Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on my second windshield replacement in my 2018 MDX Base. First one I had the dealer replace with OEM glass due to what I've heard with aftermarket problems and sensors. Our insurance is an absolute pain to get to cover OEM. They won't do it. So we paid out of pocket the first time. Now this second time, I really am not wanting to spend $1500 on another replacement. Has ANYONE had any luck with after market windshield replacement and calibration? Any tips? Bonus if you're in Houston and can give a recommendation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm on my second windshield replacement in my 2018 MDX Base. First one I had the dealer replace with OEM glass due to what I've heard with aftermarket problems and sensors. Our insurance is an absolute pain to get to cover OEM. They won't do it. So we paid out of pocket the first time. Now this second time, I really am not wanting to spend $1500 on another replacement. Has ANYONE had any luck with after market windshield replacement and calibration? Any tips? Bonus if you're in Houston and can give a recommendation.

Thanks.
Just the opposite experience. When we recently had a cracked windshield on our 2021 Advance hybrid the insurance company required the replacement glass to be OEM and required the shop have the proper equipment for calibration. Used the shop the local acura dealer sub'd replacement to, took about 4 weeks to get an OEM replacement glass for they hybrid advance, it has an electrically heated lower element. I'd try finding a shop that will go to bat for you for an OEM glass and have them deal with insurance.

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
Our insurance is an absolute pain to get to cover OEM.
It might be worth to pay a little more premium and have OEM parts included for any claim. I did that on my 19 MDX Hybrid, which paying $21 more annually.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It might be worth to pay a little more premium and have OEM parts included for any claim. I did that on my 19 MDX Hybrid, which paying $21 more annually.
In my case I don't have a premium for OEM parts but the insurance company would ONLY authorize replacing my MDX windshield with OEM glass.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Just the opposite experience. When we recently had a cracked windshield on our 2021 Advance hybrid the insurance company required the replacement glass to be OEM and required the shop have the proper equipment for calibration. Used the shop the local acura dealer sub'd replacement to, took about 4 weeks to get an OEM replacement glass for they hybrid advance, it has an electrically heated lower element. I'd try finding a shop that will go to bat for you for an OEM glass and have them deal with insurance.
Where did you find a 2021 hybrid? Since they don’t exist? On the subject, I had to replace the windshield on my BMW. StateFarm paid for OEM, No problem what so ever.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Aftermarket will not work. Surprised your insurance is even suggesting aftermarket glass for a car with ADAS. Mine only gave me the option for OEM.
I'm on my third windshield in the 2.5 years I've owned my X. Adjust your plan for no/low deductible glass coverage.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Where did you find a 2021 hybrid? Since they don’t exist? On the subject, I had to replace the windshield on my BMW. StateFarm paid for OEM, No problem what so ever.
Brain fart on my part. Was posting on another site about my 2021 motorcycle, then to MDX site, Brain wasn't in autocorrect mode, fingers ahead of Brain. MDX hybrid is a 2019. And State Farm is our insurance company as well. Comment from state farm was that they had experienced enough problems with non oem windshields and calibration issues at least for the Acura that they won't approve anything other than OEM.

Now I also suspect that the OEM supplier(s) for Acura likely sell the exact same glass that the sell to Acura to glass shops as well. But who the supplier(s) are and what glass it is who knows. And if it passed the same QC checks as the OEM.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance SH AWD
89 Posts
Ok. This is my wheelhouse. Can't say who I work for, but 16.5 years under my belt. First off, states vary on auto policies. Kentucky for example, has state mandated deductible free safety glass coverage. Includes headlights AND glass. Door glass, mirror glass, etc. Some auto policies offer an OEM parts endorsement, some don't. Most people decline it but still demand OEM parts, go figure. Some companies are OEM only below 10 or 15k miles for 1 year on new car only. Some, new parts regardless of age, if below 15k miles. The company I work for will never utilize aftermarket headlights or aftermarket sheet metal. Most companies utilize aftermarket everything. Your shop "going to bat for you" is a misnomer. A shop can't change your auto policy coverage or agreement. Just doesn't work that way. The only options you have if your auto policy considers aftermarket glass is 1) pay the diff for OEM or 2) demand OEM if the aftermarket glass does not fit or function same as OEM or has a defect or defects. Aftermarket glass has lower heat option, acoustic glass, forward collision camera window, rain sensor, you name it. Biggest issues: waves in glass, appears distorted while driving, upper dam not flush with roof, vin plate cutout not centered, and you as the Insured have to prove these issues exist if so. But more important than any of these is the service of removal and installation. The urethane must be cut well, and they must not accidentally cut into the painted opening area, as the car will then rust and leak water. Also if not careful, they can damage cowl trim, headliner, pillar trim, you name it. Chose a reputable local auto glass company rather than chain. If you must choose a chain, Glass America is the best. If first glass aftermarket is bad, do not "try" to install another aftermarket. Digging out a windshield several times is not ok. You have a choice on who installs the glass, it does not have to be safeli.... Lastly, my 2018 Advance oem windshield leaves much to be desired. It is wavey on both left and right sides. Turns out every MDX is like this. An aftermarket Pilkington windshield might actually be better than OEM glass, in this respect. Food for thought. The OEM windshield supplier for these vehicles (not made by Honda) has a terrible mold for the windshield unfortunately. The third party market offering from Pilkington might actually be better, if such an offering exists.

·
Registered
2022 Mdx Tech
15 Posts
I had a couple windshield replacements on my old 19’ Tech. The installer said after market wouldn’t even work properly with the sensors so, he called the insurance company and told them he needed OEM windshield to even do the job. I didn’t deal with anything and got the proper windshield. He said with an aftermarket windshield, the cameras won’t work properly for the safety systems and he has a guy come in to calibrate them

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a couple windshield replacements on my old 19’ Tech. The installer said after market wouldn’t even work properly with the sensors so, he called the insurance company and told them he needed OEM windshield to even do the job. I didn’t deal with anything and got the proper windshield. He said with an aftermarket windshield, the cameras won’t work properly for the safety systems and he has a guy come in to calibrate them
Here is a question. If PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) is the manufacturer who supplies a contract with an OEM fulfillment and stamps an OEM part number on a windshield, but they also supply the same windshield to glass companies under the PGW name without the OEM stamp, does the camera not work with that windshield? Another question. Is there a difference between Carlite, PGW and Pilkington? Another question. What if the wavey OEM Honda glass is manufactured in China but Pilkington perhaps has a North American offering that is of a higher quality.
Another question. A guy at a dealer, what kind of structural glass training has he received and what sort of information has he been provided outside of his dealership or brand?
How does his information compare to the Auto Glass Safety Council?
"A guy at a dealer" may have tried a cheap glass from a low quality manufacturer, as instructed by an auto insurance company, but this does not qualify him to make statements about the global automotive glass industry.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Here is a question. If PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works) is the manufacturer who supplies a contract with an OEM fulfillment and stamps an OEM part number on a windshield, but they also supply the same windshield to glass companies under the PGW name without the OEM stamp, does the camera not work with that windshield? Another question. Is there a difference between Carlite, PGW and Pilkington? Another question. What if the wavey OEM Honda glass is manufactured in China but Pilkington perhaps has a North American offering that is of a higher quality.
Another question. A guy at a dealer, what kind of structural glass training has he received and what sort of information has he been provided outside of his dealership or brand?
How does his information compare to the Auto Glass Safety Council?
"A guy at a dealer" may have tried a cheap glass from a low quality manufacturer, as instructed by an auto insurance company, but this does not qualify him to make statements about the global automotive glass industry.
in response to the first question. there is a calibration procedure for the camera, LKAS, etc. when a new windshield glass is installed Dealers AND good glass shops have the equipment to do the calibration. They can do the calibration on non factory glass. Issue is does it calibrate or not? OEM glass at least appears to have pretty much a 100% pass rate on calibration. Aftermarket, hit and miss. Now what is the pass rate for various glass mfg? Don't have a clue. Apparently it is enough of an issue that our insurance company requires OEM glass. (at least when I had ours replaced)

Now the downside of OEM glass may be availability. may take longer to get than OEM. In our case it was about 4 weeks to get an OEM glass for our hybrid advance. Now the advance glass is different than the base and tech. It also has a electrically heated lower section by the wipers and IIRC also more sound deadening than the tech and the advance has lower sales volume than tech so that may have been part of the time. But then I don't know how long a tech glass would have taken.

As for the wavy glass, I've not noticed it on our 2019 advance hybrid, either with the Original glass or the OEM replacement. Doesn't mean it isn't wavy, just haven't noticed it. One of these days I'll check and see what I notice.

·
Registered
2022 Mdx Tech
15 Posts
in response to the first question. there is a calibration procedure for the camera, LKAS, etc. when a new windshield glass is installed Dealers AND good glass shops have the equipment to do the calibration. They can do the calibration on non factory glass. Issue is does it calibrate or not? OEM glass at least appears to have pretty much a 100% pass rate on calibration. Aftermarket, hit and miss. Now what is the pass rate for various glass mfg? Don't have a clue. Apparently it is enough of an issue that our insurance company requires OEM glass. (at least when I had ours replaced)

Now the downside of OEM glass may be availability. may take longer to get than OEM. In our case it was about 4 weeks to get an OEM glass for our hybrid advance. Now the advance glass is different than the base and tech. It also has a electrically heated lower section by the wipers and IIRC also more sound deadening than the tech and the advance has lower sales volume than tech so that may have been part of the time. But then I don't know how long a tech glass would have taken.

As for the wavy glass, I've not noticed it on our 2019 advance hybrid, either with the Original glass or the OEM replacement. Doesn't mean it isn't wavy, just haven't noticed it. One of these days I'll check and see what I notice.
This is right on. In fact, the windshield shop I worked with had ordered an aftermarket windshield at first and even showed me the difference with the OEM. At the top of the windshield where the camera is, the opening where it sits between the blackened part is much smaller than the OEM windshield. He actually installed it and had it calibrated and it wouldn’t calibrate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is right on. In fact, the windshield shop I worked with had ordered an aftermarket windshield at first and even showed me the difference with the OEM. At the top of the windshield where the camera is, the opening where it sits between the blackened part is much smaller than the OEM windshield. He actually installed it and had it calibrated and it wouldn’t calibrate.
Who was the manufacturer of the glass? Facts are important for the spread of knowledge. If I say I ordered something on eBay and it was not a good product, that is not helpful unless I say "I ordered a product from xyz technologies on eBay"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Brain fart on my part. Was posting on another site about my 2021 motorcycle, then to MDX site, Brain wasn't in autocorrect mode, fingers ahead of Brain. MDX hybrid is a 2019. And State Farm is our insurance company as well. Comment from state farm was that they had experienced enough problems with non oem windshields and calibration issues at least for the Acura that they won't approve anything other than OEM.

Now I also suspect that the OEM supplier(s) for Acura likely sell the exact same glass that the sell to Acura to glass shops as well. But who the supplier(s) are and what glass it is who knows. And if it passed the same QC checks as the OEM.
It seems if the replacement you need is still used in new Acuras, you're relegated to the back burner for getting your w/s. It seems they put themselves at the head of the line and they only provide to non production sources when they have plenty of excess inventory for production. In other skru the faithful customer. I waited 5 months for an RDX 2021 w/s. Luckily it was still useable.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It seems if the replacement you need is still used in new Acuras, you're relegated to the back burner for getting your w/s. It seems they put themselves at the head of the line and they only provide to non production sources when they have plenty of excess inventory for production. In other skru the faithful customer. I waited 5 months for an RDX 2021 w/s. Luckily it was still useable.
In my case it was transportation that took the time, windshields were in the warehouse but on the east coast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts