Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the maximum amount of RAM that Windows XP home edition can address? I'm trying to put together a relatively inexpensive new computer for home for Christmas.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
710 Posts
Although I didn't try, it should be able to address up to 2 Gigs. I have 512, and it hardly ever uses swap (with a couple of servers running).

admin.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In most machines the limit will be the number of memory slots and the chip size. Most desktops only have 2 or 3 slots. Usually you'll put 256 or 512mb chips.

Running XP with less than 256mb would not be recommended. We order 512mb on new XP machines.

BTW, if you're going to update from an earlier Operating System, reformat the disk and reinstall. We've found that updating produces a slow running system.

With the price of XP Pro over $200 to update a system, you may as well buy a new Dell and get XP Pro and Office Small Business. It's like getting the computer for less than $100 when you consider just buying the software.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hi Kflint, here is the maximum for Windows XP 32-bit version:

Memory 4GB
Virtual Memory 4GB
Pagefile 16TB
System Cache 1GB

But remember your motherboard has a maximum addressable memory range! And I don't know of a "home user" board with more than 2GB addressable memory space.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I am putting together a new machine. A saleman tried to tell me I needed XP Pro if I wanted to install more than 500 meg of RAM. That didn't sound right to me. The motherboard can take more, and I am going to install 1 gig for now.

This board is amazing. I looked for an hour on XP and Windows boards with no success.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts