Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on the last leg of my 7500 mile cross-country road trip, I catch a rock about 2" in from the middle of the windshield at the left (driver's side) pillar. Now I have a nice L-shaped crack that is slowly working its way across the windshield.

Here's the thing...

The windshield is a replacement made by Pilkington, installed after I test-drove the car before buying it (by the previous owner, rather than sticking my insurance company with the necessary replacement windshield it needed). When we picked up the car after buying it, both my wife and I noticed a LOT more wind noise than during the test drive. I had a vague recollection about a discussion where aftermarket windshields can result in more wind noise than a factory windshield.

So... it's time to go replace the windshield again... I wonder if any of you have ever had this issue with a replacement before, or can recommend a particular brand of replacement windshield that did NOT result in extra wind noise. I figure it's better to go into the process armed with all the facts than spend the next year driving a noisier-than-necessary MDX.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Acura and may auto makers use glass with an "acoustic" layer in the middle to quiet down on noise when driving. Many aftermarket windshields do not have this and let in more road noise.

Furthermore, some installers damage the clips and trim around the windshield during the replacement. If some clips/trim aren't secured properly, air can rush under and around them causing even more noise!

Depending on your state, glass may be covered through your insurance. I would recommend Honda/Acura glass be put in which is specified as PPG Glass.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the glass IS covered by my insurance (with a $0 deductible, no less) so you can bet I'll be insisting on really good glass.

I haven't seen anything that makes me think there's any problem with the installation of the current Pilkington windshield - the wind noise seems to be coming through the glass, not around it. But I'll be watching the installer like a hawk to see if anything goes south during the install of the new windshield.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, I just checked, and the Pilkington replacement windshield in my MDX IS an acoustic windshield (it's got a small "ear symbol" in the lower right corner). I read online comments that others have found that particular windshield to be a lot noisier than others. I have specified to Safelite that I don't want a Pilkington windshield for my vehicle (though I have been very happy with the replacement Pilkington windshield in my BMW 330i). The replacement is scheduled for Monday, so let's see what happens...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, had the windshield replaced yesterday (though I still haven't driven the car yet).

The installer shows up with a non-OEM windshield (an AP Tech Acoustic Shield), and we had a discussion. He assured me that - based on my description of the noise - that he'd find an installation error from the previous windshield replacement. I was a little skeptical, but sure enough, when he pulled the windshield, there was a 2-3" void in the silicon sealant down by each of the wipers (each kind of directly in front of the respective front seat). That met the apparent acoustic source of the noise to a T, so I'm sure that's what I have been hearing for the last year.

In addition, there were a few rust spots up around the top part of the windshield where the previous installer apparently nicked the paint cutting out the old windshield. Fortunately, the old windshield was replaced only a year ago, and I live in the desert, so the rust was only superficial. If I lived in the northeast, and if it had been more than a couple years, the results could have been very different. The installer masked off around the windshield frame, and ground the paint around the top of the windshield down to bare metal, then prep'd it with rust converter, cleaned and primed it with brush-on primer that happily matches the color of my MDX (black).

In the end, I was extremely happy with the Safelite tech's work, and am looking forward to a quiet ride (I'll report back on this thread if there are any glitches from the first highway miles, but I doubt that's going to happen).

I'd also add that my previous comment about the Pilkington windshield being noisy has to be taken with a very large grain of salt, because any wind noise from the windshield would be FAR outweighed by the wind noise from a 3" hole in the sealant at the bottom of the windshield.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I'd throw in a quick update. I finally (!) got a chance to drive the MDX on the freeway, and am happy to report that the bad wind noise (which I now know was caused by gaps in the adhesive at the bottom of the windshield) is gone. There is pretty much no wind noise at all up to around 70mph, and at 75mph, the wind noise from the windshield is considerably less than that of the A/C fan running on the lowest speed (which is pretty dang quiet). I'm a happy camper.

Thing is, I can't really make a meaningful comparison between my "AP Tech" windshield and the original (since I only test drove the car before the previous owner replaced the windshield), or the Pilkington (since it was installed incorrectly). But I would be surprised if any windshield was really a lot better at preventing wind noise than the one I have now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you have a roof rack on your X? I hear some wind noise around 60-70 mph and I always thought it was from my roof rack. But then the noise sounds like it could be coming from my drivers side vent. Didn't really look into it like that.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I do have a roof rack, though I can't say I ever really noticed any noise coming from "up there". I DO hear an interesting whistle every once in a blue moon when a cross-wind hits me just right... it's a hollow, whistling sound coming from somewhere near the roof on the driver's side near the front (could be from the roof rack).

In my case, the obvious wind noise was coming from a gap in the adhesive, which (I suppose) could be the case with your wind noise, too (assuming your MDX has a replacement windshield). I suppose there are a host of other possibilities though... chasing down stuff like this is always challenging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts