Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2014 MDX and a 2017 RDX.
RDX was driving along the highway and the left passenger window popped and shattered with almost no warning. I know there have been some issues with the windshields having stress point issues. Has anyone experienced problems with driver or passenger windows?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I've never heard of that happening with a door window and with the flexible seal surrounding them they're not really under much pressure or anything - not equivalent to a windshield. Is it possible a rock or something hit it? Sometimes rocks and debris are launched at angles when hit by the tire of a vehicle in front but to the side of you.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yikes. Drive by shooting? I'm only half joking.

Tempered glass can fail abruptly. But usually after it has been compromised somehow. Like the glass computer desk my daughter had in her room. Some idiot HVAC guy stepped on it while he was messing with a ceiling vent, and weeks later it failed catastrophically. While she was sitting in front of the iMac. Damn lucky she only got a few scratches, but you coulda heard her shriek from 10 miles away! :scream:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Is it possible a rock or something hit it? Sometimes rocks and debris are launched at angles when hit by the tire of a vehicle in front but to the side of you.
This is a good thought. I shoot rocks at my buddies with my bicycle tire all the time, and sometimes I score a hit. Once I heard one hit a car that happened to be passing by. Time to look "casual", like nothing interesting just happened... nothing at all...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you thoughts. My guess is something must have kicked up from another car and hit the window just right. Doesn't sound like there are any issues regarding windows/shattering.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sunroofs are known for spontaneous explosions but would concur with others that a side window disintegration was probably an outside influence like a rock or gang bangers sending their regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts