Sensors

Much better handling over the All Weather tires

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have been very good so far in fresh snow, packed snow, slush, and icy roads. They are very quiet, contrary to what some reviews pointed out. DM-V2s are supposed to be even better so I guess you're doing well with yours.
In hindsight, I should have looked for used Acura/Honda wheels with TPMS installed. The warning message is a bit annoying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts