Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the all seasons for the winter wheels, replaced the front calipers, lubed the rear slide pins, rear differential fluid change and oil change.

I am ready for the snowy mountains.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually every 20-25 - I always do one before and after the winter reguardless of miles becasue I do a lot of mountain driving on the snow during ski season.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Usually every 20-25 - I always do one before and after the winter reguardless of miles becasue I do a lot of mountain driving on the snow during ski season.
I see, I don't drive a lot of mountains, so I am wondering if it is enough to change it every 2 yrs.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After your intial change (around 15-20) you should be fine every 2 years assuming you do 10-15k miles a year. If you drive more than that I’d change it.

I do the transfer case fluid once a year in the spring. No matter what that fluid always seems fine to me.

Transmission fluid, every other oil change - Honda makes a terrible transmission.

For me as a rule I at least change fluids once a year regardless of miles (except brake fluid - that I do every 3 years)

·
Registered
588 Posts
After your intial change (around 15-20) you should be fine every 2 years assuming you do 10-15k miles a year. If you drive more than that I’d change it.

I do the transfer case fluid once a year in the spring. No matter what that fluid always seems fine to me.

Transmission fluid, every other oil change - Honda makes a terrible transmission.

For me as a rule I at least change fluids once a year regardless of miles (except brake fluid - that I do every 3 years)
Totally agreed, I am planning to do tranny oil next week, once a yr.

·
Registered
200 Posts
That's every 18,000 - 20,000 miles, hardly frequent, unless you don't follow MID.
Just checked ATF on my 15 Tech-SH-AWD, still in bright pink after 9,000 miles.

I see, I don't drive a lot of mountains, so I am wondering if it is enough to change it every 2 yrs.
Owners' Manual calls differential gear oil should be changed every 15,000 - 30,000 miles, depending on your drive style. But diff oil is easy to change, your diff will be very happy replacing the oil every 2 years.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's every 18,000 - 20,000 miles, hardly frequent, unless you don't follow MID.
Just checked ATF on my 15 Tech-SH-AWD, still in bright pink after 9,000 miles
??Are you the maintenance police or something ??

I go about 7-8k miles between oil changes.
I might stretch it out to 10k depending on weather and schedule. I am at 113k miles and it drives like new (when it starts)

I believe the mid suggests a transmission service every 30k but I don’t follow the MID for fluids because I drive in the mountains and on non paved roads a decent amount of time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
??Are you the maintenance police or something ??

I go about 7-8k miles between oil changes.
I might stretch it out to 10k depending on weather and schedule. I am at 113k miles and it drives like new (when it starts)

I believe the mid suggests a transmission service every 30k but I don’t follow the MID for fluids because I drive in the mountains and on non paved roads a decent amount of time.

Just changed my oil & filter today at 95,293 miles, MID showed 20% oil life remaining after 7,043 miles since last oil change. I don't care what others say or think, I doubt the oil filter we're using will handle 10,000 much less 15,000 miles between oil & filter changes. The ML320 that I replaced with this MDX had filter life of 10,000 miles, but it was fleece material, don't know what these Acura/Honda filters are made of. If you had ever seen these German Mann filters, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I check my ATF level and condition quite often. Whenever the color of ATF doesn't look good, I do drain & fill. I really miss the ML320 which had torque converter drain for that matter.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fram Ultra Synthetic (this is the ONLY Fram I'll use - the other models suck), or Mobil 1 oil filter will go 10k to 15k miles.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just checked ATF on my 15 Tech-SH-AWD, still in bright pink after 9,000 miles..
Colour isn't a great indicator of fluid condition. The problem some owner's have (with the 6 speed) is the shuddering or fluttering that Acura has diagnosed as the tranny fluid wearing out faster than expected and causing torque converter shudder (but not damage, supposedly). I get this after about 20k to 24k KILOMETRES. A fluid change removes almost 100 percent of the shudder. When I drain the fluid, it's bright pink, but it's definitely not doing it's job. There are a couple of TSBs about this (I've had the software update done, but the fluid still (in my opinion) degrades too fast. I've just resigned myself to frequent tranny fluid changes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I swapped out the all seasons for the winter wheels, replaced the front calipers, lubed the rear slide pins, rear differential fluid change and oil change.

I am ready for the snowy mountains.

View attachment 113801
How do you find those DM-V2s? I have the same winter tires and I'm not too impressed. I guess they're great on ice, but I find slush and snow performance lacking. I had Gislaved Nordfrost 5 SUV on my 2006 from 2012 to 2018 and found them much better. I've had x-ice xi3 on a car (so not an apples to apples comparison) and also found them to perform better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do a tranny fluid change (drain 4 litres and put in 4 litres) a minimum of twice per year along with the seasonal oil changes regardless of miles. Its cheaper than replacing the tranny, in my opinion, and very easy to do. Already under there (if DIY) so to me its a no brainer. What I don't read about here is changing the tranny filter. Just had mine replaced (beyond my dexterity level) and along with the fluid change, I do enjoy a smoother shift. For the cost of the filter, I will have that done on an annual basis. Overkill...possibly but so is paying for a very expensive transmission. Y

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...... What I don't read about here is changing the tranny filter. Just had mine replaced (beyond my dexterity level) and along with the fluid change, I do enjoy a smoother shift.
I plan to change the filter in the spring when I do a 3x3.
Acura says this is a non service part. I believe it’s right under the battery box. Anyone here change it and have the details on what to do?

How do you find those DM-V2s? I have the same winter tires and I'm not too impressed.
I dont really have a comparison to go off of. So far they have been great for me and my conditions. I haven’t had any control or slipping issues where I would say “these tires sucks -need to look at another brand”

There’s this one upward turn I travel on and 75% of vehicles have trouble going up on it when snow starts to falls. I glide right up.

I stop fine with no slipping or jerking. I suspect I have another year or two on these tires before they need to be replaced. I’ll know this season.

.....don't know what these Acura/Honda filters are made of.
I believe the Honda oil filters are made by Fram now. I believe the top holding parts are made of cardboard held by glue.

Believe it or not the Walmart Supertech filters are decent. Metal holding parts. No cardboard and glue. I no longer use Honda oil filters. I generally use Wix filters. Every now and then when I go to the Acura parts desk for parts the guy will throw in a few filters which I’ll use in the summer when I change my oil more frequently.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I plan to change the filter in the spring when I do a 3x3.
Acura says this is a non service part. I believe it’s right under the battery box. Anyone here change it and have the details on what to do?

I believe the Honda oil filters are made by Fram now. I believe the top holding parts are made of cardboard held by glue.
I think it's similar to this (for the tranny filter)

I thought I'd recently read somewhere that Honda switched back to Filtech for their filters which would be awesome, but I could be wrong.
The only Fram I'd consider (and do use), is the Ultra Synthetic. It's made with metal endcaps, metal mesh reinforced media, and silicone ADBV. The other Frams are mediocre for the price.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I also use WIX 57356XP filters, it says "Made in USA", hoping it's better than MIC. It also says for synthetic oil.

I replaced ATF filter when I got my 2015 Tech AWD early this year. I did 4 times 4 qts ATF drain & fill(I'm too scared to remove cooler line), then the ATF filter change. Took some photos, hope they help.

The hardest part was removing battery tray. Two 12 mm bolts are holding battery tray on top side as well as two other 12 mm underneath which you have to remove by feel. Then the filter is held with two 10 mm bolts - no biggie. Detaching the hoses from filter was bit hard for me, but eventually came out.

2015 MDX ATF filter replacement_01.jpg

2015 MDX ATF filter replacement_02.jpg

2015 MDX ATF filter replacement_03.jpg

Bracket holding filter - 2x 10 mm bolts
ATF filter.jpg

2015 MDX ATF filter replacement_04.jpg

2015 MDX ATF filter replacement_05.jpg

20190213_103428_1550099168605_resized.jpg

After thought; Battery tray is hard to remove, even harder to re-install. Next time when I need to remove battery tray, I'll cut slits underside the same way I did to my old TL. It's much easier to re-install the battery tray back.

TL Battery Tray - before.jpg

TL Battery Tray - After.jpg

Sorry for bluerred image
I'll probably use hacksaw to cut slits

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you notice any difference when you changed the ATF filter?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Did you notice any difference when you changed the ATF filter?
Not really, after 4 times 4 drain and fill. I'm not super sensitive like others, I just do that as part of routine maintenance. My 2015 MDX shifts very smoothly without any issue at 95,000 miles.

I used to change ATF filter on my 2006 TL a few times. Different type of filter, the exposed paper element (like air filter) looked almost clogged with fine particles after 60,000 miles. I believe ATF filter needed to be changed every so often, that's why it's there and accessible although not very easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts