Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my case the noise was coming from the rubber trim rubbing against the paint creating a flapping/rubbing sound. Typically the dealer will wither lube the seals with silicone grease or replace the rubber seals. Either way it is a temporary fix. The solution I came up with is exactly how automaker keep rubber/plastics parts from squeaking when rubbing against other part and that is to cover one side with a felt to eliminate the sound. I have done that exact same thing on the door seals using an adhesive backed felt tape. I purchased a roll from Amazon for $8.25. So far I am quite pleased.

Installing the felt.

Shot from the drivers door after installation.

This shot is with the door closed.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Nice. My only curiosity is how this holds up against weather, namely water. With felt not being a sealing type material and with how water finds its way through any tiny opening, I wonder if this would introduce some water intrusion issues. One thing I wanted to take a look at was if there was an ability to stick some tubing inside of the seal to effectively push the seal toward the body more. I did such in another car of mine and that worked wonders for nearly a decade.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had that noise and in the end it was the bolt holes on the mirrors. Sit inside the car with a rubber hose and have someone direct compressed air lightly at the windows, seals etc until you find the exact spots that leak, then figure a fix for them. Sometimes it is an alignment issue, sometimes you can simply flex the seal a little to make it better. Lots of front windows on MDX are loose - the runners inside the door need work - Acura adds a little rubber track to tighten them up. A loose window will make noise too. My MDX has double door seals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts