Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have tinted the front driver and passenger windows - what percentage did you get and how does it match the rear?

When I had my 2011, I got 20% and it matched very well. I got the same, 20%, on my 2015 but it looks a little lighter than the rear. Did the factory move to 15% for the rear with the 3rd gen?

Just curious any one else's experience. I was always used to 20% on my prior vehicles but I'm thinking of redoing it with 15% for my 2015. Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My tint guy says to use 20% to match, but I opted for 32%. I had an Outback with 20% and it was hard to see out at night. I'd say, 20% should be good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 20% on my front windows and it looks like a match to me. Most good tint shops will know what the law is in your area and what tints are legal. Where I live, 20 is legal, but 10 miles down the road it isn't.

·
Registered
391 Posts
good thing i found this thread as i had a similar question about what the tint shade was to install on the driver and passenger's side windows to match the back and rears. however, MA state only allows 35% in the front.

my other questions is are all tints the same? does anyone know?
does one have UV block absorbents or not? that's the most important to me; i'd like function more than form.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
No, not all tints are the same. Almost every tint will have UV A and B blocking, but not all will have good solar heat blocking specs (people tend to think that blocking UV blocks heat, which is not the correct way to look at tints). There are also multiple types of tint, like ceramic, metallic, just regular dyed, and carbon. Ceramic and carbon (there is also nano carbon and just regular carbon) are $$$ and value is arguable on some carbons. Highly regarded tints are 3M Crstalline and Huper Optik Ceramic, as they offer the most performance at a reasonable cost. There are limitations on where you can install such tints though, like I don't think installers will do Huper Optik on the windshield and back glass. 3M options are usually quite a bit cheaper too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No, not all tints are the same. Almost every tint will have UV A and B blocking, but not all will have good solar heat blocking specs (people tend to think that blocking UV blocks heat, which is not the correct way to look at tints). There are also multiple types of tint, like ceramic, metallic, just regular dyed, and carbon. Ceramic and carbon (there is also nano carbon and just regular carbon) are $$$ and value is arguable on some carbons. Highly regarded tints are 3M Crstalline and Huper Optik Ceramic, as they offer the most performance at a reasonable cost. There are limitations on where you can install such tints though, like I don't think installers will do Huper Optik on the windshield and back glass. 3M options are usually quite a bit cheaper too.
thanks.

yea. saw those 3M tint types and did not know there were so many different ones.

i am more interested in blocking the IR (heat), the UV-A and UV-B come a close second in the importance list.

will have to shop for pricing.

ive seen some brands that require you to go to an installer to use their product. i'd like to buy a role or pre-cut ones for the your DIY'er, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts